KiteLife Forum

Velcro kite straps

windwarrior

I'm curious if anyone might have any suggestions for velcro kite straps. I've seen the ones Prism offers that are 3 for 5 bucks. Those are great but curious of any other options that are out there. 

I like to use them just to keep the spars secure with the kite in the sleeve. Keeps everything nice and organized. 

Ideas? Suggestions? 

27 minutes ago, windwarrior said:

Ideas? Suggestions?

Get a 12 or 15 foot roll of double sided Velcro. It will probably cost you less than $10. Cut to length. 

I also use 1/8 inch stretchy cord to replace rubber bands. I buy it by the foot, like 20-30 feet at a time. Cut to length.

Some lines are made up of many small strands. The Hook part of the Velcro can try to stick to those strands the same way it would adhere to the loop part.. Velcro can also pick many fabrics.

LED lights have almost no heat..They do not get warm to the touch at all..

13 hours ago, windwarrior said:

I'm curious if anyone might have any suggestions for velcro kite straps. I've seen the ones Prism offers that are 3 for 5 bucks. Those are great but curious of any other options that are out there. 

I like to use them just to keep the spars secure with the kite in the sleeve. Keeps everything nice and organized. 

Ideas? Suggestions? 

I agree with Sparkie's methods, which I eventually began using.  I used the velcro straps for a while, but it just became a hassle to keep up with them, etc.  If you want something of that nature, these are pretty cheap and easily found on eBay 

(50 straps for $5 - $6)

s-l1600 (800x800).jpg

• Like 1

Auto parts stores have really nice ones.  Also available in sewing notions at department big box stores.  I go back & forth from obsessive packing/wrapping/banding to just get it in the sleeve without any wraps at all sort of neatly.  There is a name for the first type of behavior - Obsessive Compulsive Kite Disorder or OCKD.  I like to shorten that to OKD.  Another similar thread is currently showing similar symptoms, the tail packing/wrapping/wrinkle worry one.  Quad fliers are routinely rewarded with heightened elation brought on by successful line management made possible by OKD.

OKD behavior is it's own reward, SHBKF

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SHBKF said:

Auto parts stores have really nice ones.  Also available in sewing notions at department big box stores.  

I'm curious about a link for those since I'm in automotive. Never thought they'd have them.

Sewing notions??

I'm not as bad as OCKD but I did get a VERY good laugh at that!! Ok, maybe OKD:P. Seriously though, my only reason for the straps is just so a spar doesn't drop out and get lost like I've heard so many do.

• Like 1

Link? I actually just walk into the store as it is right next door to my in town garage.  Just saw them hanging on one of the displays near the counter.  I suspect they would be in the wiring area to bundle up rats nests of wire that are too long or hanging down under the dash.  I have been accused of being a Luddite, sorry, SHBKF   

P.S. I have lots of straps, been collecting them for years.  Sewing notions are odds & ends used by seamstresses.  I know a few of those fine people.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, windwarrior said:

I'm beginning to think that 6 pre-made straps from either Prism or Into The Wind might be in order. For 10 bucks and done.

Sounds great (and not being critical), but just curious, what part of (50 straps for $5 - $6) wasn't appealing.  They are 1/2" x 8", which is entirely adequate for bundling a kite, if not, they can be tandemed together to make 16" or longer.  They can be easily cut to an "exact" length with scissors, and at that price, they are practically disposable.  Another bonus, you will find 1,000 other things to use them for.  😎

Link>   Well, I tried to add a link, but it didn't appear to work right.  Just go to eBay an search "velcro straps", should you be interested.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Reef Runner said:

Sounds great (and not being critical), but just curious, what part of (50 straps for $5 - $6) wasn't appealing.  They are 1/2" x 8", which is entirely adequate for bundling a kite, if not, they can be tandemed together to make 16" or longer.  They can be easily cut to an "exact" length with scissors, and at that price, they are practically disposable.  Another bonus, you will find 1,000 other things to use them for.  😎

Link>   Well, I tried to add a link, but it didn't appear to work right.  Just go to eBay an search "velcro straps", should you be interested.

I appreciate the suggestion. Really I do. I really don't need THAT many straps is all. 4, maybe 5 at most. All the rest of my kites have them. 

I'm taking them out this weekend to take pictures of them and I'll know the exact number I'll need after that. Then I'll make my decision. 

Insert the upper spreader in a lower leading edge pocket. Leave the lower spreaders in the leading edge fittings and fold them up and use a hair tie to slip over the kite and hold everything in place.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

IMG_20170801_092733.thumb.jpg.e9d26f160cbc4c15dc718cb082c37090.jpg

IMG_20170801_092757.thumb.jpg.607122e0d5e14cd917fc2b35a1569dff.jpg

Ok

9 minutes ago, cerfvoliste said:

Insert the upper spreader in a lower leading edge pocket. Leave the lower spreaders in the leading edge fittings and fold them up and use a hair tie to slip over the kite and hold everything in place.f118bf22c44906a5bd8ed45e7ec37c7c.jpg526ebc8063ffaf8a1242085eac447119.jpg90abc52ae26fad531fa6e4ca4ebf221a.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Not sure what those .jpg's are, but not working - here, anyway ?

• Like 1

On 7/30/2017 at 3:34 AM, windwarrior said:

I like to use them just to keep the spars secure with the kite in the sleeve.

Hmm, I'm to lazy to do both velcro straps/wraps and kite sleeves. Do you (everyone) use the velcro straps with or without sleeves? I recently shifted from mostly using kites-in-sleeves-in-bags  to  kites-kept-wrapped-by-velcro-straps-put-in-bags for my duals (my two QLKs are still in sleeves - just to be somewhat inconstant). Would you expect more wear and tear during transport (walks, public transport and cars) when skipping the sleeves?

I have marked most of my spars that could be possible to mix up (if they would escape from their kite roll). When finished I connect the spars (belonging to a certain kite) with a rubber band (have an abundance of them), roll the sail around the spars until the roll meet the LEs/spine (the rolling part is like in the Kymera instructional video) and then put the velcro strap around (or sometimes put the kite in its sleeve).

1 hour ago, cerfvoliste said:

Leave the lower spreaders in the leading edge fittings and fold them up

I have broken a LE/spreader fitting in early kiting days, so I've always been a bit careful not to do this. Perhaps it was just a bad sample or even cold weather? Anyone ever seen them (of any sort) break due to this?

6 hours ago, Ed Ang said:

I just realized there's a Michaels at the bottom of my street. So tomorrow I'll be going to see the options they have. They have the ones you sent the link for.

• Like 1