KiteLife Forum

Quad spar weights @ 31” length

John Barresi

Just weighing spars this morning, thought you all might enjoy the data... Bear in mind, Rev rods tend to have a lot more variance from spar to spar (hand wrapped) and I didn’t weigh multiples of the same so this should serve as a flexible reference only.

Note: “NEW” indicates the latest model spars with green stripes on either side of the label, the other references indicate silver (semi-recent) or gold (original) labels.

Diamond OG 10.07 gr

Diamond NEW 10.07 gr

Black Race OG 11.93 gr

Black Race NEW 12.00 gr

2 wrap OLD gold (no data)

2 wrap OLD silver (no data)

2 wrap NEW 10.74 gr

3 wrap OLD gold 15.96 gr

3 wrap OLD silver 18.67

3 wrap NEW 12.73 gr

4 wrap OLD gold (no data)

4 wrap OLD gold (no data)

4 wrap NEW (no data)

SPL white coat 14.38 gr

2P Skyshark 7.97 gr

P90 Skyshark 10.34 gr

P100 Skyshark 13.11 gr

P200 Skyshark 15.20 gr

P300 Skyshark 16.69 gr

P400 Skyshark 17.41 gr

Dynamic D8 12.92 gr

Dynamic D12 13.06 gr

Dynamic D15 16.01 gr

Dynamic D18 18.38 gr

• Like 1

Note, weight is only one factor... When selecting quad spars for me and my team, we look at:

1 - stiffness, actual resistance to bending

2 - recoil, spar memory / back to straight

3 - resilience, resistance to flexed breakage

4 - weight

if I had to prioritize, I’d lean toward factors 1 and 2, weight isn’t as big a factor if (a) the kite is designed well and (b) it’s tuned correctly... A good “engine” can move a lot of weight.

• Like 1

Very interesting information - wondering if anyone has set standards for measuring the other 3 factors mentioned?  In principle, stiffness could probably be quantified by cantilevering the rod, hanging a standardized weight from the end, and then measuring deflection.  Not sure how to measure recoil, but I inadvertently tested my diamond frame for resilience a few weeks ago.  Unfortunately, that was a destructive test:angry:

• Like 2

I'm pretty much in JB's corner here - I'm not so worried about weight as I am kite. To me it is all about what produces the "feel" that I like, not hung up on the weight. My Zen is a veritable tank, weighing in very hefty. My SUL feels like a feather - guess which I want to fly more? The Zen has a bunch more sail area and the frame I'm using is very efficient in using wind.

Gimme the feels!!!

• Like 2

The recoil (spring) factor is one that NONE of the manufacturers I’ve spoken with seem to be able to translate on a technical end - Rev’s original diamond and race rods for example, are among the best in this category but I can’t seem to find (or request) it elsewhere.

To that end however, we’ve been prototyping the Djinn on nothing but P100-P400 and the new Sync bridle doesn’t require the same sort of recoil (different loading / support) so it’s almost moot for me now, to a point.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Now that I have a few extraneous diamond rods laying around, I may try to work up some kind of recoil test using them (won't hurt my feelings if they snap).  Seems like a rotary encoder and lever arm might be able to measure recoil - just need to make sure the data acquisition is fast enough to capture the spring back.   Hmmmmmmm....

Glad to hear you are using SkyShark on the Djinn - that's where my money is going these days too. 

Looking forward to the first order of Djinn's:wub:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/27/2018 at 4:21 PM, John Barresi said:

Note, weight is only one factor... When selecting quad spars for me and my team, we look at:

1 - stiffness, actual resistance to bending

2 - recoil, spar memory / back to straight

3 - resilience, resistance to flexed breakage

4 - weight

if I had to prioritize, I’d lean toward factors 1 and 2, weight isn’t as big a factor if (a) the kite is designed well and (b) it’s tuned correctly... A good “engine” can move a lot of weight.

so very true ... I built a yellow Vickie out of 4oz ripstop and had someone actually tell me ... well, the kite is going to be too heavy for the wind and I told him "is weight really a factor when you're out flying this kite in 25mph winds??" we both laughed.

• Like 1