KiteLife Forum

Well, that was a bust.

Justin2kites

I went to check out that new flying spot yesterday, the school on the plain. It was locked up like Fort Knox. Drove around that area for a while looking for something else, but couldn't find anything. Bummer! The search continues. Had my friend with me that is still waiting to take his first flight, so he was bummed too. Oh well, I'll find a spot eventually. But this was another weekend with no flying.-_-

I'd call your community center for tourism, tell them you're needing an open area to fly a kite, either indoors or outside.  What do they recommend?  Whom shall you call if they can't help out?  Ask the Sheriff's office or the fire department?  There's a park or parking lot, something in Houston you can use!

Ask how you can get in touch with a local scout troop to build some kites, or a farmer to use part of his fields.

butter-up some noses and make friends at the elementary schools in your area

Volunteer in the senior citizen community, but always reminding folks of your one true objective.  You want your OWN flying spot just for kiters!!!!!

form a kite club, advertise that you are seeking a location worthy of kites and kids in the local environment

9 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

I'd call your community center for tourism, tell them you're needing an open area to fly a kite, either indoors or outside.  What do they recommend?  Whom shall you call if they can't help out?  Ask the Sheriff's office or the fire department?  There's a park or parking lot, something in Houston you can use!

Ask how you can get in touch with a local scout troop to build some kites, or a farmer to use part of his fields.

butter-up some noses and make friends at the elementary schools in your area

Volunteer in the senior citizen community, but always reminding folks of your one true objective.  You want your OWN flying spot just for kiters!!!!!

form a kite club, advertise that you are seeking a location worthy of kites and kids in the local environment

Thanks for the ideas. I will keep that stuff in mind. I think I will find a place soon enough, I do have some feelers out in the community. I am already friendly with the local school and police. They let me fly my rc's at the the local school, but unfortunately it's not a good location for kites, it's surrounded by trees. The place I was checking out was a couple towns over. There are places around if you drive a while, I'm trying to find something closer where I can get some quick flights in when I don't have time to drive somewhere. 

1 hour ago, makatakam said:

Head for the coast. It may be a bit further to travel, but some time flying is better than none at all.

I do. I go to Galveston as much as I can, but it's pretty far. I have to make a whole day of it to make it worth the trip. It's definitely worth it when I can, though. I love flying on the beach!B)

Just so you know,... surrounded by trees will be frustrating (in the beginning), but a complete mastery of your kite flying craft will be impossible without conquest of this obstacle.

Sport kites are ALWAYS placed in the least desirable location at any kite festival.  Why?, because they can handle this level of abuse better than the SLK folks, that's why!!! 

Indoors is just "surrounded by trees" without the swirls (unless the AC is on or the doors are open.  You can't generally fly on lines longer than 30 feet indoors.

your undesirable location can hone your flying skills faster than nice smooth beach wind ever will, (that only spoils you for inland flight).

I feel your pain, ..... mine is about finding an indoor location where they trust me enough to give me keys & alarm codes (like Wayne out West!!!!)

• Like 2

And flew twice this week already!!! But Paul is correct - obstacles in the wind path create tough conditions, that if worked, can lead to great flying. It is work though. Light wind or indoor, both require a certain touch, delicate but firm, smooth not jerky. You learn to work with the wind and not fight it. Become a master of light/no winds - you'll be flying while others are sitting and watching! 

• Like 2

I've tried a couple times. I could fly, but it was a lot of work just to keep the kite up. It's weird, even though it's very windy, there's hardly any pull on the lines and the kite doesn't want to stay up. This was with my Quantum and Hypnotist too, so not the lightest of kites. Next time I get a chance to go over there I may try with a different kite. Is a smaller or bigger wing better in those conditions?

Be sure to adjust the bridle for varying wind conditions.   If the kite has problems flying, move the bridle up which should nose it forward.   It's a common mistake for people not to touch the bridle and adjust it for wind conditions.   Also bridle adjustments help make the kite more suitable to your flying style.

Define - "very windy". Those kites work best in 5-6 mph on up, maybe more depending on pilot skill. What line weight and length are you using? You can use too heavy a line and bog things down, even though it "feels" like more wind. Look at things to see - did the lines sag up to the kite? Just because a certain line  came with the kite doesn't mean it works in every occasion. 

I hope this doesn't come off too harshly, I went through much the same in my early flying years. Wrong kite or wrong lines for conditions frustrated me many times. Over about a 3 year period, I started putting it together, using the correct sail and/or line set in the appropriate winds. Ended up with 3 kites and 3 line sets - a Prism Ozone for light wind using 50#x50' lines, a Flexifoil Stranger using 150#X60' lines, and a Prism Alien on 90#x60' lines. Tendency back in the late '80s to '90s was short lines, especially at fests to accommodate more fliers on the beach. Now somewhat longer lines are the norm - 80-100'.

I encourage you to try different adjustments, different weight lines, just experiment with trying different combos of equipment, to find  what works best for you.

IMHO YMMV