KiteLife Forum

Calling using group chat via phones.

SparkieRob

Been thinking about this for a while. Rather than buy and modify a radio/s I thought it may be easier to use the functionality that is in most smart phones. Pretty much everyone carries one on them and usually the earphones with them. It does raise a couple of issues over a master/slave radio system.

Call waiting while on the field...

Each team member being a Tx.

The overlay of music during the calling.

Maybe this could be overcome with an app developed by a kite flyer to meet specific needs. Even using the Bluetooth rather than cellular network.

Thoughts?

Sent from a Galaxy 8 Far Far Down Under.

I get what you want to do - just not sure it will get there. Yes you buy a walkie talkie, but you really don't need to modify it, just make that caller's circuit. Midland seems to be the best choice, as they have separate channels/outputs/inputs for talk and receive.  I use Uniden and can't seem to get that circuit working with them. I think because both functions are on a single plug and not enough separation. Just my thought. 

A lot of us have foregone the music function in the circuit and use bluetooth speakers and our phones or Ipods. Mounted on tripods, they can be placed out in front of us for team listening. 

As a demo flier, radios are just part of my everyday flying kit anymore. At a festival I'm putting on my radio pretty early and just wear it all day. 

It will take someone that knows more than I, to go your route!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After last weekend, I've been wondering about a solution along these lines too.  I really hate wires and I'm not a fan of things hanging off my belt.  Was wondering about a hybrid approach - either using the phone/wireless headset to connect to a radio or maybe just a wireless headset to the radio?  Pryme makes Bluetooth solutions that let Bluetooth headsets connect to Motorola radios, but I haven't been able to find a solution like that for Midland radios.  

Has anyone else found something along these lines that works?

That's actually what Pryme specializes in - Bluetooth adapters for Motorola and Bofang radios.  Unfortunately, they don't seem to support Midland.

I'm finding some interesting info on headset/cell/music integration for motorcyclists.  A company called Sena sells units that use some sort of long-range Bluetooth - with a battery life supporting 12 hours of talk time.  The only downside is they are pricey.  

You can use Motorola radios, I use Uniden. But the majority are on Midlands.  We only use the main channels, no privacy ones. Too many radios have ever so slightly different frequencies, that we don't use them. The low power channels are open to use, but expect some traffic on #9 - emergency channel. I think it is 7 - 14 open, all the rest you're supposed to be licensed.

You are more than welcome to try it, at least on the line. But be ready to ditch it if it causes issues. Still need to hang that radio off your belt or put it in a pocket, the Bluetooth range is only about 30' max (at least that's what is advertised). Can't leave it in the truck or car! 

And be aware - you can't have an open broadcast circuit if not calling! The way these circuits work is to "lock" the leader's into transmit only. 2 on transmit will lead to squeal and feedback for everyone else on the line! Even one on the VOX setting will feedback if the leader has their circuit open. So only the lead is "open", all the rest are listening. Again not sure how the Bluetooth circuit would be compatible ....?

YMMV!