KiteLife Forum

Newbie Journey, Rev learning tips

happysuperbutton

Figuring out this move has been the most fun I've had so far with the kite. Painful on the yanking but so much fun trying to catch or detangle all the fails before it all comes crashing down and hits the ground.

Still trying but weeee!!

The samurai slide pointer is helping, noticing to start it needs somewhat of a semi-flickflack on the trailing edge so the kite face gets parallel to the ground. Thanks Mark!

• Like 1

Great explanations Mark. 🤘

Another thing to take a good long look at is the common position the kite is in when a skilled pilot makes the hit (watch videos), laid out, bottom wing away. Samurai slide angle indeed, thisnsets that back brake line up away from the pilot so you can start it like an old prop.

POP is key, not yank (implying follow through), the goal is to strike the end of the line with all the power you need, and then let everything slack to allow the rotation, following through the rotation with a little bicycle style movement.

Come pick my brain at Berkeley if you like, Scott Weider is also an axel demon and will be on hand - we’ll probably be hard to miss. :)

• Thanks 1

STEP into the Axel,

like you were recovering your field, you need slack lines, de-powered or flown to the edge

https://www.facebook.com/rich.comras

Punch one handle's thumb forward, while you simultaneously yank the other handle towards your hip (when you yank and how hard dictates whether you turn in position or change lanes).  In either case, it ain't an Axel unless it flat, parallel with the ground.

Can you crank one out fast and then do the next in slow motion?  Make sure and practice both directions immediately, ... don't become that one punch boxer!

Eventually it won't be "step into" the Axel unless you want it that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, one thing I forgot, as Paul mentioned, is to throw your arms forward and step towards the kite immediately after the pop so it has complete slack during rotation.

P.S. -- If you don't go to Berkeley you will miss out on cutting your learning curve by about one year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Already made plans a year ago after attending our first BKF last year (and got to meet John too then) 😂 seriously already been a year since I first discovered Kitelife yay to everyone!

The further explanation helps, appreciate it as always! I did once or twice manage to get a almost-flat spin, but then I realize now it's gonna be even more tricky than I thought, the one or two times I got close to getting it, the kite moved upwards, not spinning/axeling on the pivot like I think it should.

Phew, so much fun learning this move, but I wouldn't have dared to try earlier before getting more comfortable with the basics. (Still remember struggling with anything-inverted)

• Like 1

A slack line trick,

that means no wind, or out towards the wind window's edge or maybe a violent action on the pilot's part directly downwind in the center and howling gale-force too, 

how much, and where, .... it will become dialing a faucet of water on, do you want trickle or full stream?

Practice in demanding low wind and it will be easier to accomplish initial success.

Almost all of the cool tricks are easier to learn at the lower end of the wind range on your kite

practice and enjoy

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I've managed to cut and sleeve my own line sets now, yay success new skill acquired, all part of the learning journey. 

I have enough for one final set, with the remaining 30ft of line I have left to work with.

I'm having a tough time deciding what length to make now! I couldn't find the thread about "standard line lengths" I came across a long time ago. Thinking of making a really short set under 30', any recommendations?

I have in the bag already 120', 80', 50', 30'.

What's the indoor length usually flown with? 10'? 12'?

Thanks in advance as always :)!

many times I make the indoor lengths on site, to fit the structure's specific size limitations.  Personally? I want lines as long as possible, that might be 6 feet (Air & Space Museum, DC) or 35 (a convention center at Wildwood or SPI's for example) depends on the venue we have available.

You will develop your own style eventually, copying better pilots for some things and adding your own spin to other aspects.  The joy of indoor flying is seeing what is possible and then making your own efforts even better.  

"take the best & dump the rest".

Nope, I can't do everything indoors, but I can have a bunch of fun doing my own thing, MY WAY, ha!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hard to imagine coming up quickly on 2 years already since I first began my kite life. So many awesome people here that helped me in one way or another. Me looking back through this thread lol.

Best community I ever been a part of.

I can't stop flying!

• Like 1