KiteLife Forum

New XUL.. Not Tails

riffclown

Looking to name my first non-tails project. It's also my first venture into Ripstop Poly. Would love suggestions from you.

Simple plan is to overlap the panels for additional strength. Simplistic 2 piece sail with Ripstop Nylon LE. Will use Dacron Ribbon for reinforcement points. 

P200 Frame is planned since I have that on hand but a P90 or even hybrid frame might also be in the future for this wing.. Hopefully will complete this project over the Holiday weekend.. 

Image1.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/1/2017 at 9:04 PM, happysuperbutton said:

Didn't realize your previous Meshes were not using ripstop poly :huh:

This looking to be another cool addition.

They are all ripstop nylon kite tails from Gomberg.. This is my first kite NOT made from tails.. Biggest difference between the two materials though is how they handle moisture.. Ripstop Nylon will saturate, get heavy and stretch.. Ripstop Poly not so much..

KiteFestival2015.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@happysuperbutton

Revs and similar quad kites most often use PC31 Icarex which is a Ripstop Poly. The Rev EXP varies somewhat depending on when it was made.. The Freilein Vertigos are said to be PC20 which is lighter but still unproven in the eyes of many.. The Exodus is the more familiar PC31 type material.. Finally the Phoenix I'm pretty sure is Icarex/Poly as well.

There is also a material lighter and stronger than either out there called Cuben Fiber which is a dyneema based weave. Very expensive and limited options there though..

Everything is about balance of strength vs weight vs material characteristics..  My Sails from Tails projects are just having fun with materials that produce interesting designs.. It all started with me wanting to make my own mesh..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/1/2017 at 6:21 PM, riffclown said:

@happysuperbutton

Revs and similar quad kites most often use PC31 Icarex which is a Ripstop Poly. The Rev EXP varies somewhat depending on when it was made.. The Freilein Vertigos are said to be PC20 which is lighter but still unproven in the eyes of many.. The Exodus is the more familiar PC31 type material.. Finally the Phoenix I'm pretty sure is Icarex/Poly as well.

There is also a material lighter and stronger than either out there called Cuben Fiber which is a dyneema based weave. Very expensive and limited options there though..

Everything is about balance of strength vs weight vs material characteristics..  My Sails from Tails projects are just having fun with materials that produce interesting designs.. It all started with me wanting to make my own mesh..

Haha awesome thanks for the info. Read up on Chikara bring another very commonly used material for stunt kites.

On 9/1/2017 at 0:31 AM, riffclown said:

Looking to name my first non-tails project. It's also my first venture into Ripstop Poly. Would love suggestions from you.

The fist theme that pops up is some kind of night/shadow/greyStormySky/sea theme. Here are some suggestions:
Night ride(er), Nightride, Night wing, Night sky, Night music, Nocturne, Nocturnal darkness of the black night (just kidding), Nocturnal dream, Lucid dream, Nox, Nox hue, Nox shade, Nox shadow, Dark horizon, Ambient occlusion, Occluded night, Dark occlusion, Flat shade, Smooth shade, Cobalt blue, Cobalt sky/sea, Nimbus, Stormy waters, Dusk squall, Eerie ash...

Why only dramatic?:
Slow Sunday (rain), (Slow) Morning rain, Spring evening, Dream of dawn, Dawn dream, Poly(ester) dream...

More nature - mineral rocks!:
Slate impact, Slate, Dark ore, Iron ore, Blue/Black onyx, Graphite haze (why not?)

• 1 month later...

XUL- The Darkside aka Indigo Sunrise and @Tim P.'s favorite BATMAN.. Finally get some decent Airtime.. I'll admit this one took a while because it did NOT fly as planned initially.

Today I finally got the XUL tuned properly.. My original Bridles had to be redone due to a stress point created by my original guesswork. It made it warp slightly when the sail was in the air under any tension. With the bridles reworked, this kite was flying today in breeze you could barely feel. At one point, it was the only kite being flown while others were waiting for wind. Lines were 120' 100# Skybond. Thank You Tim P. for manning the camera for me. A few others @nckiter & @drdougie also flew it and a few of my full sails.. All in all it was a good day to fly and share the sky with friends..

• Like 6

• 5 months later...