KiteLife Forum

Attaching Line to Swivel Hook

Twin Roses

Yet another newbie question.  Took the DLK out for the first time today and our family had a blast.  Also took an older single parafoil out, but I need to attach a swivel hook to a new line.  I'm thinking that a larkshead knot is the way to go, but is there a preferred way of making the permanent loop in the line so that I could go ahead and attach the swivel with a larkshead?  Should I just make a loop a few inches long using a plain old overhand knot?I watched some videos on tying a fishing line onto a swivel, but those didn't use a larkshead at all. Or am I going about this the wrong way? Thanks in advance:)

37 minutes ago, Twin Roses said:

I watched some videos on tying a fishing line onto a swivel, but those didn't use a larkshead at all.

I believe that is the best way to attach the swivel.  You could also do a Prusik Knot/double fisherman's knot.

47 minutes ago, Twin Roses said:

Should I just make a loop a few inches long using a plain old overhand knot?

I use a double overhand knot. I like it better than two overhand knots. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Kansas Flier said:

I believe that is the best way to attach the swivel.  You could also do a Prusik Knot/double fisherman's knot.

I use a double overhand knot. I like it better than two overhand knots. 

Much appreciated K. F. :)

I just looked up how to do a figure eight knot.  Thanks gentlemen!  You'd think with my mad crochet skills I'd know that knot already;)  My husband teases me that I must have been a cat in a former life, as all my hobbies seem to involve string, from crocheting to teaching archery and making my own bow strings.  So it's only natural that kites have been added to the fun!

• Like 2