KiteLife Forum

Favorite SUL?

podenbeck

On 7/27/2019 at 3:00 AM, cjay said:

It is time for me to buy a true SUL kite that can handle some gusts. My Widow NG was pissing me off today in sul-gust-sul-gust wind.

I was considering the PDSUL. I am good with the old school directional flying stuff. But I get the impression that it requires a lot of work / running to keep flying under 3 mph. Also, if it can't handle the gusts or much wind range that probably wont work for me. Either way I want to try one first before I buy one.

I am thinking about the Lam's new I-T-M SUL kite. You can see the videos of him flying it on youtube. He says it has a good wind range, will fly as good down as low as the other SULs out there, also that it doesn't have as much turtle tendencies as the AC. I would like to fly one first also, because I don't know enough about kites to know what type of kite it is by looking.

I was thinking maybe a Blue Moon UL or SUL. Heard the Exile UL was really good. Maybe a Mamba UL.

I don't really know what else I should be considering.

Heard the Seven, shadow, benson were probably too tricky for my style of flying, and skill level. I don't know much about the Nirvana but I think it is in this same category.

Spoke to Lam maybe last week about an ATM SUL or something that would fit my needs. Something that will fly in next to nothing but is fully trickable in 3+. We decided an ITM or a new Dream Machine SUL was the best fit for this. Going to make this my next purchase once I'm allowed to buy kites again.

The Shadow is really tricky. The stock bridle is a turbo, but its really prone to over steer. I fly a ITW Hydra as my main learning STD kite and it is a lot easier to track than the shadow. The great thing about the Shadow is that you can fly it walking backwards and using lightwind techniques to keep it up. Once it starts flying on it's own, it is trickable. Great kite. I want something that isn't so twitchy though. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Not truly a Sul but have had lots of fun with the Baby Tana. Been rebuilt so many times. Keep it assembled because I fly it so often and so small. Actually my first stunt kite. Caught the bug.  I have 2 8 foot home made duals that have limitless bridle adjustments and can add or delete standoffs. Both have 6 standoffs. Even made an adjustable bottom spreader for different aspect ratios. Fun to try all sorts of combinations. One mirage 2 kind of I added 3 inch flaps to the trailing edge for an obnoxiously loud kite.