Jump to content
KiteLife Forum
Joe Eyman

Handle length

Recommended Posts

Handle length is ALL about personal preference. Some like longer some shorter.. 13" and 15" are the most common.. 11" comes with the Supersonic.. 13" is the standard for most other Rev packages.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your flying style and the size of the kite make a difference. Longer handles allow you to use smaller input motion to accomplish the same result as would a greater input with shorter handles. A smaller kite, like a Rev2 doesn't need as much input and therefore doesn't require long handles. At this point you throw in personal preference and physical ability. For instance, old farts like me don't have the arm strength and stamina to apply the force needed to apply leverage to a longer handle without tiring and pain, so I prefer shorter handles on the average. Folks with handicaps may use longer handles in some situations to increase the input to compensate for small range of motion in their arms. In other words, whatever works for you is best, but you have options if you understand what is possible. You find out what can be done by trying various combinations. When you fly with others try their setups and pay close attention so you can duplicate that setup when you need it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.....and just because I couldn't resist the temptation. It's not the length of the handle that's important, but how you use it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For myself I will use 13' handles on most days, like a standard setup. If the winds are light (0-5) then I go with 15' handles for more throw. Conversely if the winds are up say 15+ I'll go to the 11' handles giving me a tad more stability, it keeps the kite from getting away from me, allowing for more control. My thoughts anyway. I'm curious to hear thoughts on this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13's on all but one Rev in the 1.5 format. From B Std all the way to PoloVTD, 0 to 80km/h winds, 30 to 120 foot line sets.

 

The exception is my street rev. 15's on that one. I have it set up to be very twitchy. It's only ever on 30 footers.

 

In between Heaven and Earth, there are kites.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whtmtn said:

For myself I will use 13' handles on most days, like a standard setup. If the winds are light (0-5) then I go with 15' handles for more throw. Conversely if the winds are up say 15+ I'll go to the 11' handles giving me a tad more stability, it keeps the kite from getting away from me, allowing for more control. My thoughts anyway. I'm curious to hear thoughts on this.

Yup, most people, most of the time, will find this works well.

The one exception is very, very lightweight kites in very light (1mph and less) wind. Any exaggerated input with longer handles tends to pull the kite out of the sky. You can get used to the longer ones, but you have to make the transition each time you switch to that kind of kite. With short handles you don't have to spend the time getting used to making decreased inputs -- the shorter handles make it possible to use the same inputs you would use with a standard kite -- making the transition automatic, which keeps your muscle memory consistent and intact. In other words, you're not confusing the brain with different data to achieve what it has already learned.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joe Eyman said:

Liking the input! Think I’m going to make more effort to switch with wind and kite for more or les wind .....good reason to set up more than one kite! Win win!


Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

And then you vary the strength and length of the lines in the mix for that "ohh yeeeaaaahhhh" combination.

That's what makes kiting a lifetime learning experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
And then you vary the strength and length of the lines in the mix for that "ohh yeeeaaaahhhh" combination.
That's what makes kiting a lifetime learning experience.

Yes, several line sets now......didn’t think they would make as much difference!
Really enjoying the 30’ 50# lines....no wind no problem.....


Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2017 at 3:12 AM, makatakam said:

Yup, most people, most of the time, will find this works well.

The one exception is very, very lightweight kites in very light (1mph and less) wind. Any exaggerated input with longer handles tends to pull the kite out of the sky. You can get used to the longer ones, but you have to make the transition each time you switch to that kind of kite. With short handles you don't have to spend the time getting used to making decreased inputs -- the shorter handles make it possible to use the same inputs you would use with a standard kite -- making the transition automatic, which keeps your muscle memory consistent and intact. In other words, you're not confusing the brain with different data to achieve what it has already learned.

Not my experience at all, low or no wind is a time for a longer handle (weight is also a consideration, more mass=tougher to change directions). Light weight lines are more flimsy, so a more powerful handle input overcomes some stretchy feelings, i have 17 & 19 (titanium, grade 5, tubes) for dead calm, from a "burka "rev2, to Zen, sul B-pro, to reflex.   The 17s are b2 handles with a carbon tube extension jammed into the bottoms after hog ring was removed, very old school method from RecDOTkites

On 11/19/2017 at 3:12 AM, makatakam said:

Yup, most people, most of the time, will find this works well.

The one exception is very, very lightweight kites in very light (1mph and less) wind. Any exaggerated input with longer handles tends to pull the kite out of the sky. You can get used to the longer ones, but you have to make the transition each time you switch to that kind of kite. With short handles you don't have to spend the time getting used to making decreased inputs -- the shorter handles make it possible to use the same inputs you would use with a standard kite -- making the transition automatic, which keeps your muscle memory consistent and intact. In other words, you're not confusing the brain with different data to achieve what it has already learned.

Transition is how it feels, if you don't like "it" you change something. Ha, Marc our standard kite in DC is a tuned SUL 1.5 on 50#\100s with at least 15 inch throws using the lightest weight frame you own.  Without this your probably missing 5 months of the year.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with Paul on this one - Lighter wind = longer handles for me.

I use 3 different sets - 13", 14", 15" for different wind conditions. The 14" are my "standard handles", probably used 75% of the time. They are a good compromise set - a little longer, but not too long, for almost all my usual flying. 13" work great in screaming wind and I'm on my X/V, no need for all the extra leverage the long provide. Shorter give me more control. Light winds see the 15" come out. I just feel more comfortable with them in light winds. Not sure if the "technical" term is leverage, but I feel a bit more lift, a bit more control, with the longer in those conditions. 

If you're wondering how I have 14", since the way they are measured from the factory is before bending and Rev only offers handles in odd inch sizes (13", 15", etc), I had mine made for me. Same gent that makes JB's dogstake, made them. I had him bend them a little flatter (less), more like my Indoor handles. Gives me a bit extra brake already built in! Gotten so used to them that picking up stock handles with the rings, takes a bit to readjust my inputs! And that is my roundabout way to say it is all about developing your own personal "feel"! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2017 at 5:23 PM, Wayne Dowler said:

the way they are measured from the factory is before bending and Rev only offers handles in odd inch sizes (13", 15", etc)

Nit-picking yes..., but the Rev indoor came with 14” (carbon fibre) handles. I.e. the (curved) centre line of the handle measures about 36cm (~14”).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2019 at 9:33 AM, Exult said:

Nit-picking yes..., but the Rev indoor came with 14” (carbon fibre) handles. I.e. the (curved) centre line of the handle measures about 36cm (~14”).

And all my outdoor sets are bent pretty close to the same angle, that's how much I like them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...