KiteLife Forum

Fluke's journey

Fluke

There are things a dlk can do that a qlk can't. There are things a qlk can do that a dlk can't. It is good to be good at both. JB is one example. Once you discover the absolute precision of a qlk, it draws you mercilessly. Good luck not getting hooked.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 12:36 PM, Fluke said:

i don't plan on not getting hooked 😁 . since we're at it: what's the difference between the rev rx and the 1.5 classic. both have reflex, right?

I don't know offhand. I only have 1.5's, B-Pros, etc. I have flown an RX once, in very low wind, and didn't connect with it. Not saying I don't like it, just that I haven't spent enough time with it to fully appreciate it. There's a lot of good discussion on this topic here. Use the search option to find what others have posted. There's a bunch of politics involved, but if you disregard that you can find some answers.

36 minutes ago, Fluke said:

i don't plan on not getting hooked 😁 . since we're at it: what's the difference between the rev rx and the 1.5 classic. both have reflex, right?

The "Classic" is based on JB's "B" pattern, in both shape and panel layout. The Reflex is a whole new animal with different spars, panel layout, etc. Also not as many models in that line, I believe. The "reflex" spring system can be used on either, I believe, but comes std with the Reflex. Think it is an option with the "Classic". Just getting around to caps that will allow the use of both the 5/16" and/or 1/4" spars with slight bunji adjustments.

Open to any correction ...

Had a low wind session with hypno

wind was very low at first. set bridles to low wind and remove the top spreader. managed to float a bit. then wind picked up a bit but was still around 2-3 beaufort (i'm guessing around 7-8kmh. gust like around 12-13kmh), managed to stay aloft. 

what i did learn is to better play with the wind window and i succeeded in a few axels (very slowly. i was like "did you see that? that was on purpose") and managed to get into a fade from a turtle but more work is needed to hold it. i'm on holidays a whole month so i might  hit beaches and football grounds a bit during the week.

i wonder if foxy would have been better in those winds...

Been playing in 0 to 6 mph last 2 days with my nighthawk. Tried 50 lb x 50 ft line set. Not much success . Kept tipping on it's nose trying to launch. Adjusted nose to farthest point and made it worse. Kite has p 200 lower spreader  and P 300 upper. Nose isn't as reinforced as my widow and am real leery  of removing it. Did it on the widow and not good enough see a difference but it has p 300 in both spots. Fly in a pasture and the weeds will really tear up those fifties if I keep trying them. I'm more relaxed  learning in these low winds. It's harder but the crashes have been a lot easier. There's no one around so the walk of shame is not so shameful. Don't think I'll ever try the widow below 5 or 6 mph again. Wasn't made for that anyway. The nighthawk has a lot more  flex so I'll continue low winds with it. Don't have the proper stuff yet for low wind but I'd rather be frustrated walking to the kite than not flying. 35 ft x 65 lb line set ?

• 1 month later...