KiteLife Forum

Which Rev : Rev1.5 SLE or Blast

Nicolas

Hello Everybody,

This is my first post on this forum. I live near Paris in France.

I'm not new to the world of kites. But I would like to go on a new revolution kites (quad lines).

My choice is on :

- the rev 1.5 SLE

- the rev Blast.

I'm quite heavy (230lbs) so pull power is no matter for me...

Could you give me the good and bad points of each of these kites ?

I would like to have a good kite which can do all the tricks.

Also, Could you give a website which can sell overseas ?

Prices of rev kites in France are more than twice the prices in the US ?

What do you think of :

http://www.coastalkites.com/

http://www.windpowersports.com/

Thanks a lot and sorry for my english.

Nicolas :)

Agreed, 1.5 is WAY more fun... And more versatile.

www.TheKiteShoppe.com is usually very good about overseas orders... WindPower Sports is also reputable... Haven't worked with Coastal before, but I know they've been around awhile.

The first two I mentioned are avid supporters of Kitelife, and are really part of the kiting scene in one way or another... Either attending events in the USA, or sponsoring various events and organizations. :)

Agreed, 1.5 is WAY more fun... And more versatile.

www.TheKiteShoppe.com is usually very good about overseas orders... WindPower Sports is also reputable... Haven't worked with Coastal before, but I know they've been around awhile.

The first two I mentioned are avid supporters of Kitelife, and are really part of the kiting scene in one way or another... Either attending events in the USA, or sponsoring various events and organizations. :)

Hello,

First of all, thanks for your answers.

I'm also considering the ShockWave. And you are right, this will be my first quad line.

I would like to get a kite which has a good "pull power", because I like that, as the same level of doing tricks.

That's why I was considering the blast.

On the rev web site, it is said that the blast could fly in low winds, as well that in high winds.

So, now, I'm hesitating between the blast (again) and the shockwave.

Sorry for my newbie question :)

Nicolas

Shockwave is way more twitchy, both it and the Blast will have a tendency to "jump" when you kick it hard into forward flight... If you want speed, power and "zing", either of these will be fine.

Between the two... The Blast is for POWER, the Shockwave is more for SPEED.

If you want fine control (i.e. wing tip on lamp post, etc)... The Rev 1.5 (or Rev I) is where you'll want to look.

Hi

Stick to the 1.5. It's much more versitile, and will teach you all you need to know about Quads. It has pleanty of power and can be depowered just by moving your hands down on the handles. It will be very frustrating trying to learn on a kite that has too much power. Watch the instructional CD over and over. It has lots of good info, but the best info I have seen comes from this Forum. Also, I have purchased kites from Costal Kites, and they were very reliable.

Good Flying

Steve :)

hello,

Thanks again for all your comments.

You make me decide for the Rev 1.5SLE !!! :)

So now, I'm searching for the 1.5M SLE.

All shops don't seem to have it in stock. Is it a new kite from revolution ?

Could you help me with that again ?

Bye, Nicolas

While I wouldn't say that the mylar rips easily on a 1.5, an all ripstop sail simply flies better... See if your local shop can order one, and if not, you'll be fine with the mylar.

Rob's bad experience with mylar was on a Rev I... I've never seen it rip on a 1.5, it's just a little "slipperier" in the air, when flown by a skilled pilot.

Not entirely true.. rev I and my 1.5 had ripped mylar... 2 local fliers also had mylar panels rip on their revs quickly after purchase..

Maybe just a bad batch or something.. then again I had my UL genesis blow out a mylar panel as well..

Mylar hates me :(

Kiteshoppe should have an all ripstop sail in stock last i remember ;)

Very different kites. the Rev I has an SLE leading edge as well so they're generally referred to as 1.5 and I.

1.5 is more agile and quick, I is more slow and majestic.

I is generally significantly better for precision, 1.5 is significantly better for tricking and/or '3d' flying.

1.5 doesn't pull much, I pulls a lot for a non-traction kite when the wind picks up

1.5 is more popular in the rest of the world, I has it's own little corner right here where all us I fans gather to bash the 1.5 (j/K)

That's all really ;)

I always love to refer to these videos, great representation of the two kites:

Rev I - http://kitevideo.net/johnbarresi_com/jb-promo05_revplay.wmv (31.74MB)

Rev 1.5 - http://kitevideo.net/video_files/mqb/aka02...jado_1stMQB.wmv (13.8MB)

You'll see the difference in style fairly well.

The Rev 1 is also quite a bit bigger than the 1.5 which can be misleading.

The Rev 1 has a 9 foot leading edge (tip to tip) or 2.7 meters.

The Rev 1.5 has a 7.5 foot leading edge (tip to tip) or 2.3 meters.

Both kites come with the SLE (super leading edge) but can be ordered with the standard leading edge instead. Some like the standard better, some like the SLE. It all depends on your personal preference.

Back to the main thread topic....I would highly recommend starting out with the EXP, Rev 1, or the 1.5 instead of the speed series Rev's (shockwave, supersonic). The speed series are awesome kites but can be very frustrating to learn on because of how friggin quick they are. Once you master the control of the others, then pick up a speed series kite to round out your collection. If you are looking for a kite with a lot more pull then the Blast or even the power blast 2-4 would be my recomendation over the shockwave/supersonic....again because of the speed of the latter and the difficultly level.

The Rev 1.5 SLE is a very common kite and one of our best selling Rev's. Not sure about overseas but the 1.5 SLE can be found in almost every kiteshop in the U.S. The Blast or the Rev 1 may be a little less abundant but still pretty commonly found. We have all models in stock pretty much all the time. They are really awesome kites. ;)

Hello,

Again, thanks again for all your answers.

I'm still embarassed because I still don't know which rev to choose.

1.5 or Blast, that is the question.

The problem I may not have mentionned is that I have not a lot of money... :kid_content:

So I can buy one rev, and this for a long time. :P

Like I have said before, I want a kite which can do tricks, but which can also have a good "pull power".

That's why the blast was for me the best one.

I know also that it may be difficult to learn on the blast... but I'm a good student :kid_smartass: and I will do my best.

Thank you again for all your attention.

Nicolas :kid_smartass: POWER !!!!

The decision is yours.

You'll just have more fly time on the 1.5 due to the wind window.

The blast can be difficult even for Rev. fliers in lighter wind. the Blast is going to be much more limited. Tricks on the Blast? A few, but it's not what a Rev. is about to start with. It's about the control. Stopping, stopping, reverse flight in any direction, and much more.

The 1.5 SLE is great for wind and throw in a lighter leading edge and you've got a kite that can be flown in no wind. (with practice) Oh, and I imagine for the price of the blast you can get the 1.5, an extra leading edge and still have money left over to save towards your next Rev. :kid_smartass:

What did I say? Oh, yeah... it's your decision. :kid_smartass:

BB

Penny

Nicolas, I don't mean to confuse you even more then you already are but I'm not sure why you have set your options only for a 1.5 or a Blast, the others may have unwittingly given you a third option that I think you should seriously consider. You state that you enjoy a strong pulling kite and that seems to make you lean towards the Blast, but many forum members seem to be concerned that the Blast may not a good learning kite or have a wide enough wind window for an only choice in Rev's. Well why not give the original Rev 1 with the SLE a good look, as AudioRob stated it has a good pull, especially in winds of 15-25 MPH. It also has the best precision and good but not radically fast speeds, with an operating wind range of 3-25 MPH which would seem to quiet the others concerns over the Blast. It's a middle ground choice for you and maybe that's what your looking for or need at this point.

I have an original Rev 1 and love it, I also have a Rev 2 and love it for simply dancing with the wind because of it's speed and light feel on the lines and find the Rev 1.5 to be a nice middle ground between between these two. Maybe you would find the Rev 1 a nice middle ground between the lighter pulling 1.5 and the less accurate and limited Blast.

Hi Mike in Chico. Is this blue genie Mike?

I agree the Rev. I SLE would be a middle ground. Guess I'm all about fly time though. It would still have a limited wind window, especially for a beginner = not enough fly time.

That graceful gentle giant becomes a dead wait for beginners in light wind.

BB

Penny

hello all !!

So today, I was in a local kite shop (bilboquet in paris). And I saw the Rev 1.5SLE.

And I'm decided to get it (thanks Penny Lingenfelter).

The main problem now is where to get it...

The local shop would like to sell it to me for 250$ without handles, lines or video...

Handles are sold 60$ !!!! :kid_smartass:

In the us, best price for the 1.5SLE is around 190$ with handles.

Hope that with shipping cost and duties tax, it will be under the price in france...

Nicolas

Check with www.thekiteshoppe.com, they should be familiar with costs for delivery to France.

The problem is once I click on revolution kites, it take me back to the home page :confused!:

I'm looking on windpowersports with UPS ...

hello all !!

So today, I was in a local kite shop (bilboquet in paris). And I saw the Rev 1.5SLE.

And I'm decided to get it (thanks Penny Lingenfelter).

The main problem now is where to get it...

The local shop would like to sell it to me for 250$ without handles, lines or video...

Handles are sold 60$ !!!! :kid_smartass:

In the us, best price for the 1.5SLE is around 190$ with handles.

Hope that with shipping cost and duties tax, it will be under the price in france...

Nicolas

Check out http://www.cometalia.com/ in Valencia, Spain

They offer it for €209.99 with handles, no lines. No idea about the video.

That is Euros!

Enjoy,

John