KiteLife Forum

Welcome ChopperChuck

Hello @ChopperChuck,

Welcome to KiteLife®!

Although this is an automated message, it is written with heart - I love kites deeply, and I believe the KiteLife community represents this passion with a very friendly and helpful environment for everyone. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Need to tweak settings?

Edit your profile here - View Member
Edit your settings - http://kitelife.com/forum/settings/

Other than that, here are a few handy links that you might have a use for...

Member Chat
Member Map
KL Shop

And while it's never an obligation, we always love hearing about our new members if you'd like to share some of your kite stories, videos, and/or background... Tell us a little about YOUR kite life! ;)

Hello John, and Other Fellow Kite Flyers,

My name is Chuck and I am a kite flyer in South East Michigan (Troy to be exact). I started kite flying about 20 years ago and flew mainly dual line kites, as well as a 4 line soft kite called a Quadrafoil. The Quadrafoil is so easy to pack on a trip. No spars, just a sail, lines, and handles.

I have only flown about once or twice a year for the past 10 years and for some unknown reason have been bitten by the bug again. I am in the process of trying to find a Revolution that I can get back into the hobby with..

In looking at the videos I would call the style of flying that I like slow precision. I am mesmerized with the control you can get with a quad line kite, like the revolution. The winds in Michigan average in the 5-7 Mph range with days of 10-15 Mph in the spring, on most days it would be considered variable.

If there are any other flyers in Southeast MI I would be glad to have someone to fly with. Really don’t know of any local people flying Quads. For now I am going to be doing plenty of reading, watching John's videos, and taking it slow.

Chuck

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

Guess it has been about a month and a half now since I was bitten by the bug. Looking back to my original thoughts about kites and kite flying...its night and day. I won't bore you with my kite story, but I posted it under my Introduction if you are so inclined. Loads of information here and there is no shortage of experts that are willing to pass along their knowledge, experiences and advice. I have asked a lot and learned a lot in the short time that I have been a member here at KiteLife. But for me, that is part of the fun with a hobby...the questions, the answers, the difference in opinions, the research, I love it all.

Just an FYI there is another forum that is pretty good as well...GWTW. Endless amounts of information when you pull the two together. And since you are taking it slow, don't forget to check out the Swap Meet in both of these forums. There are some quality, gently used kites that can be had if you keep a look out...this includes Quads. But they go fast depending.

Well again...Welcome

• Like 1

Hi, ChopperChuck, and welcome to the forum. I look forward to flying with you someday. 

There's a couple or three guys flying quads in your area. Click on the map tab at the top to see who. You can try sending PMs and ask where and when they will be flying, or just start a topic and ask on the forum.

I would recommend a Revolution 1.5 B-Series standard sail if you can find one (out-of-production) or a 1.5 SLE. That's what most folks in the Midwest start with considering the winds we get. Good luck on your quest.

Smile, have fun and don't forget to breathe.

• Like 1

Hi Makatakam,

Thanks for pointing out the map. Had not made it to that part of the site yet. Would be nice to tie up and fly with others in my area. Was very happy to see your recommendation on the Series-B, and that you felt that it would be a good match for the winds in the Midwest.

I had a lead on a Series-B not pan out and was bummed. Was going to go with a Reflex, or a New York Minute, but kept on searching for that elusive Series-B. So many people that fly revolutions say that they like their Series-B the most.  Finally found a Kite Store that had a full sail Black, Red, White in stock. Should be here next week. 

Will be sending it into John to get the leading edge/screen strengthening this winter. Since they are no longer in production I would like to do everything I can to preserve it.

Chuck

• Like 1

While you're waiting for delivery, watch the beginner tutorial videos, assuming you haven't flown quads before, over and over until you are sick of watching them and then watch them 3 more times. Everything John Barresi says in them is Gospel. Do as he does and you will have no problems. If you have flown quads before, then at least watch them once each as a refresher course. Watch the line management video and pay close attention to that one. Line twists and tangles are where most people have problems when starting. If you have any questions, ask. That's what we're here for. Welcome to the dark side.

• Like 2