KiteLife Forum

Does Anyone Still Fly Lam's ABS Quadline?

rneiman3

I am an 'old school' kite flyer that's been 'out of the loop' for nearly 19 years & I am now getting my '2nd wind'! I am mostly a dual line flyer, but used to fly mostly Rev's & a few Deca's.

In reading some of the older posts, I saw where Lam Hoac developed an interesting quad line, the ABS, about 3 years ago. I've not seen a whole lot of info or newer posts on this kite. Is it still being produced? Is it still a relevant quad design?

What do you who fly quads think about this kite?

I've been to every kite festival in the northwest for longer than the abs has been out except the one in rockaway beach oregon. and have never seen one or heard of any talk about one. Not to say its not a good kite or anything, maybe its too hard to get or something. The revs being so dominant here probably has a lot to do with it. Would also like to hear some feedback about the abs for curiosity's sake.

There's videos on YouTube. I know people who have flown it and they say it flies well, quite similar to a Rev, but with its own distinct flavor -- whatever that means. From the videos I've seen it appears to be quite precise. Of course most of the videos I've seen are ones in which Lam is flying the kite, and he's no slouch at any quad. I think it may be pricey + overseas shipping.

Last time I looked in the shop to compare prices (2 years ago), they averaged out at around $400.00 each and there were 4 or 5 models. So that meant they were roughly the same price as the then "B" pros made by Bazzer. At the time it was only $100 difference in getting a full set of them vs the Revs. Not sure of any current pricing or availability. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Joe Eyman said:

Tony... waiting for a test report.....

I've only flown the ABS MC for a few hours since it arrived but so far my impressions are positive. The first time I flew it the winds were fairly low (0-3 MPH) so I did have to be pretty active to keep it airborne but the next time out the winds were pretty high (10-20 MPH).  The second time flying it I used heavier rods (DT-10's rather than the DT-8's) and it flew well despite being an SUL designed for 2-12 MPH winds. When the winds started gusting to 20+ MPH I packed it up since I was using only 50# lines and didn't want to damage the kite.

As far as performance goes it handled well and was quite responsive. I'm still a rookie pilot so I was mostly just practicing basic maneuvers and wasn't doing anything too fancy. I'm happy with the purchase and I've been enjoying learning to fly a quad line kite since the ABS MC is my first. However, this also means I can't really compare it to anything else due to my lack of experience.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TonyB said:

As far as performance goes it handled well and was quite responsive. I'm still a rookie pilot so I was mostly just practicing basic maneuvers and wasn't doing anything too fancy. I'm happy with the purchase and I've been enjoying learning to fly a quad line kite since the ABS MC is my first. However, this also means I can't really compare it to anything else due to my lack of experience.

Get out to some festivals in your area, or some of the regular get-togethers. Try other people's kites. We're a nice bunch and we don't bite.

• Like 1