Amejia

EmmaKite Octopus... help!

Recommended Posts

Hi I'm a kite newbie except for an Into the Wind Delta I had years ago. I've seen the big octopus kites all over lately, and had to have one.

Now after hours of researching I realize there is very little info out there about how to attach, what kind of line, etc.

I have found videos of how to daisy chain, and the larks head knot.

I bought 150 lb line for my 49 ft octopus. It's a soft airfoil with a complicated looking bridle. Anyone out there have one? Any tips about how to attach to a line? Do I need heavier line? EmmaKites just told me.. no, we don't have instructions. Downside of ordering from China:( Any help appreciated guys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have one, but I would imagine that it's similar to other soft kites. All the bridle legs should come together at one point, that's where you would larks-head your flying line to. Just make sure all the bridle legs are straight and not tangled. That's it... once you've got that, throw it into the wind and watch it fly...

As far as line strength, I wouldn't trust the 150# in winds over 10mph. I always fly on line that is heavier than I think I need, maybe I'm over cautious. Like I said, I don't have the kite that you describe, so maybe it's not as big as it sounds and 150# would be fine. You will have to judge when you get it in the air and feel how much it pulls...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi I'm a kite newbie except for an Into the Wind Delta I had years ago. I've seen the big octopus kites all over lately, and had to have one.
Now after hours of researching I realize there is very little info out there about how to attach, what kind of line, etc.
I have found videos of how to daisy chain, and the larks head knot.
I bought 150 lb line for my 49 ft octopus. It's a soft airfoil with a complicated looking bridle. Anyone out there have one? Any tips about how to attach to a line? Do I need heavier line? EmmaKites just told me.. no, we don't have instructions. Downside of ordering from China:( Any help appreciated guys!

I have a little larger china spinoff and for the money have been quite happy with it. No, it’s not the quality or has the appearance of a $2000 kite that I would like to own but for me and the grandkids it makes us happy. Depending on the wind speed you should likely go to at least 500# or 1000 in fifteen to twenty winds. These things have amazing pull as you will find out. Good stake with a backup in high winds for safety. Pull strap to help lower quickly if something goes wrong. Check out the SLK section here for more ideas to be sure your safe. I use a larks head knot to secure line and bridle. Another trick can be a piece of cardboard inside the mouth to help hold open in certain winds. Good luck and have fun!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read somewhere that this forum was super friendly and helpful, and I can see why!! Thanks so much for the input. So by the sounds of it, under this plastic yellow wrapper should be the end point if all the bridle lines... and then I knot my flying line around it. No swivel or metal parts then?

IMG_5563.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm afraid to take it off in case I do something wrong! I have the 150 lb so will try that but likely will upgrade to heavier to be safe. I'm so excited to try this big sucker!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm afraid to take it off in case I do something wrong! I have the 150 lb so will try that but likely will upgrade to heavier to be safe. I'm so excited to try this big sucker!


Don’t take the yellow shrink wrap off. Get yourself a piece of 500# line about 18-20 inches long and tie it in a loop. Take the loop and larks head it to the loop on the ends of your bridle line so your knot on the 500# is your anchor point to attach your flying line.

You should be able to use 250# flying line in light winds and 500# for heavier wind.

Best of luck and enjoy the fun!


Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use 1000lb line on my 50' as it's a nice thickness and not so hard on my gloves, just because that is what I have.

500lb "may do it" as mentioned above. They are great lifters with good pull. I tie it to my 4 wheel drive on a grass paddock as it's easy to do.

To get enough wind to launch it, I really think you are in trouble with only 150lbs. My little 26' Occys snap the lines that come with it in any sort of breeze and needed replacement.

Yeh I put a loop "pigtail" on mine and larks head to it as they do up so tight and I didn't want a carabineer flapping around while retrieving it. (walking it down with a strap with a pulley on the end)

50' Occy

2017-06-29 14.55.44.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chook said:

I use 1000lb line on my 50' as it's a nice thickness and not so hard on my gloves, just because that is what I have.

500lb "may do it" as mentioned above. They are great lifters with good pull. I tie it to my 4 wheel drive on a grass paddock as it's easy to do.

To get enough wind to launch it, I really think you are in trouble with only 150lbs. My little 26' Occys snap the lines that come with it in any sort of breeze and needed replacement.

Yeh I put a loop "pigtail" on mine and larks head to it as they do up so tight and I didn't want a carabineer flapping around while retrieving it. (walking it down with a strap with a pulley on the end)

50' Occy

2017-06-29 14.55.44.jpg

Ha something else I wondered about.... enough wind to launch. You've confirmed it for me, the lighter line is getting returned and I'll get the heavier stuff. So much more info from you nice folks here than anywhere else online :)

And yours looks amazing flying! The bright colors was definitely a good decision 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, T in WI said:

 


Don’t take the yellow shrink wrap off. Get yourself a piece of 500# line about 18-20 inches long and tie it in a loop. Take the loop and larks head it to the loop on the ends of your bridle line so your knot on the 500# is your anchor point to attach your flying line.

You should be able to use 250# flying line in light winds and 500# for heavier wind.

Best of luck and enjoy the fun!


Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

 

Thanks T. It did look like it could be amore permanent piece, was sort of hard to tell. Instructions would have been AWESOME. I will do exactly as you suggest, sounds secure and simple enough. :) 

Thanks again!! Saving my butt over here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got an 8 meter (25 feet) Occy that I use #150 for. I wouldn't go any lower on mine. Agree with the suggestion of #500 line. Don't mess with the bridle as they are set from factory. UNLESS you have some fairly major issues with it in flight behaviour.

Octopuses look amazing in the sky.

Sent from a Galaxy 8 Far Far Down Under.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My two cents:

You are going to want to anchor this kite. Anchor the kite before you launch it. You will need to choose an anchor that is appropriate for the location.  The Gomberg website has a good article about anchors. There are several Youtube videos demonstrating different anchors.  Walk the kite up, walk the kite back down.

I would suggest your first launch be in lighter winds, 7-12 MPH. Wear gloves. Don't wrap the line around your hand. 

If the kite comes down, there is a chance the kite might self launch if the winds pick up or changes direction. 

The kite might have enough pull to lift some line laundry. 

Need to post some pics once you get it in the air.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1000 Lbs or more. strong anchor may be made from a 2 Inch galvanized pipe and grounded at 1 1/2 feet deep angled in counter of the wind. depending of locations you may use a three or if you have a towing hitch an your car. do not count on light winds, at 49 fits long the head is around 8 fits in wind with huge lift power.if the wind is low is fine but at 200-250 fits high may be a different story. use the strongest line all the time to avoid accidents even on apparently low winds and make the anchor count. after line the anchor is second important thing. last year i break a 250 lbs line with a 3 m sled and i lost the kite and 2 35' spinner tails  in Michigan lake 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeh to achor my display kites, I remove my tow bar and use the cross retaining pin to anchor my kites. Great if the wind changes direction as I can just reverse the car round.

I pass my line doubled up through the figure of eight back round it like a mountain climber would do to decend, then down to a bottom cleat. I just use the figure of eight reversed as the kite line is much smaller in diameter than dynamic climbing rope it's designed for.

6db72267bb12.jpg

The grey webbing goes into the tow hitch receiver and retained by the original pin. After setting my main lifter kite I can then send my laundry up fully controlled and tie off round the cleats to adjust them independently.   (I cant find the original web site that this setup was detailed on and I copied it from. )

The top setup is for using a tree (see the extra 2800lb webbing retained by the elastic band by the roll of 1000lb line)

IMG_0400.JPG

I can easily adjust for more height while powered up if needed with my 26mtr Occy. I use 2200lb line on her as we get pretty strong sea breezes that can catch me out if they suddenly gust through.

IMG_0212.JPG

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you can, fine someone with big kite experience in your area (or visit a festival) and do a day of big kite flying with a veteran flyer. While the big slks are awesome, they come with a bunch of safety issues for you and the public. Learning hands is the best and safest way. I love that you are going to get great advice here, but fly time in person with an experience flyer will get you knowledge that you may not even think to ask about. I have had great results with asking around for someone to fly with for what I want to learn- you may have to drive a bit to meet, but I would likely be worth it if you can swing it.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://KiteLife mobile app

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2018 at 4:13 AM, Chook said:

Yeh to achor my display kites, I remove my tow bar and use the cross retaining pin to anchor my kites. Great if the wind changes direction as I can just reverse the car round.

I pass my line doubled up through the figure of eight back round it like a mountain climber would do to decend, then down to a bottom cleat. I just use the figure of eight reversed as the kite line is much smaller in diameter than dynamic climbing rope it's designed for.

6db72267bb12.jpg

The grey webbing goes into the tow hitch receiver and retained by the original pin. After setting my main lifter kite I can then send my laundry up fully controlled and tie off round the cleats to adjust them independently.   (I cant find the original web site that this setup was detailed on and I copied it from. )

The top setup is for using a tree (see the extra 2800lb webbing retained by the elastic band by the roll of 1000lb line)

IMG_0400.JPG

I can easily adjust for more height while powered up if needed with my 26mtr Occy. I use 2200lb line on her as we get pretty strong sea breezes that can catch me out if they suddenly gust through.

IMG_0212.JPG

 

This is why I fly quad line kites. They are much simpler to use.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me too, but I sure am glad others like the big kites enough to raise them so I can enjoy them too. They are stunning to see.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://KiteLife mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2018 at 6:44 PM, SparkieRob said:

I've got an 8 meter (25 feet) Occy that I use #150 for. I wouldn't go any lower on mine. Agree with the suggestion of #500 line. Don't mess with the bridle as they are set from factory. UNLESS you have some fairly major issues with it in flight behaviour.

Octopuses look amazing in the sky.

Sent from a Galaxy 8 Far Far Down Under.
 

I ordered the 500 lb line, and will definitely stake it down on its maiden flight. Hoping to get it up this coming weekend! They do look so cool flying, it's what brought me back to kites as an adult. Seeing some of these other beauties airborne.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2018 at 7:36 PM, Kansas Flier said:

My two cents:

You are going to want to anchor this kite. Anchor the kite before you launch it. You will need to choose an anchor that is appropriate for the location.  The Gomberg website has a good article about anchors. There are several Youtube videos demonstrating different anchors.  Walk the kite up, walk the kite back down.

I would suggest your first launch be in lighter winds, 7-12 MPH. Wear gloves. Don't wrap the line around your hand. 

If the kite comes down, there is a chance the kite might self launch if the winds pick up or changes direction. 

The kite might have enough pull to lift some line laundry. 

Need to post some pics once you get it in the air.

I absolutely will take pics! And I plan to anchor for sure. I will be cautious, and don't plan to fly around large groups of people or cows anyway ha ha.. Oh and thank you for the Gomberg link! I hadn't run across their info yet, and got a winder from them as well as reading the anchor article. Appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2018 at 11:05 PM, Edmond Dragut said:

1000 Lbs or more. strong anchor may be made from a 2 Inch galvanized pipe and grounded at 1 1/2 feet deep angled in counter of the wind. depending of locations you may use a three or if you have a towing hitch an your car. do not count on light winds, at 49 fits long the head is around 8 fits in wind with huge lift power.if the wind is low is fine but at 200-250 fits high may be a different story. use the strongest line all the time to avoid accidents even on apparently low winds and make the anchor count. after line the anchor is second important thing. last year i break a 250 lbs line with a 3 m sled and i lost the kite and 2 35' spinner tails  in Michigan lake 

Oh no losing a big kite like that must be the worst feeling- watching it fly away and disappear! I'm sorry that happened to you... I did order the 500 lb line for this first flight. If it seems to need more, I'll upgrade. Thanks for the tip- I have a good rebar stake we use to anchor big tents at festivals, so I think it will work for this too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2018 at 3:13 AM, Chook said:

Yeh to achor my display kites, I remove my tow bar and use the cross retaining pin to anchor my kites. Great if the wind changes direction as I can just reverse the car round.

I pass my line doubled up through the figure of eight back round it like a mountain climber would do to decend, then down to a bottom cleat. I just use the figure of eight reversed as the kite line is much smaller in diameter than dynamic climbing rope it's designed for.

6db72267bb12.jpg

The grey webbing goes into the tow hitch receiver and retained by the original pin. After setting my main lifter kite I can then send my laundry up fully controlled and tie off round the cleats to adjust them independently.   (I cant find the original web site that this setup was detailed on and I copied it from. )

The top setup is for using a tree (see the extra 2800lb webbing retained by the elastic band by the roll of 1000lb line)

IMG_0400.JPG

I can easily adjust for more height while powered up if needed with my 26mtr Occy. I use 2200lb line on her as we get pretty strong sea breezes that can catch me out if they suddenly gust through.

IMG_0212.JPG

 

That's quite the setup Chook! Thank you so much for the detailed instructions, and letting me see the pieces of the setup.

I believe I'll take the rebar anchors I have out, plus we'll have a pickup to anchor to if need be. Your Octopus is beautiful! Looks like a real custom and well-made kite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The original website seems to no longer exist unfortunately, by Barry Ogletree. (Whatakite):(

These are the only diagrams I can find that I saved to use as a base for my setup some time ago.

Gives you some idea of the build.

a.jpgkitec.jpgkiteb.jpg

kitedw.jpgkited.jpg

kite1.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chook said:

The original website seems to no longer exist unfortunately, by Barry Ogletree. (Whatakite):(

These are the only diagrams I can find that I saved to use as a base for my setup some time ago.

Gives you some idea of the build.

kiteb.jpg

 

I've never heard them referred to as "sex bolts" before. Barrel bolt or Chicago screw, but not sex bolt. Lovin' it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wanted to thank everyone for the help and knowledge. I had an amazing kite festival out in NM... it's an annual one in Glenwood that anyone who heads that way in April should check out! I will post a link here it's always the first weekend in April. My Octo was a big hit.

IMG_5771.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not too bad, but as the wind got strong I definitely had to pay attention. Super easy to launch and was so fun to watch flying in the breeze.

IMG_5778.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Video Tutorials

  • Site Sponsors

  • Similar Content

    • By BSAggie
      Does anyone have replacement line recommendations for a Rev 1.5 SLE?
      I bought the kite about 10 years ago.  I’d only had it a little while when I took it to Port Arkansas,TX and was flying on the beach.   While taking a break, a car drove over my lines and tore them up.   I think they were trying for the kite, but only got my lines thankfully.   Lacking lines, I put the kite away and haven’t flown since.   However, I now have children that are old enough to begin flying and would like to start flying the Rev again with them.
      I’ve searched but can’t find a good recommendation for replacement line.   What weight, length and type of line should I look for?
      Thanks.
    • By John Barresi
      This tutorial from Kitelife.com breaks down basic tuning methodology for most indoor dual line sport / stunt kites.

      You can look forward to a growing collection of similar tutorials covering equipment, flight techniques and other "pro secrets" gathered from over 20 years in the kiting community... A number of them will be available here on YouTube, while the majority of these tutorials will be located in the Kitelife Subscribers section, be sure to subscribe today if you like what we're doing here!
    • By Melissa Wallace
      I am a new flier.
      1) I do not like the stock handles that came with my rev 1.5B. I want to upgrade to the snagless handles, but there are solid aluminum, anodized aluminum, featherweight stainless... What are the differences? What should I get?
      2) I have SkyBond Premium Spectra lines, and they bind up a lot once you hit 4-5 twists. Is this normal? I was thinking of getting Laser Pro Gold to have as primary line with the Skybond as back-up. I know both lines have been recommended on the forum. Does the LPG fly better with less binding?
    • By Joe Eyman
      I can't find it! I even tried the direct Kitelife.com and I get a 404 not found page
      Thanks 🤙🏻
       
       
      Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app
       
    • By mwp
      So you have some older kites that you love to fly but can no longer get replacement parts for. The bridle is about to break, what do you do?
  • Upcoming Events