KiteLife Forum

Prototype underway... :)

John Barresi

Makes me think of a Vespa. :D

I think I've settled on Kaiju.

Kaiju are typically modeled after conventional animals, mythological creatures, and sometimes even plants; however, there are more exotic examples. While the term kaiju is used in the West to describe monsters from tokusatsu and Japanese folklore, for the purists the kaiju are defined as imaginary creatures of tremendous size and power. Kaiju are depicted as individual gods who represent natural element or phenomena like the deities in japanese religion, for many they are the modern version of they entities. Kaiju are sometimes depicted as cannon fodder serving a greater evil. Some kaiju are elite warriors which serve as the right-hand man to the greater villain and are destroyed by the heroic forces. Others have a neutral alignment, only seeking to destroy buildings and other structures. During the early eras of tokusatsu, "heroic" monsters were seen in daikaiju eiga films, and it was not until later when television tokusatsu productions began using kaiju which aided the hero, saved civilians, or demonstrated some kind of complex personality. These kaiju adopted many classic monster traits, appearing as the "misunderstood creature."

My interpretation from discussions with the Mrs (full Japanese) is that Kaiju encompasses a wide spectrum of beings from the big 'uns down to the little woodly guys who need a teacup on their head filled with water or they'll die. :)

• Like 4

I detect a possible pattern: a mythological creature starting with a "K". Is it so that you prefer to have a panel design/colour similar to the Kymera? I don't say that they are really close, but the red suggestion somewhat reminds me of my 4D. I assume that white is common for indoor/low wind kites(?), since for some reason white is the first colour that I think of. If it is so it should make sense to go against this and really increase the ratio of "colour colour" to white colour. However think of the visibility of the kite against various backgrounds (bright wall, dark wall, opening and outdoors zero wind night) in a worst case dim illumination, so it remains functional under many conditions.

B.t.w. I know of another mythological creature starting with a "K" that happens to be wind related. (Ysätters) "Kajsa" is a Swedish regional wind troll. She likes to play tricks on people and cause other mischief as well ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ysätters-Kajsa ). These properties are hardly a selling point, so it would be unlikely that you would change your mind here regarding the name I believe. 

Or another possibility (it's likely that you already considered it though). Reuse a winning design and make the panel/colour design quite similar to the Kymera, though the kites might be very different from each other. It has been done before, think e.g. (preferably the classic look/version with a non colourful LE): Tramontana, Babytana and Maestrale
http://www.schreibweis.de/_alt/web/Kiting/zweileiner.htm

• Like 1