KiteLife Forum

Line question for 13 ft. Flo-tail Kite

MelLovesKites

Hello,

I'm brand new to this forum, so I hope I'm posting my question in the correct spot!

I purchased a 13 ft. Flo-tail Kite - Rainbow Burst but did not order the line. The website where I purchased it from, as well as the manufacturer's website, says it recommends 250 lb. line, but when I received the kite, the tag on it (from the manufacturer) says they recommend 500 lb. line. Do any of you have any suggestions as to what I should purchase? I'm thinking of getting the 500 lb. line but I am worried the kite will drag and won't fly. (Although, we do live off Lake Michigan, where it can be pretty windy on the beach).

Additional questions - Is a kite this big going to lift me off the ground? Can I wind the line on a ring? 

Here are the kite stats from the manufacturer (13' wide with 38' tails):

Size (W X L): 156 x 535 in / 396 x 1359 cm
Wind Range: 6 ~ 20 mph
Fabric: Nylon
Frame Carbon & Fiberglass
Line Recommended: 250 lb. Test Line

https://www.premierkites.com/products/33052

Thanks for your input!

Mel

Welcome to KiteLife.. I'm sure a few dedicated SLK fliers will pipe in shortly but personally I'd follow the manufacturer's recommendations "especially on a tag"  in a heartbeat. Go with the 500# minimum.. 

A simple soft rule of thumb to follow when it comes to pull, if the line recommendation is more than 75% of your weight, the kite will probably drag you. You probably want to research suitable anchors for a kite with a 500# line recommendation..

Someone once asked me which I'd rather have to do: Buy a new kite or buy stronger line? If the line isn't strong enough, it could snap and your kite could have an unfortunate accident. Err on the side of caution. The weight of the line will be a minor inconvenience to having to buy a new kite after yours is torn or broken.

Generally, a lighter line is fine, but flying in the gusty middle of the continent winds can snap your line suddenly. Ask me how I know.

i rise up a rainbow sled some times and i find out something interesting but logic. recommendation lines depend by the puling force and the break point of kite frame so... if they say 250 to be on safe side i will go with 300#. 500# will be to much drag on lower winds and also will make you confident to fly in higher winds then recommendation witch is not good for frame. a loose kite witch break the line is less dangerous then one falling down without frame. on both cases will be some loss but at least the provoked damages are different .IMO

Bottom line if you follow the manufacturer's recommendation from the tab on the kite (500#) you run less likelihood of watching your investment float out to sea or off over the trees.. Don't skimp on the line..It's the only thing keeping the kite "yours"

There are places in kiting to take shortcuts.. Flying line is NOT one of them..

I fly mine on Texas Gulf Coast beaches and it's a breeze!

I generally fly on 300-lb line, and then 500-lb in strong winds, but I have multiple winders of both. I never fly over 300'— I only put 330' on the winders.

The Premier insert (http://instructions.premierkites.com/33050i_13ftFloTail_instructions_REV_9-22-15.pdf) actually says "250–500 lb test line," but that's a range recommended for a range of conditions. Don't worry, even in low winds, a 500-lb line is no weight or drag for this huge kite!

I get my line in bulk from Goodwinds.

https://goodwinds.com/line-winders/braided-dacron.html

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

My largest kite is an 11 ft delta.  I have had it pulling so hard that I have struggled to bring it back down, but I have never had it drag me along the ground or lift me.

A lot will depend on the characteristics of the kite: does it fly high or low?  Will it provide powerful lift, like a Cody, or lots of horizontal drag like a power kite?  Can you adjust the angle of attack?

Also, a lot will depend on the wind conditions.  I fly my 11 ft delta in light breezes on a light line, and in stiffer breezes on a stronger line.  TBH, I have never been aware of the breaking strength of my various lines.  I have about 15 kites in my bag and about 6 or 8 reels of line.

It certainly makes sense to have at least one line that meets the manufacturer's recommendations, but that does not mean that you can't use a lighter line in lighter winds - or even use a stronger line on a very gusty day.

Think what that breaking strain means in terms of your own weight.  You could swing from a 500 lb line if you tied it to a tree - not that you would, but I mean that's how strong it is.  However, the line is around half as strong at any knot.

I look at it this way. If you put it up 300 feet on light line in light wind and suddenly the wind starts blowing hard, it's too late to do anything about it. If your line snaps, say goodbye to your kite. A 100 pounds more strength would probably have saved it.

I'm thinking of getting the 500 lb. line but I am worried the kite will drag and won't fly. 

Nice kite. They take up a lot of sky.

I flew mine on 500# last weekend in variable winds(which in Kansas ranges from non-existent to "you better hold onto something"). The lowest that it would fly was around 5-6 MPH; the gustiest gust was 15-17. It lifted an 8 foot Orca, when the wind picked up.

You'll want to get the 500# line because of the stretch it gives when the kite pulls in a gust. 

Additional questions - Is a kite this big going to lift me off the ground? Can I wind the line on a ring?

I doubt it will pull you off the ground, but I would fly it with an anchor. If you are flying at the beach, you'll want to use a good sand anchor.  I wouldn't wind the kite back onto a hoop winder while it is flying, unless it is in the lightest of breezes the kite would fly in, it would create more tension on the stored line than I would like.  I walk my big kites down. I store my line on extension cord reels; It takes minutes to wind up a couple hundred feet of line. 

• Like 1