KiteLife Forum

Kite line questions

Fragpie

I've searched this forum, and elsewhere, and have found some information, but thought I'd ask here:

1)  Besides experience, is there any way to identify the # rating of a mystery kite line?  Do you label your winders for quick ID in the kite bag?

2)  I purchased a Quantum, which comes with #150, 85' lines, but it seems very common to switch to #90 lines for normal conditions.  Are the supplied #150 a safety buffer for new pilots who might not know when the wind is strong enough to switch lines?

A side note:  I've seen here many references to Prism's great customer service.  I can agree-- they sent me a wrong set of lines, and sent out a replacement right away without any hesitation :)

It's always good to label line sets by pound and length, I personally think that in lighter winds or any variable winds it's good to have a lighter line because sometimes the heavier line will bog down your kite. Every kite has different characteristics in different wind and when flown with different pound tests,

Adding to Lisa I will just say that weight and length are both factors of the kite, wind speed and especially personal preferences. It is all about experiencing it by yourself. 

There is no one ""current"" set of lines. Most advanced kites are sold w/o lines or straps.

I normally fly 25m lines for UL and STD kites and 20m lines for my SUL. As to weight ~50 kg for the UL and STD and 25 kg for the SUL.

I buy LazerPro or Climax protec lines only. 

The Quantum pulls a bit and that is why it comes with #150 line. With experience you can make lighter lines work.

85 feet is a great beginner length. Shorter for lighter winds, longer for heavier is a loose general rule. Heavier lines cause drag to slow a kite but the wind pressure will not change in the sail.

I use #50 on my SUL and UL and #90 on my Standard and Vented duals. Lengths vary from 10 to 100 feet. Each line set is labelled for length and strength.

Sent from my SM-G950F using KiteLife mobile app

I think once you move into more performance line sets the weight is more recognizable as the quality control is better. The most standard weights are 50, 90, 150. For the quantum I probably wouldn't go below 90 unless it is a very light day as this kite is pretty heavy.  I have a few 50 sets but just stick with skybond 100 and change length depending on wind and flying locations. A good set of lines will really help in improving touch/feel and how connected you are with the kite, especially when learning more advanced tricks down the road.