KiteLife Forum

Comparisons

Breezin

Northcoastwp just dropped prices a bunch . Need a ul . Please share knowledge of Fying wings Silver Fox 2.3,soul ul, (have widow ng),New tech Paladin ul , Acrobatix ul. Ahh the age old ? what would the pros do ? Probably save for a Pro Dancer.

• Like 1

Whatever you get, make sure you don't duplicate what you already have. Get something that will fly in a higher or lower wind range, or that has different flight characteristics.

P.S. -- What khsidekick said. Try some of his before you buy, and get his recommendation for the winds that exist in your area.

• Like 1

Whatever you get, make sure you don't duplicate what you already have. Get something that will fly in a higher or lower wind range, or that has different flight characteristics. P.S. -- What khsidekick said. Try some of his before you buy, and get his recommendation for the winds that exist in your area.

I absolutely love my ProDancer in light wind. I also have a UL Solus and a SUL Lam Hoac ATM and a UL acrobatx. They all have different characteristics. In 1 mph the ProDancer takes the least amount of effort to keep in the Sky. Another option is JB’s new kite that will be out in February.

Oh ya I have several quads you are welcome to try as well.

Sent from my IPhone

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Been trying to not buy the SF ul for a month now.Was in and out all day waiting in 0 to 3. Had my Addiction set to low wind w/o upper spreader waiting for a puff or 2. Won't take out upper spreader again. On 50" lines could really see the flex on landing as the wind quit. Prices for Acrobatix, Palidin and SF are below 100.00 now. After another frustrating low wind day kinda freaking out. For now I can't move fast enough for most light wind flying unless it's something like the Pro Dancer. The Soul ul is in the cart. 2 mph low wind flying for me with any of these kites is probably unrealistic right now. Sigh sanity is returning. Let me know when Khsidekick. Got a pretty open schedule.

Get a Skyburner Pro Dancer SUL.  It will fly when you have the slightest wind.  I fly mine on 90# x 100' with Norm's two finger straps.  It is amazing.  Some of my kites have names.  The PD SUL's name is "My Beloved".  Buy one.  If you don't like it let me know.  I would not mind having two.  SHBKF

gallery_7709_404_588046.jpg

• Like 1

I was flying mine in Patriot Park Pigeon Forge, Tennessee one day in very light wind.  People were watching & commenting that they could not detect any wind.  A mother & son left coming back a little later with a plastic delta slk.  I felt bad as I continued to fly while watching them repeatedly trying to launch then run with the small kite.  They eventually left.  I guess the memories get made at others expense sometimes.  When you get yours do not be tempted to use 50# lines.  It will break them even in light wind.  It is a full size somewhat flat sail & will not dump the wind like a more typical dualie.  It will teach you, stay with it.  Learn sail pressure, gliding out to gain ground & the benefits of apparent wind.  Did I mention I like the kite?  SHBKF

• Like 2

Yes you did :ani_whistling:. Your line set is another plus for the Pro Dancer . Probably crash less than a 4d. I already got 6 nice kites that all got good reviews and are all different . Okay 5 nice kites. Microns a wicked little beast. Haven't flown the Jewel yet but it is a 6 footer and should have notable differences. Really people you should warn us newbies about the need another one  kite syndrome. Oh wait that's the 1st thing we hear and learn LOL. I don't need another nice kite. Need a great kite. Can you get the Pro Dancer with polka dorts ?

Don't want to sound boastful but it is a little. Started adding up what I have invested in this sport so far. From going to get a nice little  HQ to now more than one. All these were bought brand new. Prisms Snapshot 1.4, micron, Premiers , Jewel, Addiction, Nighthawk and Widow ng. Invested $233.50. If your new here or just passing thru egads that much money on kites or how many for so little? Read, read, read these forums and learn. It's these folks preaching patience get the best you can afford find a deal and grow into the kite for better or worse LOL. Woke up last night and started researching the Soul again.Then I'd go back to that serene photo of the Dancer waiting in the meadow:). Fantastic price for what I think is a great kite from reading only(the Soul). Would've been a huge mistake on my part.My Widow ng will take me to the same place. They say it competes with the Benson and Skyburner. If those 2 kites were for sale at that price even before price drop doubt they would have been for sale long. Got up this morning ready to order PDSUL. Remembered Jon T said call back 2nd week of Jan. Sigh PATIENCE. The Kiaju will be called Mothra just because. Even a Lam at full price is a heckuva good deal when you compare cost to fun. Ya'll think I blather now wait till next week when I get my 1st sail cut :devil:.

• Like 3

Is flying Kites a cheap hobby? No, you get what you pay for. Compared to my other hobbies becoming a kite collector is a lot less expensive then other activities I participated in. Bought 2 dirt bikes for my son and myself which cost more than I’ll spend on Kites in my entire life time. Camping gear is in the same category as the bikes now. Had to have a toyhauler to haul the bikes, oh ya wife’s atv, in. Fishing gear, probably spent a couple thousand over the years and barely use any of it anymore. So in the grand scheme of things my kite addiction is relatively cheap, and safer then my other hobbies. Oh ya then there was the side by side I rolled 9 times and almost died. $20,000 Grand down the drain plus all the doctor bills. Seems to me that flying Kites and sharing with anyone interested is a way better investment of my time and money. Can one ever have to many Kites?

Sent from my IPhone

• Like 3

Had to go to the city yesterday to shop. Got a brilliant idea. Made a sign Pro Dancer wanted and taped it to my back. Proceeded to shop and had 3 women and a guy try to hand me let's party cards. After much explanation and many dirty looks I removed the sign. Sigh it's amazing how rude you can be without even meaning to. Got home whipped out the Widow wind lessened. Got out the Addiction wind died. Man I need a Pro Dancer ( kite ) !!!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Breezin said:

Shbkf is that color flo green ?

It is a very bright light green but don't really call it fluorescent.  But I do have a black light in the Kite Dungeon.  I could give it a try & see if it psychedelisizes.  Some people really dislike green kites in general.  Seems I have several green kites including my oldest.   But when I finally located a PD SUL I was just thrilled to get it.  Actually found it in "The Swamp"....   SHBKF

My old 80's 3/4 sail Premier Aerosport.  It is slightly brighter than the Pro Dancer

gallery_7709_404_575851.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Breezin said:

I like that aerosport. Got flo green ordered. If kite was multi colored would add flo pink go figure. If I don't like it you may have another green kite. Don't count on it though :D.

No problemo.  Stacked PD SUL's would be spectacular.  Well at least for me they would.  SHBKF

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'll fly them side by side tomorrow, take notes and post right after. Maybe I can do a better job comparing.Jewel flies more  like the Widow ng but faster. They're matching colors so that's cool.Very smooth. The Addiction totally different beast.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Breezin said:

I'll fly them side by side tomorrow, take notes and post right after. Maybe I can do a better job comparing.Jewel flies more  like the Widow ng but faster. They're matching colors so that's cool.Very smooth. The Addiction totally different beast.

I appreciate it. I am Interested to hear about how they fly compared to each other.

IMG_20180131_074944054.jpg Sorry took so long. Spent to much time flying and was late cooking for the Super Bowl. Pulled it off though :). Winds were above 15 mph early morning and didn't die down till 1000. Split 1 1/2 hour between the 2. Had to go back in warm up a bit and dress warmer. The next 2 1/2 hours I stayed on the Jewel. Limited in my skills but I try most everything and sometimes get lucky. When just zooming around doing figures, turns, dirt glides and such the feel is very similar. Both are quick but control is easier lost on the Addiction. I do best on it with my hands close together with smaller smoother inputs. The Jewel allows for a more looser approach. Coming out of a tight spin it's pretty forgiving and tracks off really well when your hands are anywhere from your hips into center. For the Addiction to not wobble out of the spin I need my arms extended about 3/4's out and my hands just about touching. Difference is pulling the spin out a foot off the ground on the Jewel makes me grin. Addiction makes me laugh. Even though it's smaller the Jewel is slower and in 10 + has a little growl. The Addiction is quiet. If you look at the LE shape you start to get an idea why they respond differently and why 1 is loud and 1 not. The Addiction has bridle adjustments . The Jewel doesn't. Doesn't need them. Addiction has 3 settings. I use middle for 3 to 10 and tilt back for higher. I'll never fly them over 15. Got a Jet Speed, foil and micron for that.Jewel has a spine weight and the Addiction doesn't. Jewel flips easier but not by much. Both are good at yank and spank to get out of a mistake  but the flippy nature of the Jewel can get me right back in trouble pretty quick. More time on the kite needed. Neither has roll ups but I haven't learned to catch them very well yet so don't care yet. Both kites are easy to stall.Jewel is more forgiving on inputs so 1/2 and full axles seem a little easier. Back to the difference in shape and spine weight. But when you hit the groove on the Addiction things just start going bang,bang,bang. Where I sit back a bit and grin with satisfaction on the Jewel the Addiction just drags me to the next move and pretty soon I'm laughing my ass off even when I fail. The Jewel is much more like the Widow ng in that it has a deliberate, solid stately feel. Much lighter feeling but familiar and behaves much the same way. It will wait for inputs and you can fly it with a little distraction. Below 5 just start doing ground work. The funnest thing for me with these smaller kites is popping them off the ground doing flips and spins in little wind. I can fly the Addiction in 3 to 4 with some footwork and timed arm pumping. Hard to control and pretty wonky on the inputs. Above 5 it is most always at the edge of the lines. Ya got to pay more attention. Both go on there back pretty easy with the Jewel having a slight edge and it will rotate a little smoother. Addiction flares a little better and easier to put belly down nose forward or away. Flic Flac attempts easier on the Jewel.Both do a rising turtle well but the Jewel is harder to keep from flipping plus I can't do the trick very well yet. Still pretty limited on my skill set and seem to have about the same amount of LE snags on all my kites but the Pro Dancer. I can see things better with that kite as things are slower. Bummer about the Jewel is that when replacement time comes there won't be any. Both kites are  a lot more trick capable and durable then their price would suggest. Wind of Change has a great review on the Jewel and with my limited knowledge I concur. Read more negative things about the Addiction than positive and disagree. It's not twitchy.It's precise. It's taken the most abuse and hasn't broke yet. One of the most valuable lessons I've learned is to understand what the kite was designed to do and adjust my [ such as it is ] flying to it. The kite will never adjust to me. An OG on GWTW  said one of his biggest newbie regrets was spending time learning and doing mods when he should have been learning to fly better. I won't mod any of my kites in the near future and I'll learn to fly them as is. Not saying I won't cause that rabbit hole is appealing and have started down it more than once. It's going to take awhile because I'm still learning to sew but I'll build one before I mod one. Maybe. Dang rabbits. If you can get both. You won't regret it. You got a Widow ng which for me is my most rewarding kite.Tricking is easier to learn on the Jewel and totally kicks the Grand kids Visions butt. But for something completely different the Addiction is just a complete boggle. Wow maybe I can go back to sleep now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice job describing how they fly.

Interesting about the Addiction being precise and not twitchy.

It appears that the jewel is less expensive than the Addiction.

Sounds like you enjoy flying the Addiction more than the Jewel.

At my skill level I would chose the Jewel over the Addiction if I could only have one. The price difference is pretty minimal unless your really on a tight budget. My opinion would be get the Addiction because it is so different than the Widow ng. More enjoyable than the Jewel? Nope but more exciting yup. On some days that's not always a good thing :)

• Like 1