KiteLife Forum

Looking for info on a TOTL kite.

RobbyC33

Hi all,

I am looking for some info in a kite i was recently given. The label says its a Top of the Line Hawaiian spin off.  I am from the UK and can find any information about the kite. Can any one tell me the ideal flying conditions as its a bit bigger and  heavier than the ones I am used too!!

Many thanks

received_355794004872283.jpeg

Sorry to see you did not receive a quick answer to your kite inquiry.  I don't have any experience with that particular kite although I have wanted to try some kites from the famous TOTL brand.  I would guess that kite would have been traditionally flown on a longer line set, perhaps even 150', back in the day.  I would try it on 85' x 150 LB lines in at least 8 mph winds or better.  Regular Hawaiian kites have a reputation as loud strong pulling kites.  Don't know about the Spin Off but it looks fast.  Just get out there & give it a flail.  We would love to hear your impression of this classic kite.  Welcome to KiteLife.  Best wishes to you.

Know Eye Deer,  SHBKF

If it's both bigger and heavier than you are used to, it will probably fly in similar winds but be a little sluggish. Bigger sail to fly in less wind. Heavier frame needing more wind. The older kites weren't very efficient in the use of sail pressure so I would guess maybe from 12km/h up. Double yes on the #150 X 85 foot lines.

We are a friendly and helpful bunch, just be a little patient.

Sent from my SM-G950F using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Some discussion and material on the KiteLife site already... ;)

==

Original review in SKQ magazine (from Fall/Winter 1989)...
http://kitelife.com/1989/12/01/skq-vol-2-no-1-fall-winter-1989/
 (page 38)

Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 12.42.03 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 12.42.11 PM.png

==

http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/2819-totl-hawaiian-spinoff/

==

http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/5094-vintage-hawaiian-spinoff-questions/

If I remember right, the spinoff was the next in line following the Hawaiian. It offered more precise cornering, and not quite the pull. The frame was the same as the Hawaiian w/out the battens. Originally in fiberglass, but later modified w/graphite. I even had a frame of A2400 carbon rods, it could fly in low winds. Of course thats all relative. In a good breeze say 10-12 plus I used 120' 150-200lb lines. Though more precise than the Hawaiian, it still needed room to work.37ea9edd0ed1b003ffd278fa296d830f.jpg