KiteLife Forum

Rev 1.5 sle standoffs

Lisa Bernard / Kiteworld

You may be referring to “magic sticks”, an aftermarket mod primarily popular on the east coast and parts of Europe?

http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/7690-what-are-sissy-sticks-heard-them-referred-to-in-a-videoemoji41

http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/5914-magic-sticks-review/

http://kitelife.com/forum/gallery/album/429-revolution-magic-quad-sticks/

They basically resemble kick stands on the back of the kite, as opposed to “stand offs” which hold the sail open on a dual line kite.

off of the back is correct, .....the side opposite of the bridle and sail's logo(s)

"sticks" alter the glide and allow you to risk slack lines tricking and almost always recover from a snagged line if something goes wrong.

They don't add anything except for a "Clam-shell roll-up".  Land the kite leading edge up, resting on the ground.  Relax the strings' tension and step-forward slightly.  The kite falls onto the sticks fitting, then keeps going all the way over with the strings OVER the back of the sail.  To un-roll you step back to re-tension and sharp launch forward command to regain flight.  It's four beats of music.

More advanced?  Enter the roll-up from flight by throwing a half axel very near the soil and then snapping the handles thumb input zone aggressively.

These tricks are near impossible w/o the magic sticks.  The roll-up from the ground is pretty effortless and very reliable when done in the center of the wind window.

The sticks are easy to take off, if you find them undesirable for any reason.

zen#3.jpg

I laughed at folks using these for the first 7 years, now they are even on my indoor kites!

• Like 2

They are good fun. They can be a fidley to set up the first time but easy once you get the hang of them. There are positives and negatives to them. If you have them, give them a spin. Easy to add or remove. Well thought out accessory.

FB_IMG_1509622500096.jpgFB_IMG_1509622450998.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

off of the back is correct, .....the side opposite of the bridle and sail's logo(s)

"sticks" alter the glide and allow you to risk slack lines tricking and almost always recover from a snagged line if something goes wrong.

They don't add anything except for a "Clam-shell roll-up".  Land the kite leading edge up, resting on the ground.  Relax the strings' tension and step-forward slightly.  The kite falls onto the sticks fitting, then keeps going all the way over with the strings OVER the back of the sail.  To un-roll you step back to re-tension and sharp launch forward command to regain flight.  It's four beats of music.

More advanced?  Enter the roll-up from flight by throwing a half axel very near the soil and then snapping the handles thumb input zone aggressively.

These tricks are near impossible w/o the magic sticks.  The roll-up from the ground is pretty effortless and very reliable when done in the center of the wind window.

zen#3.jpg

I laughed at folks using these for the first 7 years, now they are even on my indoor kites!

Cool

17 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

zen#3.jpg

Very cool

QUOTE "Hmm was that an added feature on an sle from manufacturer, or was it personal, flying custom , feature . I had never seen that before"

Originally a flyer made them. Them they were developed into a kit. Worth the postage I reckon.

Sent from my SM-G950F using KiteLife mobile app

doing it yourself allows for potentially fewer knots (which are all every one, a potential tangling point when acres of slack lines are involved)

A commercial version has to be fool-proof for installation.  They incorporate a little 4 legged attachment point "spider" onto  the back of the stick, so each leg is independent of the others.

Some pilots use a slightly different version with only three string attachment points, (the connecting or bridge line is not applied so the wings are still fully independent.

here's a couple of diagrams if you want to try it yourself.

REV 1.5 Magix Stick.pdf

Truss line & Caps.pdf

• Like 1

Flying Smiles still makes kits, and Andy at Ocean Shores Kites has experimented with a kit too.

The only kite I really liked them on was my Zen. Those and the hybrid frame I came up with, really helped the kite fly better - IMHO! The combination of frame and sticks made for a stiffer LE for me.

• Like 1

Pairing the magic sticks with a french bridle definitely allows you to have a much lighter frame in your sail and maintain virtually equal performance as both will work together to stiffen and stabilize the kite..

It's not for everyone, but does make a huge difference when you start down into the extremes for light wind.