KiteLife Forum

Gliding without Springs,

JWharton

To improve the glide you need a rounded off leading edge (curvature OVER the top) surface, like a frisbee looks "edge on".  

You effect this change by trapping the elastic knots, washer, etc behind the down spars and behind the caps.  You need a restrictor line added, that runs from the center attachment point on the bridle (at the leading edge loop) to the tops of the end-caps.  This line holds the newly created bundle in place securely as you flail around.

When done, your hand will fit in-between the frame and sail material at the top by the leading edge easily.  Notice how different the location of the curvature is placed compared to the reflex models (this way is tight and tucked against the leading edge, not way down in the sail's center)

This glide is beneficial in low/no-wind and possibly a deterrent in a big gust due to surging.  That is not my experience but I have heard this comment from others.

To compare the difference?  Throw each kite w/o lines affixed.  One will go across the county and the other will die a few feet away!

Is it better aerodynamically?  That is a personal question, only you can answer.

This change will not work on the Phoenix models as they have the top end caps lashed to back of the sail, but on a B-series or Shook mesh it easy to accomplish.

You have invested only some bridle line and time, easy to undo if it is not to your liking.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JWharton said:

20170930_001917.jpg
Tinkered, end caps down, and I think I have a fair bit of curvature in my leading end,

Launching without lines did not try that will do though see what happens emoji41.png

Too much tension on the uprights now. Ease it up by loosening the bottom bungees, and possibly tightening the ends of the leading edge after that. You want to minimize that "crease" right over the vertical spars. The sail should be tight, but not stretched.

• Like 1

The trick is to gently stretch the sail out without adding any creases. Use the bunjis at the bottom and end caps to still get the sail flat, without adding any wrinkles. Those indicate stress areas that pulled too tight for too long will fail.

No automatic alt text available.

• Like 1