KiteLife Forum

Computer software to help kite design?

Flintfootfilly

I have made 3 four-line kites recently using hand-drawn templates, and would be interested in finding some computer software that would make this more easy to replicate.  I am only ever going to be making the occasional kite for my own use, so any fancy, expensive CAD software is out.

Wondering what others do?  Have you found some cheap/free software that works for producing full-size drawings of kite outline and panel layout, and gives the option of including seam allowances?  Or are hand-drawn templates the way to go?

Thanks for any thoughts.

J

• Like 1

I've been using Google SketchUp and am very pleased with it. It is a 3D application, and even though you only need 2D to do the design, it gives you the option of including frame members and fittings in your drawings if you want to get really creative.

I have also used APM Graph Lite which is a 2D app, but somewhat tedious as far as use goes.

These are both freeware. I really like SketchUp and heartily recommend it. It's overkill, but in a good way. Here's a couple of samples of what you can do:

H2 Extreme v6.png

End Cap.jpg

9 hours ago, Flintfootfilly said:

Thanks!  I like the fancy end cap! 😀 I had a quick look at Sketch-Up earlier today.  Couldn't seem to produce 2D drawings on it, though?  Will take a look at the other one you mention...

Everything in SketchUp is 2D until you give it thickness. It gives the backside a different hue so you know it's not the front. In other words it's 2D, but you can swing it around and look at the back or the edge. If you look at the edge it's only as thick as the line you drew it with, even if you zoom in. And, trust me, it is so much easier to use than most other apps of this type that are available as freeware. Play with it some more -- it will grow on you.

List of free (as in beer at least) CAD software
48 free as of Sun Nov 19 09:17:01 CET 2017 (48 because LibreCAD at the top of the page wasn't included in the 47 item list):
https://alternativeto.net/software/caduntu/?license=free

Sailcut CAD
Mainly for sewing sails, but a wing geometry can perhaps offer some comfort. Handles camber of a sail (3D i.e.) and provides the flat (2D) panels.

3D-sail.pngwirefram.pngdev.pngwing.png

http://www.sailcut.com/handbook/en/

dimensions.png

Choose basic panel layout. OK panels can't be chosen absolutely freely, especially in wing rig geometry. If you feel artistically limited by this you could try to circumvent by assembling a panel by flat sub panels outside the program I assume. Chose the width of the seam and hem.

setShape.png
Mould the 3D shape of the sail or set it to flat if you want to stay 2D (but then loosing the main feature of the program - close to pointless).

panelPrint.png
Print (to file?) - each panel gets one page. Coordinates are included. Once it is printed to a file, how to print each panel 1:1 if it would be larger than an A4 (or letter), is a separate problem. E.g. Pdfposter (Linux only?) could split and resize each panel: "Pdfposter can be used to create a large poster by building it from multiple pages and/or printing it on large media". An alternative would be to export it to another of the several available formats and then use some other method to print it.

Questions? Sorry I just quickly tried Sailcut CAD out - never really sewn anything sail like in rip stop (except for a very small parachute as a child).

Inkscape
Vector drawing tool. Native format is svg, but can handle a lot of formats including pdf, at least one page at a time. I really recommend Help > Tutorials. The tutorials are just svg-files that you edit according to the instructions in them. Svg can be included in html, contain links and be edited with a text (or XML) editor.

inkscapePaneloutset.png

Triangle with outset. 

Also see:

https://inkscape.org/en/

http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/7799-team-kitelife-logo-contest/?do=findComment&comment=63448

https://www.w3schools.com/graphics/svg_intro.asp

(Sort of) instruction for drawing one panel and adding an outset:

1. Draw a polygon corresponding to a panel, either by the line tool or by creating a shape (a rectangle, a letter...) and then convert it to a path (Path > Object/Stroke to path).
  2. Create a polygon path corresponding to the panel, either by the line tool (shift + F6) or by converting a shape (e.g. a rectangle, a letter...) to a path.
  3. Press F2 to edit the nodes of the path.
  4. Duplicate the path by selecting the path and press ctrl-D. This makes an overlapping copy of the path.
  5. Create the seam/hem width by using the outset function "ctrl-)" or by Path > Outset .
  6. It is possible to change the stroke of one of the paths to a segmented line if you think it makes it clearer by the Fill and stroke dialogue (shift+ctrl+F).

sailDrawing.pdf

Thanks Makatakam and Exult.  Loads of thngs for me to try! 

When I tried Sketch-Up the other day, I couldn't find a way to see it only in 2D.   I really only want it for drawing panel plans that I can then cut around.   It kinda looked as though I might have to go for the paid version to be able to do that, but maybe I just need to spend more time exploring what it (and other packages) can do.

when you can afford it

"adobe Illustrator" allows you to specific Pantone Matching System colors (PMS is the language of color standards for various industries), apply tint percentages (opaque or 1/2 of one percent) and overlap colors (it matters what fabric color sequence order is on top) to see how it comes out.  

Vector Artwork is created. You can scale it to full size for a paper template ,or map it to a cutter, be it laser or a knifed edge directly.  You can ink-jet a sail on a roll fed printer (uncoated nylon) or have it sent out for DyeSublimation process on Icarex marrying both heat and pressure for a color set thats' truly permanent (Spiro styled Rev kites are an example)

I wouldn't have it except for the working requirements of my employment position.  Worth the money?  YES it certainly is!

here's a quick sketch as an example, "dumbed down" to fit here thru a PDF squeeze

1.5_FSK_french_copy.pdf

• 6 months later...