KiteLife Forum

50# line

Breezin

Yesterday winds were 15 to 20 mph with gusts a little higher at times. First time I flew the Micron on 50' x 50# in that high of winds. Crashed around 20 mph. Lower spreader popped out on one side and kite relaunched. Kite started spinning and snarled the lines like never before. Got one line untangled. While working on the other I was laying on my side trying to enjoy myself. Wife came home from work and freaked out. Thought I was dead or dying. Then I got my butt chewed. Sigh. At least she cares. Started noticing how much damage my finger nails were doing and quit.Plus I really wasn't enjoying myself as much as I was trying to. Read that folks are having good results flying SULs with 20 to 50 lb Spider wire stealth. Got some this morning and it sure feels slicker then the 50# I have. Lines have been beat up though. Flown  the Micron, Zephyr and Pro Dancer on 50' x 50# and didn't like it. Going to make a 110' set and a 65' set.See how it goes. For $10.00 might as well try. 

• Like 1

I'll be interested to hear your impression flying the little zoomer on longer lines.  I tried some 50# x 70' & had quite a bit of line sag.  The kite had a bit of delayed reaction when the inputs had to deal with the bow in the lines.  I still prefer the 50' length.  I have not tried the kite on a short set but I should just to see if I can keep up with it.  When the Micron really gets loaded up it will kind of shudder & squirt across the sky as the frame flexes then unloads.  I usually fly off to the side & land in those conditions.

I suppose it goes without saying to be extra careful with Spider Wire.  I would not try it if anyone else is in the vicinity. I have used it on a Prism Zero G glider in no wind conditions.  It is hard to even see the line it if it gets away from you.  The advantage with that kite is the line is so light that it does not affect the flight of the kite as much as a heavier line would from it's weight alone.  A heavier line will cause it to veer off it's glide more quickly.

DSC07648.JPG

• Like 1

Flew the zephyr and PD on 100' 90# set. Winds went down to 0 to 3. Made a 114' x 50# set of Spiderwire and flew the PD for a bit. Really felt different. Wasn't up long and the winds picked back up. Got paranoid and quit. Will have to fly longer to have a better impression. Temps stayed in the 20's and when the cloud cover came I about froze. Still chilled but the Brownies are helping :D. The lines are dark green and they silhouette  really well. On the ground they're hard to see. Iv'e flown the Micron in 15 to 25 on 100' 150# and 90#. I felt the kite pulled the lines really well. Flew the Jewel in 5 to 10  mph yesterday on 150# 80' and it dragged a bit. Had 3 kites out and to lazy to get out the Jewels  80# set. Shudder is a lot worse on the 50#. I'll blame the crash that snarled up my lines so bad on the squirt LOL. Now I only fly the Micron and 1.4 foil when winds are going over 15 unless I have company. Pretty sure I'm going to like the Micron on the long set. I'll have to put the tail on so I can see  it. Jon T said the PD works well 65' x 50# in 0 to 4 so I'll finish that set tomorrow. Note to self dress more appropriately. In 6 months I'll be whining about the 95 degree temps  longing for these winter days sipping beer instead of guzzling water.   

I got to say I love 50# line with my SUL duel line Kites. I have 50’ 60’ 80’ and 100’ sets. Almost every time I fly the PDSUL it’s with the 100’ 50# lines. Very little drag with a large wind window. I enjoy the 50 and 60 footers practicing tricks with either the UL Solus or the SUL ATM. The walk of shame is much easier at 50’ vs 100’ and it’s much easier to see wraps on a wing and untangle it to ground launch without walking. Maybe I need a set of 30’ lines hmm . I already know I’m making a set of 7’ lines for the new kaiju. Can’t wait to try that kite out.

Sent from my IPhone

• Like 1

Didn't  feel comfortable with my skill set on 50' with the PDSUL or Zephyr. The size of the Solus would at this point be very intimidating on short lines. Hopefully that will change. Can see the advantage of practicing closer to the kite. 

That's the pros and cons in a nutshell. Short lines fit in more places, but reaction  time decreases dramatically. And you can really see how the kite reacts to inputs, see wing tip wraps, etc. Long lines give a bigger canvas to paint on, more reaction time (if you see things going south soon enough), etc. Both have advantages and disadvantages. ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Flew the PDSUL in 0 to 4 on the 114' x 50# yesterday for about 45 minutes. Just flying around I liked the feel and distance. PD is not a trickster but with the light lines only caught 2 axles. Once in the fade, turtle or pancake I couldn't pull out and had to go to the ground. Stalls and slides were nice though. Went back to the 90# and much happier.  114' will be great on the micron above 15 mph. Thinking about cutting to 100' and adding different coins on the tail. Might help getting out of the turtle. Tried the 65' today. Wind was 2 to 3 from the south. Got maybe 20' off the ground and a gust came from the west and drove the kite into the ground before I could react. The way the wind hit the kite it took all the tension out of the lines and then snapped it back in. Happened so fast not sure if I could have done anything. Left standoff popped out of TE and went thru the sail about 1/2" from the  standoffs hole. Been worried about that since I got the kite. Has to be a better way to secure standoff in the TE.2 punctures and 1 tear in 3 days on 3 different kites:kid_cussing:. Getting good at the repairs though.Got lucky on the PDSUL and Zephyr. No cords cut and from a foot away hard to see. On the PD  the spot looks like a bit of dirt  1/2 the size of a fine point pens nib. So far I suck on short 50# lines.