KiteLife Forum

moves help.

feelxitxburn

ok after almost a month of daily flying for a good 2 hours a day ive summed up a list of moves im having problems with and with no one in orlando to fly with, this board is the next best thing.

1. in the milking the breeze article pt 2. theres a move for gaining ground loss. i'm suppose to fly to the top of the window and pull the bottom lines or something so it floats away from me, right? so i fly to the top of the window and put the handles in one hand and pull the inside of the bottom lines downward with my free hand. i dont think this is the way im suppose to do this cause it basically stalls and crashes to the ground.

2. axel. ill hover to the right and let the bottom wing out as much as possible to flatten out the kite, which really doesnt happen. i then pull in the same hand at an angle for the bottom wing. i pretty much just get the kite to do a a full spin, nothing special. i dont think im getting the axel effect.

3. flic-flac. i fly the kite to the top of the window and put the handles in one hand and pull the insides of the bottom line with my free hand. and the kite should be almost wrapped in the lines upside down, right?

4. lastly the flat spin. ill hover right again and let the bottom wing out as much as possible. i still dont have that "flattening" look im reading in the moves on the "how to" to pull this off. i then just pull my left hand, which is on top, down across my body to the left. i dont understand what flicking motion is suppose to mean, but basically the kite returns to an upright position so it just looks like i did a 90* turn.

those are the moves ive been having problems with. any help is GREATLY appreciated.

thanks.

Wow, sounds like there are a few moves combined on this.

1. in the milking the breeze article pt 2. theres a move for gaining ground loss. i'm suppose to fly to the top of the window and pull the bottom lines or something so it floats away from me, right? so i fly to the top of the window and put the handles in one hand and pull the inside of the bottom lines downward with my free hand. i dont think this is the way im suppose to do this cause it basically stalls and crashes to the ground.

Ok, A free fall... Go to the top of the window. I don't think you have to put both handles in one hand. Grab the two bottom lines as far out as you can and jerk them to you. "Jerk, or Flick, are words that mean hard enough to make it happen-not so hard you pull it out of it. Let the kite fall free, take a step to 3 steps back, extending handles and stop the kite an inch from the ground.

And that is what it should do if you grab those bottom lines.

Milking the Breeze? Where do they come up with these names? If you want to gain ground. Take the kite to the top of the window, facing 6:00 as an example..push your right handle forward, pulling (pulling-see jerk)your left handle up a bit. Your right hand is pushing down on your thumb, or your breaks.

In other words, the kite is inverted and your giving it lift. But if it's a dead weight in no wind, you have to keep it moving. So you work it back and forth. Your arms are to the right, switch the kite from 5:00 to 7:00. Once you learn to lay the kite down, you'll be able to do this and much more.

Axle? Practice. Can you pivot across the window yet? a foot from the ground, diagonal, tip to tip? Reverse walk across.

Flick Flack? Your wanting the kite to wrap in the lines instead of popping in and out of the window? Pull, release, pull release?

Hmm, seems like everything we tried to avoid is a trick now. :) I'm showing my age.

What is the difference between an Axle and a flat spin?

A month of flying is great isn't it! Enjoy the months ahead with it.

I can describe a no-wind Axle ~kind of sort of~ I like to put a wrap in it first. Flying, Lay the kite flat. Pull wing at shoulder height, pre-act with the pull on the right hand to keep the kite from falling out. I'm sure that 's not much help.... But I know your having fun trying!

Best Breezes,

Penny

Axle? Practice. Can you pivot across the window yet? a foot from the ground, diagonal, tip to tip? Reverse walk across.

i have no idea what pivoting across a window or reverse walk across. if pivoting across a window is hovering in that direction and just spinnin the kite around the center while going across, i can but only slowly at this point. on the reverse walk across i have no clue what that is, so i couldnt say :)

Milking the Breeze? Where do they come up with these names? If you want to gain ground. Take the kite to the top of the window, facing 6:00 as an example..push your right handle forward, pulling (pulling-see jerk)your left handle up a bit. Your right hand is pushing down on your thumb, or your breaks.

ha no, milking the breeze was an article Barresi wrote. he describes going to the top of the window deal and lets it "float" away from him.

so when the kite is at the top of the window inverted. i should be swiveling the kite from 5-7?

ha no, milking the breeze was an article Barresi wrote. he describes going to the top of the window deal and lets it "float" away from him.

so when the kite is at the top of the window inverted. i should be swiveling the kite from 5-7?

I have found that you take the kite to the top spin it by braking the right and pulling (sliding) the left. This should turn the leading edge away from you and the kite should float away allowing you to gain ground and just before you get close to grounding, go full brake/reverse and you should be able to shoot up or sideways. This worked for me during low wind conditions (after practice though :) ). I just bought a Blast last week and after watching the videos from Rev kites and Barresi (they make it look so easy) I ahd to go out an screw up a few times. Crashing in front of Carmel-By-The Sea tourists ahhhh... What a tough crowd. I was pretty good at flying my EXP but then again the Blast is soooo beyond the EXP.

Keep it up...remember it's the challenge of learning and accomplishing that makes kite flying what it is...

Purely addictive...a healthy addiction :innocent:

QUOTE(feelxitxburn @ Apr 12 2006, 08:58 PM)

You can go up, lay it down and float to the right, and turn, floating to the left, or you can up again and start over. Since I no wind fly, I think of my left hand not only pulling slightly back towards your ears. (this gives the kite lift) but pushing my brake and actually moving my left hand up in an upside down position. But again, I was thinking NO wind, not milking the breeze. It's a matter of practice and what ever works.

The main thing in a light breeze is keep it moveing. If someone snaps to 9:00 and holds it there w/no wind to light wind then they are giving an illusion of it stopping. They have to move backwards at that point to hold it on spot.

You'll find indoor kiteflyers come up with some unique ways to make the kite move with no wind.

BB

Penny