KiteLife Forum

Panel Assembly Time Lapse

riffclown

• 3 months later...

That is amazing time and dedication. I started on the floor, always said I would get a table. As of today, I still don't have a proper table but my current setup works. I went to Walmart and bought one of those foldable portable tables and then I put a 8x4 foot plywood board on it. You're back will thank you! Since I mostly build quads, I painted the template right on the plywood board ... this is an old picture, things have changed slightly.

13934698_1584018668561672_1311716681549555501_n.jpg

• Like 1

I've been considering a table BUT I have very limited space and nowhere to store the table when not in use..  I don't typically use a template as every kite I make is different.. While the construction techniques are quite similar My diamonds are quite different from kite to kite. The original Jester kite 20180107_090141.jpgwas built using the edges you favor but with much larger panels for simplicity.. Diamonds20180224_200337.jpg was my change from the horizontal diamond check to the vertical..

I love the look of many (read all) of your kites and the piecework is absolutely spot on..  I have a couple of pretty wild concepts in my head for the technique as well. All of these are the same process just different angles for the piecework.

CrazyQuilt.jpg

RWB-Diamonds.jpg

Mockup6.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, riffclown said:

I've been considering a table BUT I have very limited space and nowhere to store the table when not in use..  I don't typically use a template as every kite I make is different.. While the construction techniques are quite similar My diamonds are quite different from kite to kite. The original Jester kite 20180107_090141.jpgwas built using the edges you favor but with much larger panels for simplicity.. Diamonds20180224_200337.jpg was my change from the horizontal diamond check to the vertical..

I love the look of many (read all) of your kites and the piecework is absolutely spot on..  I have a couple of pretty wild concepts in my head for the technique as well. All of these are the same process just different angles for the piecework.

CrazyQuilt.jpg

RWB-Diamonds.jpg

Mockup6.jpg

That last one is insane, you are  mad man riff!

• Thanks 1

@makatakam As I shared with you before, I don't have a shortage of ideas. I'd much rather build mine.. You should build yours.. As a graphics guy,  I can design just about anything. For me personally, it's all about my vision and making it reality. Ideas are the Easy part.

I've got well over 100 mock-ups in my head or on my computer that may never even see the light of day due to the complexity of the designs.

7 hours ago, riffclown said:

@makatakam As I shared with you before, I don't have a shortage of ideas. I'd much rather build mine.. You should build yours.. As a graphics guy,  I can design just about anything. For me personally, it's all about my vision and making it reality. Ideas are the Easy part.

I've got well over 100 mock-ups in my head or on my computer that may never even see the light of day due to the complexity of the designs.

Yup, same with me. Lots of designs on the computer. Unfortunately, I'll never have the chance to build them. Just want to make some available to anyone who wants them. I don't want anything in exchange. I've actually deleted more than half of what I had originally. You know how you look at something like a year later and say "'What the hell was I thinking?". I've dumped a bunch of those, and a bunch that would be impractical to build.