KiteLife Forum

Night Flight Kite w/ Lights

riffclown

So I've run into a couple of delays before I can go further on this kite.. The Skyshark P8x I chose for stiffness are quite a bit larger than normal rods so I have to get different endcaps.. Either internal or larger than the norm.. I also need to order additional materials anyway so putting of finishing this kite until I can get a shipment in. It will stil get done but might be a bit bfore the next update on this sail..

(I've got a lot of sewing to complete anyway on the other projects..)

• Like 1

Edge binding is done on ends and the dacron reinforcement patches are all in place.  I drilled out two end caps to accommodate the P8x LE and will use P400 for the verticals (no special caps needed for those)   The Verticals will also have to be 2 piece to meet the 36-1/4" requirement. Using a full length tube and a 4-ish inch extension with tube ferrules. Extension portion will be wrapped and padded to help with the wear points..   LE is P8x with solid Ferules.

I need to edge bind the trailing edge and frame it up.  I'm completely out of 1" orange and 2" yellow & 2" Lime now.  Trailing edge will likely be blue (because that's what I have left at the moment).  Bridling is going to be an adventure.. I've not bridled one this big before and it's all new ground. I may go with Orange and Yellow Muzzy extreme. Just to match the overall look of the kite.  I really want to get this kite finished and flying.. Once I get it completed, I'll share some of the design details I added to support everything..

• Slits in the light sleeve
  • holes for LED to show through
  • velcro pocket for electronics
  • very slight camber to keep slight tension on the sail
  • LE won't have my normal reinforcements due to it not being the stand materials but the Verticals WILL be reinforced

more to come as progress happens..

• Like 1

Good News and Bad news.. I took it out on the field today for maiden flight.. It flew well, it hovered, it hovered inverted well it steered well.. I decided to do a dive stop it stopped about 20 inches above the ground as planned and the Leading edge snapped right in the middle.. Upon inspection the Skyshark 8P split the full 2 inches the ferrule covered.. I may need to either redo this with an SLE rod or consider  a much stronger section in the center stress point.. I may have exceeded the practical wingspan of the design.. (also possible I had a weak spar. It was a second and I may have expected too much from this particular piece..) Given that thought I'll probably re-spar and give it another try before giving up..

Also discovered I need stronger velcro to hold the electronics in the pocket. They started flapping free way too easily..

Is that a 4-piece leading edge tube? The middle of the kite is probably the highest stress point on the entire kite, so if there's a joint there you will need to reinforce it a lot. The ferrule needs to be both longer to distribute the load over a larger area and stronger to handle any sudden increases in the load. A 9" solid fiberglass internal would probably do the trick. I would also wrap the tubes for about 2" out from the joint to minimize movement and the possibility of splitting. Other option is to relocate all the ferrules to places of less stress.

4 piece yes but with 3 splits not just the center was over-stressed.. This was a systemic issue.. the ferrules are solid.. no damage there.. the walls of the spars took the shock and split.. Will either redesign or move to SLE leading edge.  Unfortunately, that approach will require resewing the LE sleeve since I make them pretty tight.. Researching options.

Should I give it one more solid try with 8P or commit to a LE Sleeve change and SLE?

If I commit to another 8P test, the middle section will be offset to center an 8P spar. Will be a 5 piece LE but I do have 2 8P spars to trim at this point anyway..

Thoughts??? 

@Paul LaMasters  I agree.. But since I don't have those materials handy I'm looking at doubling up the LE by zippering out the LE Sleeve and offsetting the ferrules.. If that fails I'll remake the Sleeve to accommodate a SLE rod.

@whtmtn An odd number puts a spar in the middle.. an even number puts a ferruled joint in the center.. The Ferruled Joint is what failed on my first venture..

What led's did you use? Have you considered RC Airplane led strips?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-high-density-r-c-led-flexible-strip-red-1mtr.html

These work with 2s or 3s lipo batteries.. This is the smallest 2s pack I could find:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-300mah-2s-45-90c-lipo-pack.html

Maybe these led's can be sticked to a regular kite adding about 30 grams of weight.

Thi kite has now been modified to accept BOTH a SLE AND 8P Leading edge.. Yes it's heavier but so is the kite..Going full tilt for Strength now..  Besides, I have nothing else to use the SLE for anyway.. I don't grow tomatoes.. After testing the original LE Sleeve will be removed completely and new reinforcements will be installed.

20180301_153723.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, riffclown said:

Success!!!  Despite the bus like dimensions, this thing flies and exhibited pretty decentlow wind capability.. Video from Whalehead when I return home.

You are describing a SuperBlast 2-4, or at least my first impression of one. Can't wait to see the video.