KiteLife Forum

If Mommy Can't Share;)

Twin Roses

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of a Quantum...supposed to be a "family kite" for hubby, 13 year old twins, and myself.  Well, what if this newbie can't share lol?  Might want to get the kids their own, and even though the $100 for the Quantum is low for veteran kite enthusiasts, for us it was a splurge.  Any recommendations on a lower priced kite... doesn't have to have loads of trick-ability, but is pretty durable, and will offer the ability to do some minor stuff?  Would the Sky Dog Little Wing fit that? Is that a better choice than the Beetle or Jazz?  Once again, thanks in advance :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Twin Roses said:

...but is pretty durable, and will offer the ability to do some minor stuff? 

The Premier Osprey is a 60" kite wind range is 5-25. I think the low wind range is closer to 7 MPH. In higher winds Ill put a 50' ribbon tail, nice tight turns.  It's built tough. Less expensive than the other kites. 

I don't have any experience with the Little Wing, but I do have a 48" kite from their "Learn to Fly" series. It's a fast little kite. Not as tough as the Osprey. This kite came with plastic handles instead of straps. 

The Beetle 2100 (56"x33") is about the same size as the Jazz (55"x28"). The Beetle's wind range is 3-15, where as the Jazz's range is 5-25. Depends on the usual winds you fly in. I would say the Jazz is built tougher than the Beetle. I would say the Beetle is entering light wind category.

I would add 2-3 MPH to the low wind range of smaller kites.

If you are going for a kite that you don't mind who flies it and you don't mind it being lawn-darted, I would recommend the Osprey. 

That being said, my advice would be to save your cash on these smaller kites and buy another Quantum sized kite. Then buy yourself an even nicer kite, later.  The Quantum took the new flier duty from the Osprey. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, khsidekick said:

I started my son out on a small two line foil, they are relatively cheap and almost indestructible. They can be crashed into the ground over and over.

Sent from my IPhone

Thanks KH:)  We bought an inexpensive 2 line parafoil from Amazon that we've been really enjoying.  That might be the way to go for now, another one for the other twin so they can both get flight time, while I play with the Quantum.  As for hubby, if he's good lol, maybe a Quantum is in his future for his birthday;)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kansas Flier said:

The Premier Osprey is a 60" kite wind range is 5-25. I think the low wind range is closer to 7 MPH. In higher winds Ill put a 50' ribbon tail, nice tight turns.  It's built tough. Less expensive than the other kites. 

I don't have any experience with the Little Wing, but I do have a 48" kite from their "Learn to Fly" series. It's a fast little kite. Not as tough as the Osprey. This kite came with plastic handles instead of straps. 

The Beetle 2100 (56"x33") is about the same size as the Jazz (55"x28"). The Beetle's wind range is 3-15, where as the Jazz's range is 5-25. Depends on the usual winds you fly in. I would say the Jazz is built tougher than the Beetle. I would say the Beetle is entering light wind category.

I would add 2-3 MPH to the low wind range of smaller kites.

If you are going for a kite that you don't mind who flies it and you don't mind it being lawn-darted, I would recommend the Osprey. 

That being said, my advice would be to save your cash on these smaller kites and buy another Quantum sized kite. Then buy yourself an even nicer kite, later.  The Quantum took the new flier duty from the Osprey. 

Thanks so much KF.  Excellent info, especially on adding that extra mph on the low ind range. Even on our parafoil, I am seeing it takes more wind than the manufacturer specs. say. Heading online now to window shop the osprey, but you're probably right on saving the cash and aiming for a 2nd Quantum at some point.  For now, at least the kiddos have the foil to experiment with.

Remember that if you want to fly together at the same time, you should have identical equipment. Different kites move at different speeds in the same wind and will encompass a different sized wind window. That applies to single and dual line kites. Once you get to quads you can control the speed more precisely, so you can mix and match to your hearts' content. So if you want to try doing some maneuvers together, keep the kites as close to the same as possible, including bridle settings, flying lines, etc. Group flying is really fun once you get over the initial fear of tangles and messy crashes, and will give more SPM (smiles per minute).

• Like 7

6 hours ago, makatakam said:

Remember that if you want to fly together at the same time, you should have identical equipment. Different kites move at different speeds in the same wind and will encompass a different sized wind window. That applies to single and dual line kites. Once you get to quads you can control the speed more precisely, so you can mix and match to your hearts' content. So if you want to try doing some maneuvers together, keep the kites as close to the same as possible, including bridle settings, flying lines, etc. Group flying is really fun once you get over the initial fear of tangles and messy crashes, and will give more SPM (smiles per minute).

Thanks, you make an excellent argument for getting another Quantum in the future...I may use your reply to justify the purchase;)  And I love your SPM line.  Thanks for the input!

On 3/10/2018 at 7:08 PM, Kansas Flier said:

That being said, my advice would be to save your cash on these smaller kites and buy another Quantum sized kite

The Quantum and foil will serve the 4 of you well. My 2 cents is go up from the Quantum not down. One person on either end of the kite while learning to stop nose diving will keep every one engaged and laughing. The person relaunching the kite will get a valuable perspective watching from the opposite end. Into the Wind has the Hydra and Kymera marked down to $125.00 plus shipping. Ebay has the Flying Wings Soul for $150.00. Same guy has really good deals on the Acrobatix and Silver Fox. My Hydra is better built then my Widow ng and Zephyr. Today I had it in Zephyr winds with all 4 weights on 100' 150# line set.. 1 to 2 mph winds starting to be able to control it well. 3 plus and it's response is right there. Iv'e not flown it over 15. It does fly lower than stated and I think it will fly higher than the stated 18 too.Once I get my timing better it will be my go to kite. An honorable forum member said he watched the Hydras designer flying the Focus version in 1 to 2 mph tricking the daylights out of it. I believe ! The better the kite the more you will learn. Doesn't matter that much what comes next. Just make it better.Be patient and find  good deals so you can buy 2 different ones instead of just 1. If you do that the Quantum will quickly be the kite you hand to newbies while it's waiting to teach your grandchildren to fly. Yeah it can last that long. It's tough.The sticker shock turns a lot of folks off unless  you do the math. Randy G who is a champion flyer had a top of the line kite for sale last week for $300.00. A lot of money for a freaking kite but you could fly that kite for a 1000 hours. That's a lot of fun for 30 cents an hour. That's assuming with more skills the repair bills are going to be lower then mine currently are. The only kite Iv'e paid retail for is my Skyburner Pro Dancer and I was happy to do so. But that's boutique. My 7 year old Great Grand daughter is learning on a 1.4 foil with a bar, Premier Vision and Addiction. She is coming to visit next week. She will be restricted from the PDSUL and Hydra. The rest if she breaks em I'll fix em. A few hours on my  Prism Snapshot foil in 20 mph winds :devil: and I'd let your family fly my Jewel, Addiction or Nighthawk. They are very tricky kites. P.S This is from a guy who for the 1st  2 weeks of flying thought nose dive left, nose dive center, nose dive right were tricks and was very happy doing them.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Breezin said:

The Quantum and foil will serve the 4 of you well. My 2 cents is go up from the Quantum not down. One person on either end of the kite while learning to stop nose diving will keep every one engaged and laughing. The person relaunching the kite will get a valuable perspective watching from the opposite end. Into the Wind has the Hydra and Kymera marked down to $125.00 plus shipping. Ebay has the Flying Wings Soul for $150.00. Same guy has really good deals on the Acrobatix and Silver Fox. My Hydra is better built then my Widow ng and Zephyr. Today I had it in Zephyr winds with all 4 weights on 100' 150# line set.. 1 to 2 mph winds starting to be able to control it well. 3 plus and it's response is right there. Iv'e not flown it over 15. It does fly lower than stated and I think it will fly higher than the stated 18 too.Once I get my timing better it will be my go to kite. An honorable forum member said he watched the Hydras designer flying the Focus version in 1 to 2 mph tricking the daylights out of it. I believe ! The better the kite the more you will learn. Doesn't matter that much what comes next. Just make it better.Be patient and find  good deals so you can buy 2 different ones instead of just 1. If you do that the Quantum will quickly be the kite you hand to newbies while it's waiting to teach your grandchildren to fly. Yeah it can last that long. It's tough.The sticker shock turns a lot of folks off unless  you do the math. Randy G who is a champion flyer had a top of the line kite for sale last week for $300.00. A lot of money for a freaking kite but you could fly that kite for a 1000 hours. That's a lot of fun for 30 cents an hour. That's assuming with more skills the repair bills are going to be lower then mine currently are. The only kite Iv'e paid retail for is my Skyburner Pro Dancer and I was happy to do so. But that's boutique. My 7 year old Great Grand daughter is learning on a 1.4 foil with a bar, Premier Vision and Addiction. She is coming to visit next week. She will be restricted from the PDSUL and Hydra. The rest if she breaks em I'll fix em. A few hours on my  Prism Snapshot foil in 20 mph winds :devil: and I'd let your family fly my Jewel, Addiction or Nighthawk. They are very tricky kites. P.S This is from a guy who for the 1st  2 weeks of flying thought nose dive left, nose dive center, nose dive right were tricks and was very happy doing them.

Breezin, your response really put a smile on my face:)  Some of my fondest memories of my grandfather were the times we spent together flying cheap kites off the Canarsie Pier in Brooklyn when I was a child.  So great for you to share your love of kites with your great grand daughter.  Had the hubby and my girls out today in 8mph inconsistent wind, just with the starter foil and a single line delta as we wait for the Quantum to get here, but still had a great afternoon of good old fashioned family fun.  As always, I thank you for your generosity in sharing so much insight.  I'm soaking all this up.

• Like 5

IMG_6044.jpg

Someone say Canarsie Pier ? They still fly there, I've taken a break from traffic on the Belt many times to fly with the Islanders and their 'Mad Bull' kites.

I agree with what was said above, another Quantum or similar sized kite. Make a list of kites you'd like to fly, I have a few for you guys to try. Once you get a few hours of flying in, I think new kites will be arriving at your door on a weekly basis...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RobB said:

IMG_6044.jpg

Someone say Canarsie Pier ? They still fly there, I've taken a break from traffic on the Belt many times to fly with the Islanders and their 'Mad Bull' kites.

I agree with what was said above, another Quantum or similar sized kite. Make a list of kites you'd like to fly, I have a few for you guys to try. Once you get a few hours of flying in, I think new kites will be arriving at your door on a weekly basis...

SHHHHH - Rob - I'm not sure she realizes the addiction goes so deep!!!!! :devil:

• Like 5

10 hours ago, RobB said:

IMG_6044.jpg

I may have to make a visit to Canarsie with the kiddos to re-live those moments from my childhood:)  And I think I will be making a kite a permanent passenger in the car.  Love the idea of taking a break from traffic to fly.  Looking forward to flying with you Rob :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, makatakam said:

Stable is on the small side. Think "stadium".

Hahahaha on the "stadium" Makatakam!  So you're telling me one day I will look back and laugh at the single tote bag I currently store "all" my kite gear in?  Can't wait!  Quantum should arrive tomorrow and now I am kicking myself for not ordering the 75ft. tail.  Now if it would just warm up a bit.  Enough with the snow already!

• Like 1

Note to self... bring tails.

Yes, you will probably look back & laugh over the first few kites in the bag. I lost count of how many I have, and I'm always looking for more. I am supposed to meet a family in Connecticut soon to buy a collection of an old kite flier who has flown off to better places. I saw the first dozen or so kites, and told them that I would be interested in whatever he had. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, RobB said:

Note to self... bring tails.

Yes, you will probably look back & laugh over the first few kites in the bag. I lost count of how many I have, and I'm always looking for more. I am supposed to meet a family in Connecticut soon to buy a collection of an old kite flier who has flown off to better places. I saw the first dozen or so kites, and told them that I would be interested in whatever he had. 

Okay, you twisted my arm;)  Tail ordered (doing a silent happy dance).  My obsession now with AccuWeather and wind speeds and the extended forecast is comical.  If I could just order great weather conditions.  But I will try to patiently wait :)  Quantum should arrive today and I will be like a kid on Christmas, practicing constructing it in the living room.

I love the expression about the gentleman "flying off to better places."  He'd be very happy I'm sure knowing his collection is going to someone else who will appreciate and enjoy them as he had.

• Like 2

When you are assembling  your kite be sure and put some fingers between the spar connection, spar and sail. JB has a great tutorial on assembly. Iv'e had a few little cuts on my fingers dealing with tight fittings but that is better then a damaged sail.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Breezin said:

When you are assembling  your kite be sure and put some fingers between the spar connection, spar and sail. JB has a great tutorial on assembly. Iv'e had a few little cuts on my fingers dealing with tight fittings but that is better then a damaged sail.

Even more so when breaking it down. Sometimes you have to pull really hard to disconnect, and that's when the "oops" happens, especially with brand new kites. If you can twist and pull it's a bit easier.

• Like 2

I'm not a big "pull or twist" type, but a thumb pusher! I like to hold my spar as close to the fitting as possible, then use my thumb to push the spar out of the connector. Feels like I have more control over how fast or when the spar comes loose. And no bouncy rebound either. But like everything kite related - it's all about what you feel comfortable with doing! YMMV! 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Wayne Dowler said:

I'm not a big "pull or twist" type, but a thumb pusher! I like to hold my spar as close to the fitting as possible, then use my thumb to push the spar out of the connector. Feels like I have more control over how fast or when the spar comes loose. And no bouncy rebound either. But like everything kite related - it's all about what you feel comfortable with doing! YMMV! 

You can also wrap your hand around the spar and use the thumb method to push the hand as it twists the spar. Have used that to undo Rev endcaps on occasion before I took measures to keep the sand out.

• Like 1

Thanks guys:)  I can't express how thankful that you guys have taken me under your wing (I couldn't resist the pun) and for looking out for this newbie :)  Learning so much from all of you.  And Happy Windsday...okay, enough puns;)  Hope you are able to get out and enjoy some kiting today!

13 minutes ago, makatakam said:

Have used that to undo Rev endcaps on occasion before I took measures to keep the sand out.

Think "O" rings on the spars, against the caps, Should be a tight fit to spars and overlap outside of cap! Has reduced my sand problem here out West to almost zero! Works on any quad or rod.

• Like 1

Thanks to you guys, success on my first assembly and dis-assembly of the Quantum!  And you weren't kidding when you said fittings are tight!

Now for my dopey question.  Probably obvious, but I am missing it.  How do you attach a tail to it?  I ordered the Prism 75 ft. tube tail, should have it by next week. I don't see a little loop like the cheapy kites have.  I see some parallel running bungee cord linked around the tail end. Somewhere around there?  Is there some secret hidden area? And really, I'm not blonde;)