KiteLife Forum

Owners group, tips...

John Barresi

For a little newbie homework, here’s an indoor flight pattern to learn and repeat (can also be modified to suit quad):

1 - launch to up and over, land.
2 - launch to 360, land.
3 - launch, left spin, land.
4 - launch, right spin, land.
5 - launch, pancake land.
6 - fade to catch.

The key is at each landing:

1 - do a long 3 count.
2 - clear your mind and posture.
3 - go directly into the next segment.

Repeat the series until it becomes familiar and more seamless, and this will start to lay the groundwork for “holding patterns” or things that you can do semi-automatically and quite comfortably without falling into survival mode.

And also understand, it might, may, it should take you 30-50 attempts to get through the whole series without a reset but it will solidify and improve your overall comfortability indoors, giving you a natural “vocabulary” - then add more components as you grow. ;)

• Like 2

If you haven't looked, there is some solid gold information regarding RADIUS, STEP and STRIDE in this tutorial, topics we've never seen covered anywhere else except in one-on-one discussion, we strongly encourage you to check it out if you haven't already.

https://www.facebook.com/kiteforge/posts/361675367642329

• Thanks 1

Another tip for those who often get dizzy, set a conceptual north / south / east / west definition of your flying space, establish “four directions” of the area and feel your face / kite pass each of them no matter what you’re doing, work on placing your landings at the four “compass points”, this all plays into taking control of the space and building physical balance by conceptualizing the space. ;)

• Like 3

As I spent my first hour with the Kaiju outside in the evening calm I worked on mostly up & over.  Pretty shaky at first getting used to the seven foot lines.  Was surprised I could easily launch the kite suddenly enough to achieve shuddering as the kite got just past face level.  That was a sign for me to slow a bit so I could develop the move until I was smoother.  I also initially lost good form as the kite peaked because I did not have my arms extended properly ready to sweep the kite over my position.  It is almost like you are slinging it past your position. The move required me to keep focusing on steady pressure while turning around & stepping back smoothly.  Essentially I had to get myself in position to continue downward flight into a dive while keeping consistent sail pressure.  At first my turns on the other side were failing because the kite lost sail pressure & would not turn, just stall & float.  I was not stepping back.  I must admit that things were happening so quickly that I was almost a bit panicky, over-driving & over-steering the light kite.  Once I started to get it the magic began.  Up, over, turn & land.  I find it nearly as hard to describe as it is to execute.  Kind of reminded me of my first attempts to fly those touchy quad sportwings.....But for a flailer like me it should be a bit easier.   SHBKF 

• Like 2

Sound alike you’re reasoning it out really well! Rinse, repeat, it’ll get to a point where it’s nearly effortless to do an up and over to landing, economy of motion, smooth line tension... The other is to “link” your launch and the turn for the landing mentally: 1... 2. 1... 2. 1... 2. Most folks do 1... Oh yeah, 2! The weight of your body will already be feigning toward the next movement as you launch, although not quite executing until you’ve passed the apex. :)

• Thanks 1