KiteLife Forum

If Mommy Can't Share;)

Twin Roses

4 hours ago, Twin Roses said:

I see some parallel running bungee cord linked around the tail end. Somewhere around there?

I have never flown a tail with my Quantum, but I would use the reinforced piece that the bungee cord goes through on the back of the kite. It's about two inches from the bottom of the spine. What I would do is cut a piece 16 to 20 inch of 80#(or so) line and tie a double overhand (or knot of your choice) near the two ends to make a loop. I would push that loop through the webbing holding the bungee cord. You could pull one end of the loop through the other, making a pigtail to attach the tail's swivel or you could pull the ends of the loop even and attach the tail's swivel there.  Once you are done, you can remove the string from the back of the kite, store it on the tail's swivel. 

I do not break down the leading edges on my Quantum, it just sticks out of the bag. If you do this, be careful not to turn it open side down, or a spreader might fall out. 

• Like 1

I also e-mailed Prism Kites this afternoon with my question about attaching the tail to the Quantum.  Wanted to share their thoughts.  But I'm kind of liking your advice on using some line to make a loop and piggy tail it through the webbing.

Here's what Prism said-

"Thanks for getting in touch! We generally suggest clipping the tube tail onto one of the two bungie cords at the tail end of the Quantum’s spine. It doesn’t really matter which of the bungies you clip on to, as they are both close enough to the center of the kite that it won’t affect how the kite flies."

The bungee cord is part of what Prism calls the 'crash dissipator'. It absorbs the shock of an unplanned nose landing, and is standard equipment on the Quantum and Hypnotist. One of the reasons the Quantum is a great beginner kite !

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RobB said:

The bungee cord is part of what Prism calls the 'crash dissipator'. It absorbs the shock of an unplanned nose landing, and is standard equipment on the Quantum and Hypnotist. One of the reasons the Quantum is a great beginner kite !

I think I'll be getting a lot of use out of that feature;)

Rob, what are your feelings about Prism's advice to attach the tail to those bungees? My gut says maybe I shouldn't have anything pulling on them, but maybe I'm being overprotective.  

4 minutes ago, John Barresi said:

Thanks to you! 50% of successful kiting is having good info and convention (process), the other 50% is heart, seems to me you’re digging deep on both - carry on! :) 

Thanks for the kind words.  Very much appreciate all the generosity in sharing knowledge and encouragement in this forum:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Toy Fox Terrier does not have a tail. Got out material and started measuring wondering what he'd look like. He got very irritated when I snapped a bungee on his nub and left. I'm not bleeding to much but I think I'll stick to tails on kites :kid_smartass:.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Twin Roses said:

I think I'll be getting a lot of use out of that feature;)

Rob, what are your feelings about Prism's advice to attach the tail to those bungees? My gut says maybe I shouldn't have anything pulling on them, but maybe I'm being overprotective.  

You know, if Prism says so, I'm sure it will be OK. I wouldn't worry too much about it, as a popular 'mod' for the Quantum & Hypnotist was to remove the assembly entirely, maybe to save weight. I don't know, the Quantum I have didn't have it (it was heavily modded by the guy I bought it from) and the Mirage (Hypnotist) that I had never showed any signs of wear. I gave my Mirage (Hypnotist) to my nephew many years ago when he showed an interest in kiting.

The other suggestions above are probably good ideas, too. I never gave too much thought to attaching tails, I usually figure a way to tie them to the spine and let 'em rip ! Not that I fly duallies with tails very much, I usually save the tails for the SLKs.

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone:)

K.F., I was giving some thought to you not breaking down your leading edges.  I'm liking that, and I have a few longbow cases that could play double-duty as kites cases.  Now to fill them with kites;)

Rob, you may win the bet as to what my second kite will be.  Someone stop me from buying the Prism 4-D;)  Hey, it comes in purple.  How can I not?  But will I kill it?  I know I should dedicate my newbie hours to the Quantum. I'm guessing the 4-D is whole lot more less forgiving.

1 hour ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Never have broken down an LE once I put my kite together. Got some here that have been together for over 20 years. Yes they're longer, but so? Unless the room is needed for other reasons - why?

Thanks Wayne:)  Looks like I will be re-purposing some longbow cases.  The bows and the kites will have to take turns;) And yep, I added to my meager/newbie collection last night by ordering a Prism 4-D :)  Tired of waiting for wind;)

• Like 4

I have an old 3-D, great little car kite. Used to fly it in the parking lot at work during lunch! If the 4-D is anything like it, it will be happy on 30'ish lines and reasonably light winds. Gentle inputs!! And if it starts shaking or shuddering as it goes through the power zone - might be time to put it away!

• Like 3

Ok, the 4d is a versatile LITTLE kite. That's the biggest drawback to it, it's small. But, it is semi-durable, and has a wide wind range. My son learned to fly with mine when he was really little. 

You might consider the Kaiju from Kite Forge, it is a bit bigger. I got mine, but only got to fly it once so far because of all the stormy weather we've been having. If you can wait until I find you at the beach, you could try either, or at least see them if winds are too high for SUL kites.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Wayne Dowler said:

I have an old 3-D, great little car kite. Used to fly it in the parking lot at work during lunch! If the 4-D is anything like it, it will be happy on 30'ish lines and reasonably light winds. Gentle inputs!! And if it starts shaking or shuddering as it goes through the power zone - might be time to put it away!

Great advice, will do Wayne:)  Thanks!

16 minutes ago, RobB said:

Ok, the 4d is a versatile LITTLE kite. That's the biggest drawback to it, it's small. But, it is semi-durable, and has a wide wind range. My son learned to fly with mine when he was really little. 

You might consider the Kaiju from Kite Forge, it is a bit bigger. I got mine, but only got to fly it once so far because of all the stormy weather we've been having. If you can wait until I find you at the beach, you could try either, or at least see them if winds are too high for SUL kites.

Just checked out the Kaiju, beautiful kite!  I ordered the 4-D last night, we'll see how I make out with it once I get some time on the Quantum.  But I foresee the collection growing;)  For now, hopefully those 2 and the cheap "Amazon-special" foil will be enough.  Looking forward to running into you at the beach.  Hoping to make it there tomorrow, but we'll see what the day brings.

Just checked - does yours come with 50' x 50# lines? I'd give that a go before trying shorter. Remember - the shorter the line, the less time to react. Things happen really fast on short lines!! And remember this - if there is no way out of a problem - DON'T PULL, GIVE TO THE KITE! Pulling just drives the kite faster! If aimed at the ground - BOOM! Give it slack, take steps forward, let the kite gently fall. At least you don't get a broken kite! Rather to have to set it back up, than to go home. Give!!!

• Like 3

What Wayne said was the hardest thing for me to learn at the start. For me it was so counter intuitive. My brain would say one thing and my body would do another. Got a few broken parts waiting for a project to prove it. Now when I'm not trying to trick my main focus is trying to be as comfortable nose down as nose up any where in the window. The good thing about starting on Prisms is their customer service is an A. A+ if they weren't so pricey. Got parts from them twice. Both times I forgot to order hollow ferrules. Make a list when ordering like I didn't. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Just checked - does yours come with 50' x 50# lines? I'd give that a go before trying shorter. Remember - the shorter the line, the less time to react. Things happen really fast on short lines!! And remember this - if there is no way out of a problem - DON'T PULL, GIVE TO THE KITE! Pulling just drives the kite faster! If aimed at the ground - BOOM! Give it slack, take steps forward, let the kite gently fall. At least you don't get a broken kite! Rather to have to set it back up, than to go home. Give!!!

Wayne, yes, it's coming with the 50' x 50# lines.  Will play with those for a long time until I'm ready for shorter.  Mental note to me, add shorter lines to wish list;)

And Wayne and Breezin, wow, that is going to be hard to do with not pulling on the kite, but rather walking in and giving slack when faced with a potential crash.  Science-wise, that totally makes sense, but I'm sure my instinct will be to pull.  Thanks for the heads-up on that one, will try to get that ingrained:)

41 minutes ago, Breezin said:

What Wayne said was the hardest thing for me to learn at the start. For me it was so counter intuitive. My brain would say one thing and my body would do another. Got a few broken parts waiting for a project to prove it. Now when I'm not trying to trick my main focus is trying to be as comfortable nose down as nose up any where in the window. The good thing about starting on Prisms is their customer service is an A. A+ if they weren't so pricey. Got parts from them twice. Both times I forgot to order hollow ferrules. Make a list when ordering like I didn't. 

Small kite + short lines = high speed. If you're about to crash, just drop the handles. Let them go. That means don't wrap them around your wrists. They won't go far. You may have to walk to set the kite back up, but you won't be doing any repairs, which is always a huge plus.

But most importantly, smile, have fun and don't forget to breathe.

• Like 2