KiteLife Forum

Jest Checkmate

riffclown

Not sure if I'm crazy or not but thinking about the next build (and assuming I finish "Jest Checking In")

Different "2 point perspective" and less decision for the center but a lot more panels to deal with.. It may never be built but it will be explored..

This might be my Spring project so I can lay it out flat and literally lose my mind making it.. 100+ panels.. too extreme???  Thoughts???

JestCheckMate.jpg

• Like 2

The design has a sense of movement while sitting still. Make 3 in different colors. Get every stitch as close to perfect as you can. When you finish and find your mind again you can compete anywhere.That's only 763000 stitches or there about to fret over. As long as you make it back a LITTLE crazy never hurt anyone. Ya got the IT factor Riff so keep pushing. It's cool to watch.

@Breezin  Three colors would require some additional piecework I'm not willing to do quite yet.. Maybe in the future but I want this perspective thing to complete..

As for competing, there's a personal reason I do not compete.. No real interest there.. I just enjoy the hobby.

Next time I buy materials though I'm thinking Black, White and Gray to give me some really cool options with 3 colors..

I looked at it and I like it. Here's a couple I designed but never got around to building. Use them as you wish. If nothing else, they may give you a few ideas. I have many more designs I made. If you're interested I can e-mail them to you.

k1.png

k2.png

• Like 3

16 hours ago, riffclown said:

Stack,  yes probably . Progressive stack, not sure yet...

I vote progressive. Imagine this -- smaller panels on the smaller kite, larger on the larger. Things look smaller further away, right? That should be an interesting visual effect -- like reverse perspective.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, riffclown said:

Still thinking progressive isn't happening..The 100 panel on the drawing was a bit too fine in the practical detail.. Actual results were 70 panels..

Remember the ones you made using tails? You can sew long strips together into a sheet, alternating colors, and cut them into strips across the colors creating 10 to 20 strips that you then sew together to make the sail.

4 hours ago, makatakam said:

Remember the ones you made using tails? You can sew long strips together into a sheet, alternating colors, and cut them into strips across the colors creating 10 to 20 strips that you then sew together to make the sail.

Can and will are two entirely different chains of thought. possible to do very extensive piecing but boyond a certain point you've impacted performance by adding weight. (thread, basting materials and simply doubling fabric layers.)

Panel count increases feel and touch but also adds weight.

Let me put it this way. IF I go progressive, it will be progressively vented, not progressively sized. I' ll make a 100 panel sail at some point but the sweet spot seems to be closer to half of that.