KiteLife Forum

Elementary Complimentary

riffclown

aka "Snowed In, I'll make a Kite!!" After having so much fun with @Polo's colorizer I decided to play with complimentary colors so I started a new sail today. Had some Blue and Orange from a Flymarket blowout sometime back. I'm researching for my Fractal design that's been in my head for over a year now... As of this post it's all double-sided Sewing Tape holding it in place. Now to make the LE Sleeve and start sewing.. Plans are for this to be a 1.5 sized sail.

Kept it fairly symmetrical for this venture20180106_095738c.jpg.

I guess technically this should be consider FS#12. Given the lazy Harlequin pattern, I think I'll call it "The Jester!"

The Fractal Concept DrawingFractal1.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Breezin said:

Guy across the road comes across my front yard to land his plane. 240' lines might scare the hell out of him :devil:. Might think it's my  pet Condor and call animal control. I gotta a few birds. Jester the Contester. I like that.

I'm not even going to ask..

Finished The LE Sleeve this morning.. I still need to figure out how I want the center section to look. I may just allow the overlap. The two overlapped colors, when backlit by the sun, provide some very interesting color interactions.. Thoughts??

Once I figure that out, I can start hemming and finishing. Hope to have this framed and bridled by tonight..

20180107_090141.jpg

20180107_091427.jpg

• Like 5

OK Decided to just go with the overlap. Edge Binding is done. Ready to attach to the LE now. How much camber do I want in this kites leading edge? I''m thinking about an inch of Camber on this one.. just a little float but enough to keep the tension in the belly.

• Like 1

Almost every kite is more efficient and a quad-line backs up better (knifing thru the air) with edge binding,... now that you know that, there's a way to do it better still.  Two rows of parallel stitches closer together is better than a single triple step zig-zag.  

The edge binding is easier to work with if it is cut-out on the diagonal.  

Make the strip 4 times wider than the ribbon desired upon completion. Fold it in half and drag it across the edge of piece of glass (or other hard surface) to score it.  Then fold in each edge towards the middle and score again.

It is WAY easier to edge-bind a straight line when compared to a curved surface.

You're actually after hard ribbon 4 thicknesses in width to cut thru the streaming airflow, either smoothing it out as you pass by in Forward Flight or knifing your way past in Reverse.

So I arrive home around 7 dark 30 & a box is on the back porch table.  It is in perfect condition as if the sender has just handed it to me.  Thank you USPS, gentle care the whole way.  I sit in the den & carefully use my Swiss Army Knife to open the parcel. With the wide eyes of a child on Christmas morning I behold it's gleaming beauty.  I assemble the kite & place it in view in front of the bay window. 

Logging in to KiteLife I see The Maker is in Chat.  Excerpt from Chat.  I was full of glee at the wonder of The Jester.  SHBKF

Jester in the house
WOW
riffclown (Mod) 7:54pm
riffclown (Mod):
1f600.png
Newest crispiest kite I have ever seen!
It is a beauty!
riffclown (Mod) 7:54pm
riffclown (Mod):
awesome.. PLEASe respond to the Jester thread with your honest impressions..
New favorite quad
riffclown (Mod) 7:55pm
riffclown (Mod):
BTW, I've been very busy since we chatted before
I just arrived home
riffclown (Mod) 7:55pm
riffclown (Mod):
Your killin' me
Love these kites
Your innovation is superb
The triangles are so much better than washers
much smoother look
riffclown (Mod) 7:58pm
riffclown (Mod):
Thank you..
riffclown (Mod) 7:58pm
riffclown (Mod):
That was the most work I'd ever put in a kite up until that time..
Your skill is leaping forward now
riffclown (Mod) 7:59pm
riffclown (Mod):
While I will go back and finish some of the tails kites, I don't need that particular crutch any more.
riffclown (Mod) 7:59pm
riffclown (Mod):
What did your wife think of the Jester?
She just saw it
She said WOW who made it, what women?
riffclown (Mod) 8:00pm
riffclown (Mod):
lol
She says "He did good, it couldn't be a man."
riffclown (Mod) 8:01pm
riffclown (Mod):
Tell your wife, "guys can sew." Quote from Terry Murray
riffclown (Mod) 8:02pm
riffclown (Mod):
Well I hope you enjoy it to its fullest..
She says she knows it is hard to sew nylon
We wil
riffclown (Mod) 8:02pm
riffclown (Mod):
brb
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@SHBKF  My Friend, Thank you for the words. I asked for your honest opinion and your response is the frank conversation. I'm honored and humbled that you enjoy my handiwork.  As I said yesterday, please enjoy that kite to its fullest and make sure it gets flown.. Kites deserve the sky.

• Like 2