KiteLife Forum

Break down in mesh panels.

JWharton

Please take a picture and share.. THere are different options but some of those optios depend on what caused the holes.. Make sure the frame is in when you that the picture..

Causes of holes with their solutions

• Repeated folding same spot  -- Repair and reinforce with Dacron patch
  • Sail too tight and a stress point -- Reduce tension and repair/replace mesh. Possible stress strip needed
  • Friction with frame -- Add Backing strip and repair
  • Improper packing -- Repair and adjust packing procedure
  • External impacts -- It happens.. Different levels of repair
  • Like 2

@JWharton Given the location, I'd personally suggest a wear strip. Looking at the overall condition of your mesh, this was likely an impact or friction tear. But also given the location, this is an area that the tear can quickly grow into a significant problem for you.  I've gotten tears like that landing in tall grass before so you might not have noticed when it happened.  That being said, your repair can easily be handled by the wear strip upgrade.. They will stabilize the issue and add years to the life of your kite.  Talk to @John Barresiabout it as he does provide that service... Given that you are international though, it might be cost effective to do yourself.. Insignia Tape or even the Kevlar type fabric can be sewn to the mesh and will not only fix the problem but prevent future related issues..

http://kitelife.com/forum/store/product/31-wear-stretch-strips/

It's exactly the same place both sides,

We spoke about wear strips at the clinic just wondering if there was another solution don't have sowing machine don't want one.

I will find someone to do it shouldn't be a problem

will it change the feel of the sail as it will be going over the vent?

Sent from my SM-G903F using KiteLife mobile app

If it's the same places on both sides, are you sure it didn't come that way?  It would be quite odd for that type of damage to happen symmetrically.  (unless you fold your kite in half to roll and store)   As for the adjustments changing the flying characteristics, I'd say minimally to slightly. I personally wouldn't notice it but a more advanced flier might.

Alternate solutions would be to hand stitch back together with good quality thread.. There is no invisible repair here though..

• Like 1

Where do you keep the uprights when you pack up the kite? Do you roll up the kite part way, put the rods in and roll the rest of the way? The ends of all your spars are quite sharp and abrasive. Make sure that each end of each rod rests inside the kite in a manner that will not affect the mesh or the sail material. Don't roll the kite as tightly or put the uprights outside of the sail in the sleeve. Check the ends of the spars for chips, cracks or uneven cuts. Sand if necessary. Best way to fix and apply prevention at the same time is to install wear strips on the back of the kite and just a dab of cyanoacrylate glue where it is severed to keep it from spreading. If you don't have a sewing machine, find someone who does and knows how to use it. The job is very fast and easy. Research the project here using the search option using "wear strips". Once you have the material cut to size, the sewing takes no more than 20 minutes. 

• Like 1

If it's the same places on both sides, are you sure it didn't come that way?  It would be quite odd for that type of damage to happen symmetrically.  (unless you fold your kite in half to roll and store)   As for the adjustments changing the flying characteristics, I'd say minimally to slightly. I personally wouldn't notice it but a more advanced flier might.
Alternate solutions would be to hand stitch back together with good quality thread.. There is no invisible repair here though..

I won't notice then cool

Where do you keep the uprights when you pack up the kite? Do you roll up the kite part way, put the rods in and roll the rest of the way? The ends of all your spars are quite sharp and abrasive. Make sure that each end of each rod rests inside the kite in a manner that will not affect the mesh or the sail material. Don't roll the kite as tightly or put the uprights outside of the sail in the sleeve. Check the ends of the spars for chips, cracks or uneven cuts. Sand if necessary. Best way to fix and apply prevention at the same time is to install wear strips on the back of the kite and just a dab of cyanoacrylate glue where it is severed to keep it from spreading. If you don't have a sewing machine, find someone who does and knows how to use it. The job is very fast and easy. Research the project here using the search option using "wear strips". Once you have the material cut to size, the sewing takes no more than 20 minutes. 

No the rods get rolled on the leading edge.

Where did you find someone to fix it? :( :(

I made my own wear strips from insignia tape. Didn't have to sew them either. Just took my time cutting to size and used a laminate roller to secure them down. They lasted several years that way. I would suggest, if using that adhesive tape, to put a small piece on the front side too, otherwise crap will stick to the tape on the exposed front side through the mesh.

• 1 month later...