KiteLife Forum

Favorite SUL?

podenbeck

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Just to clear up my confusion what does WW mean? Pretty sure I've figured out most of the initials attached to a model, but not these.

Without Wind. Or Without Weed. Depends. Both critical conditions. 

😉

• Like 4

12 hours ago, PaoloM said:

Without Wind. Or Without Weed. Depends. Both critical conditions. 

😉

Sooo if I get a WW does that mean I don't have to mow my flying field anymore? The R-Sky will still fly well when it's a little Hazy?

49 minutes ago, riffclown said:

@Breezin  Depending on where you are, I'm not sure which issue you are trying to address..

I'm not either.Physically or mentally  😆.STILL trying to figure out which sul to get LOL. Want a kite that will do all the tricks from 0 to 10 mph in bumpy winds. Would be a perfect kite but as has been said "perfect kite does not exist".There are some  good deals for new R-Sky kites up north. No waiting 😊.Watching videos and reading I end up wanting the standard. Although 🤔. Will hopefully be reading some posts of Esingers sul build shortly hint, hint. Last few days have been frustrating. Winds will be up a bit then drop below 3 for as much as a 1/2 hour. 75% decided on the Cesium Continental in teal ( mylar still has me spooked). Along with a Kaiju in black with green.Bang for the buck I haven't found better than that combo so far. Could set the Tekken and those 2 up going back and forth as needed.Kaiju would also lead me to different skills. Club does some indoor flies so it would be a good investment. The fun of deciding has left. It's getting agonizing.

I'm not either.Physically or mentally  .STILL trying to figure out which sul to get LOL. Want a kite that will do all the tricks from 0 to 10 mph in bumpy winds. Would be a perfect kite but as has been said "perfect kite does not exist".There are some  good deals for new R-Sky kites up north. No waiting .Watching videos and reading I end up wanting the standard. Although . Will hopefully be reading some posts of Esingers sul build shortly hint, hint. Last few days have been frustrating. Winds will be up a bit then drop below 3 for as much as a 1/2 hour. 75% decided on the Cesium Continental in teal ( mylar still has me spooked). Along with a Kaiju in black with green.Bang for the buck I haven't found better than that combo so far. Could set the Tekken and those 2 up going back and forth as needed.Kaiju would also lead me to different skills. Club does some indoor flies so it would be a good investment. The fun of deciding has left. It's getting agonizing.
SkySport Designs Transformer TL SUL without a doubt.two-transformersTL.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

OKAY!!! I'd read about a kite for inland bumpy winds and you just jogged my brain.Searched GWTW again but couldn't find the thread. Forgot the name of the kite LOL.LOVE my Lam kites. I'm a freaking kite idiot though. Been jacking around this morning.Between these last posts I bought a older never flown Rev 1.5 SLE full vent. Can't even fly a quad yet😖.Dang now I got to sell some kites.Hate that but happy wife happy life.

1 hour ago, Breezin said:

I'm not either.Physically or mentally  😆.STILL trying to figure out which sul to get LOL. Want a kite that will do all the tricks from 0 to 10 mph in bumpy winds. Would be a perfect kite but as has been said "perfect kite does not exist".There are some  good deals for new R-Sky kites up north. No waiting 😊.Watching videos and reading I end up wanting the standard. Although 🤔. Will hopefully be reading some posts of Esingers sul build shortly hint, hint. Last few days have been frustrating. Winds will be up a bit then drop below 3 for as much as a 1/2 hour. 75% decided on the Cesium Continental in teal ( mylar still has me spooked). Along with a Kaiju in black with green.Bang for the buck I haven't found better than that combo so far. Could set the Tekken and those 2 up going back and forth as needed.Kaiju would also lead me to different skills. Club does some indoor flies so it would be a good investment. The fun of deciding has left. It's getting agonizing.

With a little walking in 2mph  the WW Is floating, you will have to be pretty delicate but as far as I can see it does everything I’m able to do, and more, it’s a pretty slow kite, and I can actually see what’s doing. In 5mph it starts to buzz nicely, past that I go to an UL. The. Benson SF or SN. 

• Like 1

Lam has a new sul bridle for the AC.Told him my situation. That's what he said to get. That's what's coming.Colors are his choice.Rather have something inspired by the artist/master than dictated by me.Take me another week or more to make up my mind anyways. Then I'd probably 2nd guess myself. Now the agony of waiting for the kite begins. So much more pleasant 😁. The trick lessons taught today were awesome. Couple things I've struggled at have become clear. Think I might have developed a man crush OMG!!! Going to go practice before I forget.Benson SF standard is at the top of the list for next kite. NO MORE SHOPPING until the SF is acquired. That's the plan anyways 😟.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_20190124_093446565.jpgMain issue I had with other builders is a 6 mph top end. This is a 1 to 10 kite. 2pt frame with a 3pt spine. Tekken is a 3pt with P200 spine. About 1/2 the tail weight of the Tekken.Outhaul adjustment on the Tekken has it flying with a little tricking in 2 but starting at 3 for me. Floats down when losing power instead of falling now. Lot less work. Snow and a little mud so new kite won't be in the air till it dries out. The AC will be for days when the gusts stay pretty low.Ground recoveries are going to have to be more thought out cause of the light frame. Some tricks need to get better before jumping right to them with this kite. Plan on never exceeding 10 but ya never know what's coming on any given day. Tekken has handled 13 to 14 bumps with no issues other than my mouth going a little dry. The Mind Trick and Tekken handle gusts better then my other kites by quite a margin.Expecting the AC to be no different.Between the 3 Lam kites wind ranges and the way they fly I don't feel the immediate need for a Lam standard.The standards I have are pretty exceptional in their own right YMMV.Going to go fly Mudder now. Damn happy I got a Sky Dog Black Dog for days like this. Little booger is a blast.

• Like 3

OOPS AC spine is a Dynamic D15. Got to fly it for the 1st time today.About one and a half hours in 0 to 3.Another hour in 0 to 8 max.It can  fly in 1 on 75' x 50# but for now I need another 1/2 to really keep it going.Struggled staying under the Pro Dancer this kite replaces under 3. Not a problem at all with the AC. Lam said to get 30# x 80' Super Pro 8 for the low end.Know enough now to understand 5' can make a big difference.Went up on 100' x 90# last hour and as usual preferred the 100'. Next time out I'll do 120' and 125'. A good flier could trick the dickens out of this kite in 1 to 2.As long as I don't hit the ground I think the kite could easily handle a 11 to 12 gust while heading to the side.  Got to be up at 4 am. Keep thinking about the days flying instead of sleeping.Stupid kite!!!

• Like 2

Kite is everything I had hoped on 120' x 50#. At the bottom of it's range IF it it gets a little floaty 1 or 2 easy steps and I'm right back under it.Winds were 0 to 10 most of the day. Stay at the high end for 2 or 3 minutes then drop.Mostly between 2 and 6 and smooth. Kite has a light smooth pull and the 50# worked a lot better than I expected. AC like the Tekken and Mind Trick dumps the wind in a split second which helps.Like the Tekken the kite instilled confidence quick.Think winds were about 3 or 4 when I set up for a slap and tickle. Tricks still hard for me and most times I fail. To late spinning out of the tipstand but man was I stoked trying that so early in learning the kite.So much for taking it easy.Had to switch to my trusty Nighthawk and go bonzi for a bit. Fly it a lot and today right wingtip tensioner gave up.Really should do less shark stuff but dang they're so much fun. Right on the edge of disaster every single time. Mind Tricks got one getting close to done too. When trying the comete, cascade and cynique I've always started vertical. Lam said that's to advanced at this stage and I should be learning from a 45 degree angle.Sucks cause I'm now having to change body mechanics and relearn inputs. Plus is I can see this kite really, really well. Being able to slow trick in 2 mph on long lines having enough room to recover or soft crash is going to speed up my learning big time. I guess some might say that I'm now one of those Lam kool aid drinkers. Nope don't like kool aid at all. Besides this kite is a strawberry daiquiri made with Bacardi 151. CAREFUL unlike kool aid this kite will kick your butt 🍹!!

• Like 4

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:02 PM, Breezin said:

Struggled staying under the Pro Dancer this kite replaces under 3. Not a problem at all with the AC. 

This is the just the standard AC with a different bridle?

And it flys easier at lower winds than the pro dancer and is more trickable? 

Heard that the AC is fairly precise as well,  how does it compare to the pro dancer for precision?

Btw, Good job describing your experiences flying these kites, it's an informative read.

Nope very different frame than the AC standard. Bridle tweaks are mods from the original AC SUL bridle. Wing tips have internal weights so I got a spare along with the kite. From 3 down PD would float away on me cause I'm not very agile. It's not a trick kite but I could turtle, fade, axle, 1/2 axle and rotate but not very well or often.3 down and away the kite would go stuck in the turtle or fade and me not fast enough to catch up. Friday spent 5 hours on the AC(trick monster).  Did to much and didn't get much going yesterday.Winds were bumpy and swirly giving me the excuse to whine and snivel even more.Been checking the wind real often while learning it. Caught a Slot in 1 1/2 to 2 first day on it. SHOCKED.Had to tell Lam all about it LOL. Friday in 2 to 3 would do a few 1/2 axles getting my timing and then Taz or Slot pretty well for me . On one I gave a little pull at the end instead of exiting.Rotated around again with a close to perfect exit.Never attempted that before. Don't know what you'd call that trick but it made me whoop and holler.That's probably why I overdid it . From that moment on got REALLY excited and didn't want to stop flying.Hydra front flips the easiest for me. AC is a pretty close 2nd. Read where a lot of SUL kites don't roll up that well. Not a issue on the AC or Tekken.3 and lower roll ups can get a little floaty on the AC but a small step or 2 brings the tension right back to the kite.Tekken just flips even when popping off the ground in 0.There's  hardly any yaw when losing power like the Zephyr, Tekken and PD. I don't think any of those kites have excessive yaw at all but the stability of the AC makes it stand out a bit. With the little time I spent on a Ocius and Aura I feel the AC is a lot more stable than them .The Ocius with 00 framing and heavier inputs could make one think it's to fast and twitchy. Heavier inputs like I flew the Zephyr with could make the AC feel twitchy too. Just not as dramatic as a lighter framed kite.If for sale would have bought either of those Skyburners on the spot. Both top out around 5/6 mph so it's for the best. Probably bought 3 00 tubes by now anyways LOL. PD gets the edge on precision but not by much. Don't know much yet but I do know you can't call a Premier Addiction a precision kite at all.At 3 mph both the Tekken and AC are easy to fly. No footwork or pumping needed to keep either in the air. Below 3 my skills need some improving to really compare. The AC seems to hold the air a little better.Can fly both at the bottom of their range w/o a lot of work.When winds are bumpy at the bottom I lose the Tekken a little quicker and have a harder time recatching a puff on the way down.Heavier, a bit shallower sail and lack of skills. Mind Tricks vented so in SUL winds one needs to run about 5 mph. Takes a very talented person to run backwards at that speed for a 1/2 hour tricking a kite . AC pull is light enough to fly 50# lines in 10mph with no problem. Lot of twists on a 50# dyneema set and the Tekken broke  it in 8 or so. Had it in 6/7 mph gusts yesterday on 50# LPG with no issues but in  higher gusts I'll be on 90# or heading for the side dumping wind in a hurry. Tekken is still a light pulling kite. In 10mph about 1/2 the pull of a Widow ng maybe a little less. One fella I get to fly with has the SKD 7 SUL. Watched it fly and that is one impressive kite. Was 3rd on my list because of all the mylar and tops out in 6 mph. Gonna be fun watching him compare the 7 and AC. Probably not skilled enough to be trusted with his 7 but he definitely has the skills to fly mine. Another has a AC SUL but I think it's before the bridle mods. That's going to be just as interesting. AC has 3 adjustments for the nose. Only flown on the bottom knot due to the 0 winds. Think they're more for different tricking than the "need to pass wind" :sly:. Hey FOCUS, kites are not flatulent. Still need a 0 wind kite.99% sure it's going to be a VII Gravity Performance. If anyone knows of another indoor kite that flies on 10' lines and outside up to  60' in 10 mph please let me know.The only other kite in the running is the Level One Amazing.Problem is VII comes in 2 sizes and then there's that what color thing to stress over.That kite will take some different skills to roll up and probably not a precision kite outside. Could be wrong but I don't see how the VII could handle the gusts like my other 3 Lams. I may seem a little paranoid about the gusty winds here but it is a real issue.Gust hit the Pro Dancer and put a whisker thru the sail one day. Took a long time to get confidence back in the kite. Never really did.When I say bumpy watch JBs Kaiju video in the parking lot. Kaiju gets hit pretty hard and that is some serious skills keeping the kite intact.From what I've gathered SUL winds are 0/1 to 6 mph. From 3 down opinions get very subjective. I can bomb around in 20 and pull off a lot of tricks now. Most of that is setting up and hoping the wind helps instead of blowing everything apart. 3 down really is the hardest to learn cause it's 90% skill and the wind is only keeping the kite up.Not helping much in pushing the kite thru rotations and spins.Blathered on a bit here about stuff above my paygrade. Go to GWTW and look up what makes a $500.00 kite. Also search Fearless Light vented. Lam posts as Fearless Object.Before I could axle I wanted a Widow Maker Pro, any Blue Moon kite and a Sky Sport Design.Are they more fun than a Addiction?I don't think so. Are they worth the money? For most probably not. For me I cannot afford to NOT have kites like Skyburner, Blue Moon or Sky Sport Design. Few days ago I got to laughing at myself a bit. It was about a year ago I was walking to the shed putting away my kites. For the 1st time I really got what people meant when they describe being connected to the kite. I had become a kite flier. Year later I still do the walk of contemplation just about as much. Main difference is I can soft crash and rarely take a hard hit. Although a week ago broke Mudders spreader.I LOVE the tricking. Better at doing some precision moves building routines but sometimes I'm still only in the air for 30 seconds. Never laughed at myself so much in my life as learning this stuff.When I get to the festivals this year I want folks to say hey he's pretty good and not be to bored. 3 years from now I want folks to say WOW he's REAL good and be entertained.One needs the proper equipment to excel at anything. You can have a ton of fun in a Nissan 370Z(Nighthawk) but to excel get the 911 Porsche(Widow Maker Pro).Goal is the same as when I started. I want to fly like those guys.Wow after all that I may have not answered a thing .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow Breezin you’ve came along ways in a year in your ability and equipment. Love reading your posts.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app
Ditto! You must be a natural Breezin, still struggling to do some of the tricks you've advanced to. I'm going to have to ask Lam about a new bridle for my AC SUL and whether or not there are weights in my wing tips. I don't remember him telling me there were any when I purchased it. The VIP II is a very nice indoor kite. It'll take some getting used to for outdoor flights and tricks. It's small and uses light inputs.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:10 AM, Breezin said:

Gonna be fun watching him compare the 7 and AC.

The AC makes it stand out a bit. With the little time I spent on a Ocius and Aura I feel the AC is a lot more stable than them.

That would be interesting. The 7 is a really cool looking kite, and the build quality sounds really good also.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:02 PM, Breezin said:

Struggled staying under the Pro Dancer this kite replaces under 3. Not a problem at all with the AC

Sounds like the AC is more stable, and has more forward momentum than the PD under 3 without as much running. And it can handle some variable winds also.

• Like 1