KiteLife Forum

Wingtip Tension Knots for Prism 4-D?

Twin Roses

Just received the Prism 4-D, and as a newbie I only have the Quantum to compare it to in terms of assembly.  The Quantum has super easy nocks and bungees to set the wingtip tension.  The 4-D has an insert instead with some line that is wrapped around it to adjust and set the tension.  Does anyone have an up close video of how to insert this tip onto the leading edge and then knot it up correctly to keep it in place? I looked on youtube, but I guess wingtips attachments vary greatly. I foolishly released the original knot to attach it to the leading edge, but I'm uncertain as how to re-do it.  So I figured, hey. there's another leading edge, I can just model the knot off the one I didn't release yet.  But lol, repeated my mistake on the other side.  Am I overthinking this one?  Should I just do a wrap/tuck under type of know to hold them in place? Maybe do something of the sort twice on each end?  Thanks in advance:)

One more question...where do I hide new kites from my husband;)

Build a shed with a nice fence around it. Then find a reputable dog academy and buy a highly trained guard dog loyal  only to you. If the dogs big enough you can make a pack so it can carry your kites and guard the ones your not flying. My Great Danes are big babies so it doesn't work with them. My Akbash Shepherds get offended when I put anything on their backs. I harness up my Chihuahuas but they can only tote 1 at a time. My Toy Fox Terrier just lays down and goes to sleep. The Pekingese  gets very violent. The cats you might ask. Well that becomes a little life threatening. Hmm  maybe I need a mini Burro. Lots of folks here have 4Ds . Won't be long before  you get help. 

• Like 3

You guys crack me up!  Thank you for the storage advice:)

2 hours ago, Wayne Dowler said:

Good luck hiding them!!! LOL!!!

Pix of how long the cord is and a pic of the cap might help. Last I got from Prism (Ozone and Alien) had "O" rings to tension the sail!!

Wayne, here's a pic of the area. Unfortunately, it no longer looks like this since I unknotted  both sides so well;)

Prism 4-D Wingtip Tension.JPG

So looking at the pic - the cord is tied in a loop on the sail and tied to the fitting that goes over the end of the  spar or at least gets trapped in there. So retie that loop on the sail.  If there is any hole in the cap, thread it through and see if you can determine how tight the tension would be. Tie off accordingly. If there is no hole, It looks to be placed thru the notch and tied above that bulge. Again try determining the proper tension and tie off. Either way might mean some trial and error..

Rob might have more info ....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Wayne Dowler said:

So looking at the pic - the cord is tied in a loop on the sail and tied to the fitting that goes over the end of the  spar or at least gets trapped in there. So retie that loop on the sail.  If there is any hole in the cap, thread it through and see if you can determine how tight the tension would be. Tie off accordingly. If there is no hole, It looks to be placed thru the notch and tied above that bulge. Again try determining the proper tension and tie off. Either way might mean some trial and error..

Rob might have more info ....

Thanks Wayne:)  I am definitely lacking in confidence in the knots I've tried so far.  I've tried a few ways and I keep thinking, gee, that will never hold;)  Will keep on trying:)

Any knot that isn't a slip type knot should work to form the loop. Know a bowline knot? Forms a loop that holds til the cord breaks!!  Hard to explain, actually easy to do. Holds like forever or until you release it. How it is attached to the fitting is a little unclear even with the pic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Twin Roses said:

One more question...where do I hide new kites from my husband

In a wardrobe moving box marked "Wedding Dresses". You'll need a box big enough to hold your Mother's, Aunt's, Sister's, Cousin's, and any other relative or friend's dresses, if ya know what I mean. Cut a hole in the back for access. As a guy, I ain't touching that box with a ten foot pole, mess up "Mom's" wedding dress and I would never hear the end of it.

If you need to expand, there is always Prom and Homecoming dress boxes. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kansas Flier said:

In a wardrobe moving box marked "Wedding Dresses". You'll need a box big enough to hold your Mother's, Aunt's, Sister's, Cousin's, and any other relative or friend's dresses, if ya know what I mean. Cut a hole in the back for access. As a guy, I ain't touching that box with a ten foot pole, mess up "Mom's" wedding dress and I would never hear the end of it.

If you need to expand, there is always Prom and Homecoming dress boxes. 

Absolutely love this idea K.F.!

There are endless ways to tie the tip knots while tensioning the sail.  You can do a fairly simple knot & cover it with a vinyl end cap.  The knot will likely be held securely by the cap.  The main thing IMHO is to make the tip snagless by tucking the remaining cord back into the tip of the sail.  My objection to most wing tip cords by Prism is that they are too short to get very elaborate with your knot tying.  Many people give up on vinyl end caps as they continually knock them off & lose them.  Try different things until something pleases you & the kite.  Seems like I would have some kind of standard after many years of tying them but I don't.  But I also rarely undo the tips once I have assembled the leading edges.  When you have a kite with a leech line tied at the tip it gets even more complex.  Just try things & keep on flyin'.  When you figure out the best way let us know.....   SHBKF

P.S. I tried the old trick of trying to buy a set of kites that all looked alike but were different weights, like SUL, UL, standard & vented.  Did not work.  One day I am flying a mid vent Rev for the first time & my genius wife immediately notices.  She proceeded to comment on how the screen vents should help with the wind gusts.  I barely knew that myself at that time.  She just knew it somehow.  Sometimes I think she reads the forums.

my favorite 1.5 Rev, the mid vent

gallery_7709_404_1281961.jpg

• Like 2

SHBKF is right. there are " professional" ways and personal ways. pick your method, how long is please you and is do the job you will be fine.

There are some great flyers on the New York area, try to meet them for a fly session and for sure they will show you how to do "things".

how to find them? is a general topic LOCAL CONNECTIONS, post there where and when you will fly and for sure somebody will join or suggest a different spot

• Like 1

Thanks for your help everyone:)  I knew I could depend of you guys!  Really appreciate how helpful you all are.

Wayne, I really like that bowline knot, that will come in handy for numerous things, thanks. One of my daughters and I just practiced it, think we've got the hang of it.

SHBKF, phenomenal photo!!!! And too funny on the wife story.  My daughter let the cat out of the bag and told hubby about the new kite;) But his suggestion for the wingtips, despite his knowledge of nautical knots, was, wait for it...duct tape;)

And yes, the cord length is far from ample to get fancy.

And thanks Rob, here's a picture of it.  Looking forward to seeing you and your son one day at the beach:)

Prism 4-D Wingtip.jpg

Best way is to call Prism and ask for  "tech support" to walk you through it, or you can just hang loose until someone who flies a 4D chimes in here. The folks at Prism are usually friendly and helpful.

I tried Googling the info, but only found the same manual you did.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Twin Roses said:

Wayne, I really like that bowline knot, that will come in handy for numerous things, thanks. One of my daughters and I just practiced it, think we've got the hang of it.

You will know it is  right if it won't move without you undoing it. Did tree work once upon a time, and used that knot extensively, even trusting my life to it while tree climbing. 

If you get the starting loop correct, there's an old saying that helps you remember - with the free end in hand - "the rabbit goes out the hole, around the tree, and back into the hole." Pull tight from both ends. This should form a loop that will not come loose til you undo it.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Twin Roses said:

Thanks for your help everyone:)  I knew I could depend of you guys!  Really appreciate how helpful you all are.

SHBKF, phenomenal photo!!!! And too funny on the wife story.  My daughter let the cat out of the bag and told hubby about the new kite;) But his suggestion for the wingtips, despite his knowledge of nautical knots, was, wait for it...duct tape;)

And yes, the cord length is far from ample to get fancy.

And thanks Rob, here's a picture of it.  Looking forward to seeing you and your son one day at the beach:)

Prism 4-D Wingtip.jpg

From the picture, I would say to put the fitting on the leading edge rod. Feed the line through the loop on the end of the fitting, pull tension on the line until the fabric is tight along the leading edge with no ripples or puckers (?!?) and then tie it off with a series of half-hitches. That will get you flying. Once I find my 4D ( couldn't find it last night, wasn't upstairs, will have to take some time to goto the basement...) I will get you a picture of the way it looks from the factory.

• Like 2