KiteLife Forum

Beginner Dual Line Delta?

Twin Roses

Have only flown SLK casually with my family here and there for years, always filled with smiles.  Purchased a beginner dual line parafoil and gave it a try today.  Had a blast.  Looking to purchase a dual line delta and have seen lots of talk here for Beetles and Prism Jazz (I like that this has a wider wind range), trying to stay in their price range.  Insights over which one (or something else) to go for?  Background info, flying on Long Island with my hubby and I sharing with our 13 year old kids (durability a plus!).  Thanks!

Set a budget first. This will be the hardest to stick to...
A bigger wing will get slower and more forgiving but will be a handfull in more wind.
A smaller wing will be faster and more twitchy (responsive) but will need more wind to fly.
Some kites have energy dispersive features that will help with the lawn darts.

Most importantly, get a ready to fly (rtf) package so you can just buy and fly. A stake to set up and re-set up is important too. One person feature.

That being said, there is always "better" models available as second hand. Check out some tutorials on the basics. Prism, Skydog and Skyburner all make some great entry kites. Pick something that appeals to your eyes.

There's a great bloke that flies around Long Island... He'll chime as he's a regular.

Sent from a Galaxy 8 Far Far Down Under.

• Like 3

Definitely wait for Rob to chime in here. He can be more helpful than others here because he knows the local flying conditions. He can guide you to a kite you can grow into as opposed to one that will only sit and collect dust.

• Like 2

2nd on the Wayne and Makatakam advice. Your'e lucky to have Rob nearby. Having a foil to learn control is an excellent choice. Ask Rob about the Premier Wolf ng. $100.00 at Kites and Fun things. I have a Nighthawk which was replaced by the Wolf or I'd have one. K&F designed the kites and will answer all your questions. I believe one of Robs favorite kites is the Widow Maker Pro [Wolfs big bro]. I haven't got to see one yet. If you get to see one of his and watch it fly I bet your whole family will be in awe. Please post your reactions. Signed a slightly envious rookie  :).

• Like 2

Prism is a good choice, but I would recommend the Quantum or Hypnotist. I haven't heard much good about the Jazz (never flew one) and the Nexus needs a bit of wind to fly. I've flown a Nexus, it wasn't as bad as some people have claimed.

You can't go wrong with a Skyburner (Kites & Fun Things) kite, They make great kites.

One thing I would shy away from is a smaller kite. You should be looking for something with around a 7 foot wingspan, or bigger. 

You will also need something to stake the kite lines down, none of the RTF packages come with a stake, and It is a critical piece of equipment when parking the kite on the beach. A large screwdriver works for me, but there are official kite stakes available, just make sure you get a long one, if you're flying on the beach. Shorties pull out of the sand.

Hopefully we can meet up and fly, I've got lots of tips & tricks that will save you guys hours of trial and error. The Kitelife family helped me out immensely when I was starting out, but I'll tell you, I spent tons of time learning things the hard way. 

• Like 6

Trying to thank everyone here, but not being very successful in using the forum response box;)  But all your insight is much appreciated.  I am an info junkie and always eager to share any knowledge I have about subjects that I love with people who want to learn, so that's why I am truly appreciative for everyone's help:)  You guys are great.

I had no idea stakes even existed;)  A lot to learn, but looking forward to it.  Rob, I hope we can meet up.  I am really enjoying your videos and I hope you don't mind that I have shared them with some friends.  Definitely breathtaking.

Well, I am off to do some online window shopping for the kites you recommended.  Happy flying everyone!

5 hours ago, RobB said:

Prism is a good choice, but I would recommend the Quantum or Hypnotist. I haven't heard much good about the Jazz (never flew one) and the Nexus needs a bit of wind to fly. I've flown a Nexus, it wasn't as bad as some people have claimed.

You can't go wrong with a Skyburner (Kites & Fun Things) kite, They make great kites.

One thing I would shy away from is a smaller kite. You should be looking for something with around a 7 foot wingspan, or bigger. 

You will also need something to stake the kite lines down, none of the RTF packages come with a stake, and It is a critical piece of equipment when parking the kite on the beach. A large screwdriver works for me, but there are official kite stakes available, just make sure you get a long one, if you're flying on the beach. Shorties pull out of the sand.

Hopefully we can meet up and fly, I've got lots of tips & tricks that will save you guys hours of trial and error. The Kitelife family helped me out immensely when I was starting out, but I'll tell you, I spent tons of time learning things the hard way. 

• Like 3

These home made stainless steel kite stakes were made for the local clay soils.  While they are not really suitable for beach use they sometimes are used in the sand to hold an extra kite laying belly down by the kite bag.  The real problem with them being so compact is that they were hard to see at any distance.  My solution was to tie a ten inch long surplus red Valentine ribbon to each one.  You need one really good kite stake for sure.  Extras always come in handy.  SHBKF

gallery_7709_404_504204.jpg

• Like 3

Based on all of your insight, I think I've narrowed it down to either the Wolf NG or the Prism Quantum.  Both will have to wait a bit as I "fill the piggy bank" some more ;) Was hoping to keep it around the $60 mark with something like the Prism Jazz, but you guys have me convinced that spending some more will help to get the right start.

Out of those two, which would you pick? And thanks again everyone :)

• Like 1

Between those two I would just go with the design that moves you more. Definitely spend $100 or more. If your budget is tight get a used kite. There's many available on eBay, kite forums, etc. A $60 dual line kite will let you zip around the sky making squares, circles and figure-eights, and that's about it. Once you've achieved basic control with it that's all there is. Gets boring in a hurry. Left, right, up, down, circle, square, figure-eight. Repeat. You want a kite that is at least capable of basic tricks, just to keep you interested.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Twin Roses said:

I just ordered a Prism Quantum :)  So much for waiting lol.  Hey, life is short, might as well eat dessert first;)

The first kite for VERY many fliers! The design is awesome. Well-made and durable. Great to beat on, and you will.

• Like 2

Next up is some gel super glue and rip stop repair tape. Yesterday doing launch recoveries I poked a small hole in the Leading edge of my Widow ng. I know better than to practice those on my bigger kites in the pasture but hey it was a good day. The smaller lighter kites pop in the air easier and I don't drag them near as much. So knowing this  :blushing: I did the same thing today on my Prism Zephyr at about the same time as yesterdays minor issue. About 1/8 inch tear in the Mylar by the nose. Easier repair and will be less noticeable. I have LE material so I cut 2 small patches for the hole and glued them in place. Back side you have to get real close to see it. On the front I put more glue and spread it around the edges and it's more noticeable. Over time it will blend in more and will be hard to see. Sigh the pains of learning. Quantum has a great reputation for being a tough kite. If you get to fly a lot though you will fix it. The damage to my kites  these last 2 days cost about $500.00 to my ego and less then 15 cents to my wallet. If you fly the Quantum till the sail wears out you'll probably have less then $30.00 in maintaining it. Fly it, break it, fix it and repeat. Never flown a Quantum but have touched one. I think you got a great kite. Maybe we should start a pool trying to guess what your next kite will be :devil:. Have fun!!

• Like 3

Ouch Breezin!  I think I would have shed some tears, sort of like that first scratch on a new car.  I definitely appreciate the advanced warning that  these things will happen...I must prep myself mentally;)  Thanks for the repair tips, this will be a great reference for me.  I just put some clear rip stop repair tape into the good old Amazon cart, and will add some glue to it too.

Oh and by the way, as for my next kite...those Widow NG's are looking good!  The videos I've been watching of them are spectacular.  You must have a blast with yours.  

Snowed-in in NY, but hoping for better weather soon to get out and fly :)

• Like 1

Flying in the snow is a special treat ! I think I'll go after work today, it looks nice out.

I think you made a great choice for a first kite, that will certainly get you guys going. 

The next kite will be a light wind kite, I'm sure. There is nothing more frustrating than getting to the beach and not having enough wind to fly. The Quantum needs at least 5mph of wind to get off the ground, and that's not always the case when you get to the beach, especially in the summer.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RobB said:

Flying in the snow is a special treat ! I think I'll go after work today, it looks nice out.

I think you made a great choice for a first kite, that will certainly get you guys going. 

The next kite will be a light wind kite, I'm sure. There is nothing more frustrating than getting to the beach and not having enough wind to fly. The Quantum needs at least 5mph of wind to get off the ground, and that's not always the case when you get to the beach, especially in the summer.

Enjoy your flying today Rob:)  Too cold for me lol, but hope to see you at Cedar sometime soon :)

• Like 1