KiteLife Forum

Favorite SUL?

podenbeck

I really like my UL as well. It's not as refined as the AC SUL, however it's a fantastic value. I like to practice yo-yo tricks with it. It's turtle is so deep it will easily flip into a yo-yo with slack lines. Just throw your hands out and wait for the kite to flip around the lines and take up the slack. No real setup moves needed like most kites

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using KiteLife mobile app

21 hours ago, esinger said:

difficult to get out of without a rotation maneuver of some type

When I got the Mind Trick really struggled with the more precise timing and locking in the turtle.Hardest kite for me to learn by far. Frustrated and wondering why I had spent so much money on a freaking kite I called Lam. He said to start, move into a Lazy Susan  to exit. From the Lazy  he explained how to twitch a wing tip and give a little flick of the wrist. He had to repeat that SEVERAL times. Got the rotational moves quick but took a LONG time for the flick.Now from the locked in turtle on my Lam kites I don't even really think about it, just happens. Little twitch and a little flick on inside wing and they're unlocked.Few weeks after getting comfortable on it got the Tekken SUL. Doesn't lock in as hard and connected to that kite faster than any other kite. AC I don't have enough time on but  when locked in the turtle a 1/2 step forward and a little pop of the lines works too.Still somewhat intimidated by the more fragile frame and haven't totally bonded to the kite yet. Flew it yesterday next to the Blue Moon Mongoose standard in 5 to 10 just doing turtle stuff for abit. Little deeper and at times needs the small extra move. Not much of a difference in their turtles that I could tell. Inputs are quite different between the kites and it really was a apples to oranges kinda thing.Winds went to 15 and got out the Mind Trick. Had the nose tilted back and it locks into the turtle hard in that position. Very hard to get roll ups stalled at the top of the window. More successful if nose is tilted in. Kite feels like it has more momentum as it's going backwards and passes thru that locked in position. When kites moving roll ups are a lot easier to catch. Don't have that issue with the AC or Tekken.If I would have gotten a AC before the Mind Trick I think the AC's deeper turtle would have still been a challenge. Would have adjusted to the difference in Lam kites a lot quicker though because I would have been flying in a LOT lower winds.Love my Mind Trick now and it would be the last kite in my quiver I'd let go. Tekken a close second but in a few more weeks the AC will probably take that position. When I sit back and try to justify the cost of a Lam (any kite over $200.00) to someone I don't think I can.Ya just gotta spend some hours on one and get the feel of the kites.Ya might not like it. For me though I've justified.NONE of my kites have exceeded the pure fun factor of the $80.00 Premier Addiction though.Frost is pretty much gone and winds are AC SUL speed. Going out to fly hoping for another epiphany  😋.They're rare LOL.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Breezin said:

Frustrated and wondering why I had spent so much money on a freaking kite I called Lam. He said to start, move into a Lazy Susan  to exit. From the Lazy  he explained how to twitch a wing tip and give a little flick of the wrist. He had to repeat that SEVERAL times. Got the rotational moves quick but took a LONG time for the flick.Now from the locked in turtle on my Lam kites I don't even really think about it, just happens. Little twitch and a little flick on inside wing and they're unlocked.

Exactly what I was trying to express, every kite is different, requiring different inputs, timing and subtleties... Glad you were able to find your unlock! 👍🏻

• Like 1

13 hours ago, John Barresi said:

I want to be exquisitely clear here - I’ve seen a fair number of folks who fly that kite (and others like it) without any “random turtle” problems... I’m speaking more to a conflict with my personal style and taste, don’t let it discourage you from including them in the running - it’s all a matter of what you connect with. ✌️

To be clear I wasn't saying that you said that. And I didn't intend to imply that either.

I am aware that the AC was built to perform well from the turtle, so that statement was from a beginner perspective.

I think it is a reasonable concern for a beginner considering a serious trick kite like the AC for general non trick directional flying in SUL wind whether it is suited for that type of flying or not. I will have to ask Lam if it is suitable for my application or not.

Guess I won't know if I connect with a kite until I try it.

• Like 1

Getting stuck in a Turtle is problematic when flying in low wind. Lam's kites are Turtle-stuck prone, at least the older ones like the Fearless. You have to learn new moves to get out, and even so, it's sometimes difficult. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, esinger said:

BTW John, I took my Focus Kite Designs - Hydra out the other day. Man that kite backspins so easy and beautifully. No wonder you enjoyed flying it last year when we were together.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using KiteLife mobile app

Yesterday like today will be SUL AM vented PM. When winds picked up grabbed the ITW Hydra. Been awhile since I spent a long time on it. LOVE that kite. Even when I had the Mind Trick, Tekken and Widow Maker Pro it was my most flown kite for a good 5 months.Due to flying style,skills, design and terrain I've really battered the poor thing.Lately I've been kinda saving it as a calm me down 15, 20 minutes in the air kite.For me the kite instills a confidence beyond my skills and suffers for it LOL. I've at times researched a lot on what to replace it with that would be more durable for me.I've concluded the Benson Superfly every time. Probably because I want a Benson more than any logical reason.Had to redo a minor repair yesterday and looked over the kites wear points.Well doggone, pattern of wear points is all laid out for reinforcement.So what will replace my ITW Hydra. Another one in green :kid_happy:. Only kite that's made me laugh and giggle more is the Addiction. Hydra is one flippy tricky kite. Yesterday's 15 mph give or take winds were really bumpy. With Nitro framing the Mongoose and Widow unless really concentrating in winds like that can squirt away in undesirable directions QUICK.Hydra's lighter pulling in 15 mph too.The more flexible Dynamic framing smooths out some of the bumps.Year and 5 months of looking for deals on kites. IMHO the Hydra and Kymera at Into the Wind is still the best bang for the buck out there. FINALLY got all the parts together for the Addictions replacement. They should be here tomorrow. Flexifoil Psycho(Killer) will be in the air very soon.CORRECTLY this time.

6 minutes ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Got 2 positions so far: Fade = on back, nose to pilot. Turtle = on back, nose away. Others?

Belly down nose away is the pancake.Kite heading down, throw slack and viola pancake.Very hard to hold for me unless close to the ground. Hold it best on the Mongoose during pancake launches. I think pancake landings and relaunch are a lot of fun.Pancake launch is my favorite way to get in the air.I've found that holding the kite nose down for to long though makes the kite stop flying in a somewhat dramatic fashion 🤕

• Like 1

3 positions now:

Fade = on back, nose to flier. Turtle = on back, nose away from flier. Pancake = belly down, nose away from flier.

One more.......?

PS: I've been flying quads for a bit now and trying to relearn some dualie stuff. Trying to remember what everything is called ........!

I've broken enough kites attempting the Dead Launch that I just never try anymore. Old curved LE kites like the Prism Illusion can do a Dead Launch easier than others...

Haven’t tried with my Y2K illusion I tend to take it easy on that kite and my UL or SUL. Cheaper kites are for beating up.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/8/2019 at 8:48 PM, RobB said:

Belly down, nose towards you = The Walk Of Shame ! 

Naaah, I’d say it is more parking the kite. If it happened to be so that it was unintentional only you would know.

On 3/8/2019 at 9:03 PM, RobB said:

Old curved LE kites like the Prism Illusion can do a Dead Launch easier than others... 

Funny you said so, as far as I can remember, it is the only kite that I managed to dead launch with.

2nd to the last time out finally connected to my AC SUL. Worked on 75' lines for awhile then went up on 120'. Whoop there it was. Yesterday did pretty good in 0 to3 on 75'. Fixing to get the 120', trying a Comete as the last move and danged if that familiar LS crack from the SAME line wrap on EVERY kite didn't happen AGAIN. SUCKS,SUCKS,SUCKS because Kites and Fun Things is out of 2pt for the short term. Got a spare 3pt for the other SUL but forgot the spare 2pt on my last order. Man not making a proper list can sure put a damper on things.

• 1 month later...

It is time for me to buy a true SUL kite that can handle some gusts. My Widow NG was pissing me off today in sul-gust-sul-gust wind.

I was considering the PDSUL. I am good with the old school directional flying stuff. But I get the impression that it requires a lot of work / running to keep flying under 3 mph. Also, if it can't handle the gusts or much wind range that probably wont work for me. Either way I want to try one first before I buy one.

I am thinking about the Lam's new I-T-M SUL kite. You can see the videos of him flying it on youtube. He says it has a good wind range, will fly as good down as low as the other SULs out there, also that it doesn't have as much turtle tendencies as the AC. I would like to fly one first also, because I don't know enough about kites to know what type of kite it is by looking.

I was thinking maybe a Blue Moon UL or SUL. Heard the Exile UL was really good. Maybe a Mamba UL.

I don't really know what else I should be considering.

Heard the Seven, shadow, benson were probably too tricky for my style of flying, and skill level. I don't know much about the Nirvana but I think it is in this same category.

Mamba, Nirvana and a few of the L'Atelier kites are used in team flying as well as tricking. Polyvalent is a word used a lot to describe kites like that in Europe. Kites oriented towards precision seem to be what you're after. French builders seem to have the most variety of team/trick kites .My BMK Mongoose is the only trick kite I have that I really enjoy flying patterns. Mamba from what I've read would be similar. L'Atelier kites has some serious pedigree(Mayet e.g.). Issue you might have other than cost is some of their kites are designed for long lines. Up to 157'. For the cost Level One Badass UL is worth a look.If I didn't have a Mongoose I'd have a Mamba for sure. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Breezin said:

My BMK Mongoose is the only trick kite I have that I really enjoy flying patterns.

I have read that about them as well. It is certainly a kite that I am keeping my eye open for if one comes up for sale. I don't know if the Mamba is similar in that aspect or not.

7 hours ago, Breezin said:

Level One Badass UL is worth a look.

I was looking at them. I read a review about them but can't seem to find it now.