KiteLife Forum

Kaiju video contest! (Apr 1-22, 2018)

John Barresi

FYI... ;)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/kaijukite/permalink/508909256171273/

We are pleased to announce the start of our Kaiju Video Contest! Entries will be accepted (uploaded to YouTube and time stamped) between April 1st and 22nd, with THREE winners being selected in the week following the close of the contest.

2BDA8625-8673-423A-9E23-0677A5989C01.jpeg

Terms of the contest:

Venue can be indoor or outdoor, flown on maximum 12’ lines (on an honor system).

Video must be UNCUT, 2 to 2:30 in length with pilot’s choice of music playing in the background near the camera and uploaded to YouTube with this title format:

“Kaiju by Kite Forge contest: <pilot name>”

After uploading to YouTube, just post your video link right here to the Kaiju Owner’s Group.

Fixed points will be awarded for **successful start and exit (or landing)** of the following maneuvers found in our tutorials (you can repeat maneuvers but you only get points for one success each) for a possible total of 40 points:

Fade throw = 5 points
Up and over = 5 points
Launch, 360, land = 5 points
One hand flight = 5 points
Fade to catch = 10 points
Basic rodeo = 10 points

Two subjective scores will also be judged by each of the 4 members of Team KiteLife - TKL (John Barresi, Scott Benz, Eli Russell and Brett Marchel) as follows:

Technical = 0-30 points possible
Style / Flow = 0-30 points possible

While the indoor/urban skill levels of the judges naturally vary, all have seen enough to appreciate what they’re looking at... Subjective scores will be averaged between the four judges and added to the fixed points for each pilot’s final score.

Prizes? Oh yes:

1st place
$75 Kite Forge shop credit
3 year KL subscription
($173.85 value)

2nd place
$25 store credit
3 year KL subscription
($148.85 value)

3rd place
3 year KL subscription
($98.85 value)

NOTE: Kite Forge and KiteLife staff are ineligible to enter, as are any clinic / workshop instructors from those two companies.

Again, don’t upload your video until April 1st, but before end of the day on April 22nd... Best of luck to all, go forth, have fun, and show your best stuff - no shame, it’s all in the effort itself!

Video entries may also be posted here on this discussion topic.

• Like 2

Wow 2 minutes. I'd be slightly impressed. Best Iv'e done is 1:36 in 18 mph winds on my Pro Dancer. Alas no video or witness. Pretty bored with the trick YAWN. Doubt I'll do it again. Didn't think there would be prizes like that!! Can't compete but this is cool. Get to watch my 1st kite competition :clap;.

18 minutes ago, Breezin said:

Wow 2 minutes. I'd be slightly impressed. Best Iv'e done is 1:36 in 18 mph winds on my Pro Dancer. Alas no video or witness. Pretty bored with the trick YAWN. Doubt I'll do it again. Didn't think there would be prizes like that!! Can't compete but this is cool. Get to watch my 1st kite competition :clap;.

Does not have to be sustained flight, crashes acceptable, long as you get back up there! :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the kite for just under two weeks. I know how to fly outdoors reasonably well, and I've seen indoor performances both in person and on video, so I thought it wouldn't be overly difficult.

After an abysmal first attempt, I rewatched the setting up and tuning videos. Walking slowly through each step, I realized a critical tuning step is moving the bridle knots. After tightening them all the way it no longer felt like I was tugging on a brick, it felt merely sluggish. (It felt quite a lot like when the wind suddenly dies...)

There is something to be said with the Rev defaulting to a terribly short handle leader line and strong forward drive to make it easier for beginners, it might be good to ship these adjusted for the absolute novice. The novice won't know they need to change the lengths, but an experienced pilot will instantly recognize if they need to step it back a knot.

I'm now at four flying attempts and I've learned it is a serious workout and a great way to get dizzy. I could record myself but I think it would be more of a comedy routine.  I'm thinking something like this:
* Up, nearly over, and not quite crashing: 1 point.
* Launch, most of a 360 until either tripping over feet or running out of power: 1 point.
* Style: At least he made an effort, 1 point.

I know I can't improve if I don't put in time on the lines, and I can't win if I don't submit a video. I'll aim to do both, but my hunch is I'll keep the video set to "private". 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, John Barresi said:

Nope. Though I would enjoy seeing that very much, if done well. :)

Go for it, John, and post the video. Who could be better than you to pull that one off? We will guess what moves you're doing by body and arm movement. It could be fun. Since you got nothing to do anyway. :lol:

The Kaiju video contest closed with 5 entries as of 11:59pm PST on May 1st, our four judges (John Barresi, Scott Benz, Eli Russell and Brett Marchel of Team KiteLife) reviewed and scored, we’ll announce the results asap - thanks all for your participation! 👍

Entries:

Steve Kline (US)

==

Eric D. Singer (US)

==

Krijn Hemminga (Netherlands)

==

CCL (Taiwan)

==

Adam Schutsky (US)

26BD2A3E-339D-43ED-8006-DD0A5BFE5F5B.jpeg

Final results are in for the Kaiju video contest, scores represent all compulsory maneuver points plus average technical score plus average style / flow score for the totals below:

1st place - 72.00 Eric Singer
2nd place - 56.50 Steve Kline
3rd place - 49.50 CCL (attn Albert)
4th place - 47.50 Krijn Hemminga
5th place - 32.75 Adam Schutsky

Congrats to all, especially with comparatively short notice for the contest - we enjoyed all the flights and are extremely honored to have you participate. 🙂

Top three winners stay tuned, we’ll be in touch with your prize info very soon. 🤘

• Like 1

Thank you so much for having this competition and really honored to have competed against so many excellent flyers.   I'm especially impressed with Adam, with more time and practice I won't have a prayer of a chance against him again.

Extremely well done all!

• Like 2