KiteLife Forum

Line length

JWharton

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question, I've been borrowing some lines for my dualie but the time has come to hand them back, so starts a new collection of lines.

My question is this shall buy some of a similar length about 100ft or go shorter, I'm not intending to team fly with them, if I do I can borrow some longer lines

Don't say both I'm not made of money(although 2 new sails will be appearing over the next 10 days🤣).

Any input appreciated,

Sent from my SM-G930F using KiteLife mobile app

I would lean towards buying longer lines, like 120's, and (maybe, eventually) cutting them down to two sets of 80' and 40'. The longer lines will probably only cost 20% more than an 80' set, but only about half of what buying two sets will eventually cost. If the extra 20% is not in your budget, find out what length sets the other kites come with so you don't end up with too many of the same length. If you keep on flying kites, buying bulk and making your own and/or buying longer sets will always be more economical in the long run.

I have a few dual lengths but mostly fly at 100 feet. I use #50 and #90 in that length. I want a #150 set but have to make do for now.

#90 X 100 feet would be my recommendation. As they wear, chop them down...

In between Heaven and Earth, there are kites.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,
Just a quick question, I've been borrowing some lines for my dualie but the time has come to hand them back, so starts a new collection of lines.
My question is this shall buy some of a similar length about 100ft or go shorter, I'm not intending to team fly with them, if I do I can borrow some longer lines
Don't say both I'm not made of money(although 2 new sails will be appearing over the next 10 days🤣).
Any input appreciated,

Sent from my SM-G930F using KiteLife mobile app

For dual line, 90lb X 85ft lines are ideal.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Been using 50 lb x 50 ft and 90 lb x 82 ft last 2 days. Don't care for the 50. They came with a micron but I am going to save them for sul use. Tried them on a nighthawk in low wind. Not enough talent yet for success. Thinking 100 ft 65 lb cut down to 35 ft for nighthawk low wind 65 ft to calm the micron a bit. After using the nighthawks lines and comparing my 150 lb x 80 ft widow ng lines I think the 150's are inferior. On light wind days going to use the 90's on the widow. Don't see a need for short set on it. Was thinking 150 lb x  100 ft of high end stuff. After reading this I realized most experienced fliers on a lot of posts recommend the 80 to 85 . Why? Don't know what high end line stuff is either. Yet

After reading this I realized most experienced fliers on a lot of posts recommend the 80 to 85 . Why? Don't know what high end line stuff is either. Yet

If you are trick flying, when you get over 85ft you start to get a lag between input and response. I like the connection you get with the kite on 85 ft to 75ft lines.If your flying figures or team flying you need the larger window 90 to 120 foot lines give you.

@

• Like 1

Thanks that makes perfectly simple sense. I'm' going to replace the lines on a widow ng soon. Was thinking 100 ft would help quicken the learning curve.Makes sense that the additional lag time won't do that. My 90 lb are actually 65 ft not 82. I'll try that when my lower spreader is repaired.

Thanks that makes perfectly simple sense. I'm' going to replace the lines on a widow ng soon. Was thinking 100 ft would help quicken the learning curve.Makes sense that the additional lag time won't do that. My 90 lb are actually 65 ft not 82. I'll try that when my lower spreader is repaired.
If your still doing nose plants then 90 to 100 footers make sense. Having a bigger window gives you more time to recover from a nose dive.

• Like 2

I need to convert your imperial stuff into metric :lol:

More than pound rating, i've come to the conclusion that line brands is important as well. i have a set from HQ and a set from Decathlon. both 130#. the Decathlon ones are twice as thick as the HQ which i presume, creates more drag.

Right now i'm using 130# 100 ft on the silverfox and 130# 80ft on my hypnotist and thinking of using a chopped pair of 150# 65ft on my future orao feel-r160 because that's what i have laying around. might get some shanti or lpg lines when i decide to get new ones

Just remember that the shorter you go in length, the faster your reactions must be. Too short gives you much less time to pull out of any situation. 75' - 85' sounds about right. I have some 50' - 60', but started using them well into my flying experience.

Just remember that the shorter you go in length, the faster your reactions must be. Too short gives you much less time to pull out of any situation. 75' - 85' sounds about right. I have some 50' - 60', but started using them well into my flying experience.

Might sound stupid but i thought of cutting down my 100ft line down to 85ft. Is there a noticeable difference between these lengths? Or is it not worth the hassle?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using KiteLife mobile app

Friction increase with time of use of the Spectra line and they are therefore not as slippery as a new one. Isn't a problem using a spectra line as a SUL bridle that it is a bit too slippery to hold knots? I had some minor issues (but somewhat annoying) with my HQ Shadow bridle (which I believe is spectra/Dyneema) before. A high friction Spectra line then sound more fit to be used a SUL bridle, thus giving a second life to some old lines? (nope never made any bridles from scratch what so ever).

On 12/11/2017 at 5:32 AM, cerfvoliste said:

For dual line, 90lb X 85ft lines are ideal.

A nice line length if the field easily allows it, giving you room for both tricking and more relaxed figure flying. Usually go between 20m and 25m 38kg (66' and 82' 84lbs) and 15m 25kg (39' 55lbs) for low wind flying. I believe having time on the 20m set teaches you to make use of the available space, making the 25m feel like a luxury length. I guess if I'd take the consequence of this I'd make more use of the 15m 38kg (49' 84lbs) in medium wind to really learn to be economic with space or try street kiting perhaps? Street kiting b.t.w. is short lines yes, but is it always performed in light wind too?
Prefer at least 25m lines when towing my 23m (75') Prism tails.

• Like 1

Maybe this low wind sitting around is starting to make me over think with very little experience to come to logical conclusions. I do know this. Dragging my lines around the pasture getting stuck in weeds and grasses is bad!! Can not use the fifties outside my yard. Yard is a 1/2 acre and with a low wind kite will be a really good space.My best trick is still the nose dive. As that gets less entertaining won't be such an issue but still an issue. Buying in bulk from china gets me the same stuff. Shanti and the like pricey. Chopping up new 120 or 150 seems a bit drastic to me. Climax Protec or Q pro in 500'  65 lb, 90 lb and 150 lb cutting as wanted  seems a good way to learn. Still haven't found a place to get that stuff . Still haven't used my 100' 150 lb set either. That'll be fun. Looking forward to feeling the difference between the cheap and the good. Heck if it wouldn't have been for all you people sharing knowledge and opinions I'd have stayed happy not knowing, not knowing :blue-confused:

Here in the USA, the three most popular brands of line are: Laser Pro Gold, Shanti Skybond, and Shanti Speed. All good lines but as you said - spendy. All can be bought in either pre-made sets or in bulk. A couple mail order sites - The Kite Shoppe, A Wind of Change, and Flying Smiles kites .I believe AWOC is the only one to carry all 3 lines. 

Remember to add winders and sleeving (if used) to your order!

• Like 1

After you post something and then ya get a someone reacted notice from the little bell. Went out this morning in 20 plus on 100 ft 150 lb.on a 1.4 snapshot. Went up couldn't handle the  pull right back down. Couldn't tell a difference due to fear factor:kid_brooding:. I really want to get my widow up on the 65 ft 90 lb, Under 10 I'm hoping to see what I'm doing a little better. Finally starting to push instead of pull in a panic. It"s funny every tutorial shows us how and our bodies go augh and totally ignore the physics. 

• Like 2