KiteLife Forum

Silver Fox 2.3 UL Wing Tip Tension Help??

9 hours ago, makatakam said:

Wow! No kidding? I would seriously check out the method they used to put the leech line inside the velcro and make that modification as soon as possible. Leech lines are a royal pain to re-do when they wear out or break. First one I've heard of designed that way.

Yes, certainly seems like an overlooked design flaw. I can't see any way that I would be able to thread the leech line inside the velcro strap without affecting something else, but I'm not to crafty to begin with. I'll keep thinking about it.

FWIW, mine is like kitedad's. It's similar what you show in your picture, but the hole is about 1 1/4" up from the bottom of the spine. Mine is also a 2.5 though. 

Perhaps you can make another hole about an inch higher than the existing hole. You can do this with a soldering iron or wood burning tool as long as you have a tip that you don't mind contaminating with plasticky stuff (that's what you're going to get when the material melts). That will still leave quite a bit of leech line outside the velcro though. However, I never really thought of it as a problem, because if you're looking at the back of the kite, the back of the spine is recessed between the rest of the kite. Doesn't seem like it would be easy to get abrasion there. Having the leech line come out at the bottom of the spine might be more concerning. 

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, dragonfish said:

FWIW, mine is like kitedad's. It's similar what you show in your picture, but the hole is about 1 1/4" up from the bottom of the spine. Mine is also a 2.5 though. 

Perhaps you can make another hole about an inch higher than the existing hole. You can do this with a soldering iron or wood burning tool as long as you have a tip that you don't mind contaminating with plasticky stuff (that's what you're going to get when the material melts). That will still leave quite a bit of leech line outside the velcro though. However, I never really thought of it as a problem, because if you're looking at the back of the kite, the back of the spine is recessed between the rest of the kite. Doesn't seem like it would be easy to get abrasion there. Having the leech line come out at the bottom of the spine might be more concerning. 

Interesting that we all have a similar "issue", but the hole on the Standards are a bit higher than mine. Not sure if this is a huge oversight that Flying Wings missed, or if we are looking to deeply on this "potential issue". I agree with what you are saying about the leech line being somewhat tucked into the recess of the wings on the kite. I think this gives a natural protection to the leech line. I'm not sure I am comfortable making a second hole in the velcro strap, nor do I have the tool for doing this, but good suggestion. If I got my hands on a soldering iron, I would make the hole where the velcro meets the V of the sail, which would most likely give the leech line as much protection as possible. But this would mean unknotting the leech line, making the hole, and re-knotting...not sure I want to get into that right yet. 

My leech line is larksheaded onto the bungee if I remember correctly. It definitely is on one of my kites, because I've adjusted it, but don't know for sure if it's this one. Really easy to adjust when the standoffs are not in place because there is not any tension on the leech line, thus you have plenty of slack to loosen the larkshead and move it on the bungee. I guess you would still have to take it off if you were to make and use a new hole, but it should be straightforward to larkshead it back on the bungee. It doesn't even need to butt up against the knot at the end of the bungee since the bungee is kind of "soft", so the larkshead just bites into it wherever you want it. 

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, dragonfish said:

My leech line is larksheaded onto the bungee if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the suggestion. Ill check to see if the leech line is attached to the bungee using a larkshead knot, if it is, that makes it a lot easier. Then the only decision will be whether or not I want to put a second hole in the kite.

A less elegant option than adding another hole but probably just as effective might be to use some tape to cover the leach line. I use a special cloth tape used in sound stages to tape all sorts of stuff down called gaffers tape. It's similar to the common cloth tape found in hardware stores. The difference is you can remove the tape even years later and it won't leave any residue. You have to order it as it is a specialty item not found in most hardware stores as far as I could find. It's a little pricey but a 1 in x 60 yds is about 13$ on amazon. I use it on my boys kite in select spots like the wing tips, nose, it comes in very handy. a roll that size is enough for a lifetime of kite use. Maybe covering the leech line with something before you put the tape over it would be a good idea. other tapes could probably be used but the results will vary off course.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Brilliantone
      I'm new here. But...I'm not a newbie. I'm an expert kite pilot, even though I don't fly as much as I used to. I hope that will change with your help.
      Some history for context:
      I owned a kite store in Cocoa Beach Florida 20 years ago. I only sold Prism, and I sold a truck-load of them. I still own many Prism kites. Probably a dozen or more. From a Radian to a Vapor to special edition I2K Illusion in Red/White/Blue and everything in between. I was talking with Revolution Kites often when I opened the shop back then. I even have a special edition Y2K red/white/blue Rev.  I spoke often with Mark Reed from Prism, and even got to fly new kites he was introducing. I flew 10-12 hours a day. My shop was 27 steps from the sand. I was on the beach all day. I gave flying lessons daily (learning from Bill Ochee from the Kite Loft in Ocean City Maryland) and I made unlimited free repairs for any kite you bought from me. Dodd Gross would come and practice; spending the weekend in my house. I still have a signed prototype from him. 
      On September 11, 2001, the Terrorist attacks ended everything. I was 1 mile from the Launch pads at Cape Canaveral. I was 1 mile from Patrick Air force base. I couldn't get to my store. There were armed guards in sand-bag bunkers protecting the Space Coast. Eventually, I had no choice but to close the store. 
      I went in another direction and although I keep flying, I have been out of touch in the kite world. I'm a lawyer now; living in Marco Island Florida. I see Kite surfing took over the world. I remember seeing the first re-launch-able kites. They were cool. Before that, the guys starting this sport had a backpack harness to bundle their wet kite in. There was no relaunching back then. I fixed many parafoils that got torn in the waves and rough surf. I had to have a lot of bridle line on hand back then. 
      I stayed on the beach doing ground maneuvers and making my Elixir and I2k Illusion do ballet moves in the air. With the detachable Ailerons, the I2K was unstoppable in high wind when you wanted the finesse. And as far as Freestyle tricking, nothing could touch the Elixir.  
      That was 20 years ago. I can still fly with anyone, and there are only a small group that I would consider better flyers than I am. I don't say that to pat my back. I'm getting older and don't care about those things anymore, but I say it so you can understand that I can still compete, and have no doubt I can still win; indoors or out.
      Speaking of Indoors...I bought so many spars and fittings from Avia Sport, that they offered to sell me their custom-made Avia Sport indoor kite that won internationals. It till has the hand-written instruction on how to use the amazing Herb Weldon active bridle. I am proud to own it.  I wore out my Vapor and even starting sewing new panels on it top replace the shredded sail panels. Even after Prism fixed it twice. What a great kite...
      That was 20 years ago. Avia Sport doesn't exist anymore, and Prism Kites looks like they refocused on kite-boarding rather than 2-lines. 

With all that history, (and there is so much more), I find myself needing help.
      I haven't bought a kite in those 20 years. I still fly all my prisms. 
      I want to buy new kites. My Revolutions are still in fine shape, even 20 years later. My Prisms are still in fair shape. I've beat them up and fixed them a million times, and they are still awesome to fly.
      But I want to buy new kites and fly regularly again. I want to lay out all the kites I have, and show people how to fly; encouraging them to pick up any kite they want to fly. I want to share the tips and tricks and stunts I learned from Doss Gross, Mark Reed, or other great flyers I met across the world. I want to show people how to execute the tricks they struggle with.

This brings be back to the beginning. I'm new here. But I am not a newbie. I am an expert kite pilot and I need help.
      Money isn't my issue. I have the money, but the most expensive doesn't mean the best or most responsive or even worth the value in the price. I want the most responsive expert-level freestyle kites being made today. I want the kite that the best flyers in the world will take to competition. 
      I see many posts on here about intermediate flyers wishing to crawl into the advanced kites. I even some advanced flyers talking about having mastered their intermediate kites. But I don't see much on which kites are the best of the best in the expert realm. 
      I hope someone can bring me up to speed on what's new in the kiting world. I have a lot of time to make up,  Even though I never stopped flying, I stopped being involved after that fateful day 20 years ago. 
      I have much to give and I need some help as I launch a new beginning. 
    • By jasonmcmahon76
      Hello! 
      My name is Jason, I am from Melbourne Australia.
      I was recently introduced to a 2 line stunt kite by my brother in law, and I was hooked!   I did some research online and am now the proud owner of a Prism Quantum and a 75 foot tube tail.
      I have had a few outings with it already, and I am sure you are probably not surprised to learn that I am already waiting on replacement center T as a result of some high speed soil samples.
      So in the meantime I was hoping for some advice and suggestions!
      What would you consider "must have" accessories? Is there a list of stunts or some sort of order that I should start learning them in? Good online resources for said stunts? (other than this one!) General tips and tricks for total noobs? Relating to the Quantum: Any suggested mods, tips or tricks? What parts are most prone to breaking? Thank you in advance!
      Jason.
    • By CrosswindLaunch
      Hello all,
      I acquired a kite a few years ago, and have been trying to figure out how to put it together since I got it. So far I've had no luck. The kite is a Joel K Scholz Signature Series Delta; the 20' Raptor to be precise. It came with a bag of carbon rods, but they all seem to be different sizes. Do any of you happen to have plans, or a diagram that shows how to assemble one of these things? I'd love to put it together and see it up in the air. It looks beautiful. Thanks for any help! I appreciate your time.
      -Steve
    • By Marks1
      My son wanted a new kite becuase our old one broke. I have always bought cheap ones from a department stone and then just throw them away after a couple of uses. Our neighbor was having a yard sell and we stopped there on our way to walley world. The neigbor was selling what looked like a really nice kite so I bought it. It was handmade by someone named Ansel Toney that lived close to his parents. The flew it a couple of times and he got it after they died but never flew it. The kite is 30 years old but looks almost new. It is box delta that is 11 feet across. it was missing the back cross rod. It does not have a pocket for the rod just a couple of metal rings. The distance between the metal rings in 62 inches.
      Any help with what I need to buy and where I should by it would be appreciated. I live in central KY and we do not have any kite stores in our area. Here are some pictures that I hope will help.
      Thanks.

• By Mark Sullivan
      Hi Guys,

I was going through my grandpa's old kites awhile ago and I found a really cool quad called a Synergy Deca by Guildworks. The problem is that this quad is the most confusing kite I have ever seen. Problems with putting it together are made worse by the fact that I'm pretty sure half the spars are missing/broken.
      I really want to build and fly this kite. I've written to GuildWorks (who apparently builds big fabric art awnings now) with no reply. I've scoured the internet but I can't find anyone that actually has this early model kite, and while there are some other GuildWorks kite videos out there, each GuildWorks kite seems to be uniquely complicated in construction (in this model there are just as many tangled lines as there are spars) and no one focuses on this model.
      I'm looking for anyone that can help with any of the following
      1) original build instructions
      2) assembly video or online resource
      3) spar list and dimensions of spars so I can get replacements
      Thanks for reading,
  • Upcoming Events