KiteLife Forum

Backward fly

tbressure

Hello, I've been told by a competition judge that I need to do more backward flight to get a higher score.

I try to apply John Barresi (JB) tip about hand placement on the handle to release pressure on my wrist and I must admit that it works well. No more need of ointment after a windy fly. Another flyer told me to put my hand more on the bottom of the handle but it achieve the same goal but without giving you the three position control of JB'S method.

Despite of the tip, pilot skill is to improve too. I practice ladder on backward fly to help me to improve my skill. What can you suggest me ?

Thierry Bressure

• Like 3

easiest way to learn reverse/backward flight is with the leading edge resting on the ground.  Back-up the kite to waist or shoulder height and then go back to the ground.... do that a few times

Next double the distance traveled backwards to "goal post high" on a soccer field

Get comfortable with the kite an inch above the ground and in reverse flight

You are judged in competition on the "Quad-line effect" so if you only fly forward your score will always be middle of the pack or worse!  

Assemble your routine with straight lines, sharp corners and smooth circles FIRST.  Add it cool stuff as the musical opportunities present themselves, only if you can do them reliably 85-90% successful)

You are trying to hide the difference in speeds between side slides, reverse flight and forward motion.

You need a powerful ending and open sequence too.

KNOW YOUR MUSIC, know every beat, what you intend to do then and where is your next position going to be.  Take graph paper and diagram your routine in five second intervals, flip thru the pages fast and make sure you aren't boring the judges doing the same crap over and over again. Too long of a pieces is more dangerous that short and sweet.  Get in and get out!!!

With all of this stated above,... none of it do I follow myself!  I'm a soul flyer, I don't fly with intent, I fly solely for fun.  Guess what, for about 4 minutes YOU HAVE TO WATCH ME!  I seldom win but nobody has more pleasure than me either.

Decide if you just want to enjoy yourself or if competition has become like a second career (where you must come out on top to gain satisfaction).

Watch video of yourself, to see where easy improvements can be incorporated.  Do you have high wind things to drop if conditions warrant?  what about if it's dead calm, can your routine be adapted to both ends of extreme conditions?  Or do you have two routines assembled?

Some of the best fliers are gone now, burned out and doing something else entirely.  Not me, I have been competing since about 1999 and it is still fun, like I can't believe I get to do this FUN!

Decide what is important to you, but a quad routine without reverse plain and obvious will score poorly in my book too.  I remind people at the pilot's meeting.... "forget about the scoring sheet, if you don't fly slow and with lots of reverse my score will be awful on you!  Many times I see folks flying two stringed routine with a quad-lined kite,... they just don't get it and if they win then neither did their judging staff.

Remember too, the folks judging you are the ones who don't fly in your category.  SUBJECTIVE, do you fly for them or yourself?