KiteLife Forum

New EXP sails

TonyK

Almost the entire Icarex Polycarbonate coating color selector library (11) is presented right there for your examination,
I believe there are about 14 to 16 colors in total, that are available from Jon
The EXP's are due to be Icarex?!

Sent from a Galaxy 8 Far Far Down Under.

Wow!
That's the old 1.5SLE sail pattern. Do you know what the sail material is?

Sent from a Galaxy 8 Far Far Down Under.

No idea what material is used (or what I should look for in a kite). I have the blue, yellow, black one on order. I do like the pattern much better than the one it is replacing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3 using KiteLife mobile app

Polyester material is what you ideally want. Coated to be windproof, it makes great sails. Also known as "Icarex" or Icky for short. The other material used is nylon. Porous, can get waterlogged easier, stretches more. Usually on lesser quality sails. The pattern in the pic you included is the old "SLE" sail pattern. 

On 4/12/2018 at 4:15 AM, SparkieRob said:

That's the old 1.5SLE sail pattern. Do you know what the sail material is?

It's what makes the kite fly. (If you leave me an opportunity this big, I just gotta go for it) :lol::rolleyes:

I believe the old EXP's were made of ripstop nylon. If they are trying to keep the price point low it probably is still nylon.

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

Will the spars from my EXP work with a new sail if I upgrade down the road?

The EXP, SLE, B-Series, B-Pros, and many others all use the same size of frame called a 1.5, while the 1 and the 2 are larger and smaller respectively. Rev made a Reflex model that was built on a larger frame, but not as large as the 1. Most Rev-style quad line kites that you will come across will be the 1.5 size, so the answer to your question is most probably yes, but not always, depending on what you buy. If you are not sure, ask. The people on this forum have flown almost every kite out there.

The EXP, SLE, B-Series, B-Pros, and many others all use the same size of frame called a 1.5, while the 1 and the 2 are larger and smaller respectively. Rev made a Reflex model that was built on a larger frame, but not as large as the 1. Most Rev-style quad line kites that you will come across will be the 1.5 size, so the answer to your question is most probably yes, but not always, depending on what you buy. If you are not sure, ask. The people on this forum have flown almost every kite out there.
Not really sure what I'm getting as I just ordered an EXP but the new version apparently has the reflex feature (whatever that is). I guess time will tell what size the frame is.

That should fit - but those frames (Reflex) are a larger diameter tube and will not mix with any of the older frame parts. Depends too on the fittings used, if they accept that frame. Anything Reflex should accept Reflex frames of the same size.

Edit: The EXP is in the 1.5 sized family. Rev is using 5/16" tubes for that Reflex system. Older tubes were 1/4" and won't fit if mixed. Old frames should still fit, but won't have the Reflex system. So it's sorta one or the other. And it depends on the fittings too. The new are setup for the 5/16" rods, the old for 1/4". I believe they do have a fitting that will accept both, not sure how available they are?

Jeez, they're making it into rocket science. The 1.5 frame length and height remain the same but the tube diameter may vary, so the worst case scenario will be changing out six endcaps for ones that fit both sizes of tube diameter. Not a major deal, but still some minor expense and definitely a p.i.t.a.