KiteLife Forum

Wingtip Tension Knots for Prism 4-D?

Twin Roses

Step 2 - the fitting knot.

You could start with using a "clove hitch" around the bulge in the fitting. you will know that it is right when you get the lines going out in opposite directions. Think - loop with the free end under, then another loop with the free end under. If right, the ends should go in opposite directions. you can use this on the fitting end and by trial and error, find the length that lets you get the fitting on, but with proper tension to the sail. Then you just have to throw another hitch or two on, and dress up the end to your satisfaction!

• Like 1

Thanks guys!  As you recommend certain knots (from this thread and another about line attachment for a slk), I've been collecting diagrams of them.  I figured if another newbie is ever in need, this chart might come in handy.  Not my own clip art, it's all borrowed from the internet.  Hope it's okay to post here, if not I'll take it down.

Knots.pub

On 3/20/2018 at 10:01 AM, Wayne Dowler said:

Step 2 - the fitting knot.

You could start with using a "clove hitch" around the bulge in the fitting. you will know that it is right when you get the lines going out in opposite directions. Think - loop with the free end under, then another loop with the free end under. If right, the ends should go in opposite directions. you can use this on the fitting end and by trial and error, find the length that lets you get the fitting on, but with proper tension to the sail. Then you just have to throw another hitch or two on, and dress up the end to your satisfaction!

Wayne, you wn the Prism Prize on this one :)  Heard back from Prism Support and clove hitch it is...

From Prism:

" The idea is that you want to pass the line through the fitting, and then wrap it around and tie a clove hitch to hold it in place. Let me know how it goes!"

Looks like I'll be practicing clove hitches:)

4-D Wingtip Tension Clove Hitch.jpg

• Like 1

Yeh I use the glove hitch as shown above with good results. on my 4D.

A slight change to the clove hitch is the "Constrictor Knot" if you don't ever want a rope/cord to ever loosen once tightened.  

800px-Constrictor-ABOK-1249.jpg

I use this knot a lot for lashing parts together.

Also the top of my power kite handles. (using a single piece as the leaders on both sides and the strop combined).

Really the only way to undo it once it's had pressure applied to it is...........

220px-Constrictor-Releasing.jpg:(

• Like 2

The constrictor variation of the clove hitch would actually be quite good for this purpose. The clove hitch, when tied around a smooth surface, such as plastic, tends to loosen when tension is released. The constrictor will continue to grip the fitting once you break down the kite so you don't lose your adjustment each time.

• Like 1