KiteLife Forum

Night lights

happysuperbutton

I dunnit.

Here's how much I love my kite I can't stop wanting to fly!

Finally got a night with enough of a puff to launch...but not really fly. Hopeful the winter rain season brings a little more winds after sundown to explore lights further hehehe. :D

20171009_001851.jpg

20171009_001821.jpg

• Like 5

I highly suggest two things:

1:small lights form on the handles too for when you have to stake it walk out and check your sail and come back to the handles. Having a light or glow sticks at the stake end makes finding the handles easier with out resorting to night vision ruining lights. I once used a tiny glow stick made for putting on a fishing bobber to mark my stake on a no moon night.

2: Figure out how to guage when someone is within the range of your lines. I find calculating depth and if people are in the "bonk zone" much harder in the dark. I like to put a marker, usually a gear bag or husband, under the kite end of the line as a guage of where others are in relation to the end of my lines. That way when beach strollers stop and stare I have a feeling for if they are in my kite lines or outside. Don't want the dive stop to be too interactive for either of us. :)

Also, if no one has warned you yet: keep away from roads with night flying... You don't want to cause a "UFO sighting car accident". No kidding. Have fun, night flying is a kick.

Acrop
Maryland based purple quad kiteflier

On 10/31/2017 at 1:18 PM, happysuperbutton said:

I dunnit.

Here's how much I love my kite I can't stop wanting to fly!

Finally got a night with enough of a puff to launch...but not really fly. Hopeful the winter rain season brings a little more winds after sundown to explore lights further hehehe. :D

20171009_001851.jpg

20171009_001821.jpg

Very cool, what winds were you flying in,... did lights add weight, did you have you change line pounds according to wind speed, was that a battery pack or individual lights? I would love to know, I was flying on beach couple weeks ago and lights were flashing red and blue. Hahaha some of my officer friends came down to beach to c what was goin in,   Bs light clips were working great, and I've tried led poster packs and Christmas lights ... any suggestions of what you like

On 11/2/2017 at 9:54 PM, Lisa Bernard / Kiteworld said:

Very cool, what winds were you flying in,... did lights add weight, did you have you change line pounds according to wind speed, was that a battery pack or individual lights? I would love to know, I was flying on beach couple weeks ago and lights were flashing red and blue. Hahaha some of my officer friends came down to beach to c what was goin in,   Bs light clips were working great, and I've tried led poster packs and Christmas lights ... any suggestions of what you like

No wind. 

The wind was dying when I got to the park, by the time I was all "wired up" the wind died for the night.

Regular 80'/90# lines, black race rods.

Button cell battery per color chain, so two altogether.

Not sure what you mean by "Bs light clips" so can't comment. I tried a few other led solutions but all could not provide the same amount of lumens or more, for the weight in comparison to this final solution I went with. 

Use Kitelife's Amazon search bar above to find "led wire lights". I am using the ones with the naked copper wire, that semi-hard ultralight copper wire allows you to "wrap" and "tie" the led chain to the shape of the kite.

Nope, no noticeable weight or flight behavior differences by adding the lights.

Going to hunt for another night with enough winds to fly and share another video. :)

@ACrop thanks for the pointers cool suggestions :)!