KiteLife Forum

Replacement line for Rev 1.5

BSAggie

Does anyone have replacement line recommendations for a Rev 1.5 SLE?

I bought the kite about 10 years ago.  I’d only had it a little while when I took it to Port Arkansas,TX and was flying on the beach.   While taking a break, a car drove over my lines and tore them up.   I think they were trying for the kite, but only got my lines thankfully.   Lacking lines, I put the kite away and haven’t flown since.   However, I now have children that are old enough to begin flying and would like to start flying the Rev again with them.

I’ve searched but can’t find a good recommendation for replacement line.   What weight, length and type of line should I look for?

Thanks.

Shanti Skybond, or Laser Pro Gold (LPG) will do fine. If you fly alone, just for grins, then 80-foot or 100-foot will do the trick. If the lines came with the kite when you bought it they were probably 80-foot. The two I recommended is what is commonly available here in the states from just about any kite shop. If there isn't one near you, just Google kite shops and buy online. Just so you don't drop dead when you see it, I'm gonna tell you about the upcoming sticker shock. Be prepared to spend as much as $100. The next time someone intentionally runs over your lines get his plate number and call the cops.

And take good care of that SLE. Its a discontinued model, but a well-made durable beast of a kite.

Have fun, smile and don't forget to breathe.

P.S. -- Don't buy the cheap stuff from China. It has a looser weave, and is not as slick. It will stretch like a rubber band. It will collect dirt like a magnet. It will wear out in half the time. It will hinder your performance. In time you will shout obscenities at it.

• Like 1

For line weight and length I usually refer to this video 

As for brands, Laser Pro Gold is a popular choice but I've been trying out the lines that Ocean Shores Kites sells and its 30-40% cheaper. So far I've been happy with them.

• Like 1

OSK has quad-line 90# by 82-foot set on special right now at 60 dollars. They don't specify the manufacturer, and it may not be as tight a weave as LPG or Skybond, (tight=slippery=good) but judging by the price it's a decent spectra line set. OSK is a reputable kite shop.

If you're going to own just one set, don't buy 50#, get 90#. You'll get much more than $5 of extra durability and longevity.

If you plan on getting pre-made lines, there are 3 I know of - LPG, Skybond, or the line from OSK. Used all 3. LPG is best IMHO, tight weave, reasonably slippery, decent lasting. Skybond is very slippery to start, but as the coating wears, not so much. It also has a bit more "bunjii" feel to it. OSK line is good stuff, using it right now. A little less expensive than the others, but durable enough to handle the beating I give it in team flying. Not bad for the price.

Let me qualify this somewhat: I'm a serious team flier that eats lines. Some years go through 2 sets. Good lines are your only connection to the kite. Get what is reasonable to your situation. But yes, 90# (or in Skybond 100#) is the way to go. 50# is for days of almost no winds.

Talked to OSK and if I remember correctly their line is made in China to their specs. Better then regular Dyneema from China. I was told it's comparable to Prism line or a little better. It's also sold at Into The Wind. I bought HQ 130# x 100'. Cheaper to start but after flying the LPG in the long run the LPG ends up being cheaper in my opinion. When flying the Widow ng I preferred the 150# x 100" Prism line over the 82' x 150# stock line set. Assumed it was the length. Looking back I believe it was more the line quality difference. Like whats been said before get what you can justify. Starting out I wanted top notch lines but the cost put me off. Happy with my Prism line sets and if OSK is comparable think you'd be very satisfied with it.Bought a kite that came with 2 sets of LPG though and now I'm ruined.If I didn't know what I needed to know did I really need to know what I didn't  know about lines. Uh I think did.

• Like 1

.....and when you're flying your kite on spectra lines, avoid single line kites, the small cheap stuff like the plague. The "string" that those kites fly on will cut through your expensive spectra like a hot knife through butter.

• Like 1

Just went through two brand new Skybond 120/100# sets at a recent clinic. They were store purchases so costly. Have flown LPG in all kinds of crappy sand and grass and I’ll stand with them. However I love the Skybond slick. Can’t speak on OSK but I’m sold at long term so another spool is on the way!

Another option and what I’ve been doing is buying 300 yard spools of LPG and making my own. Purchase sleeving material and tool for less than $20 and the spool of line for just over $100 and make them yourself. Then you’ll have the tool to fix sleeving on broken lines, and make a shorter set for urban flying.

Sent from my IPhone

• Like 2

Just  remember - you can't get 2 quad sets of 120's out of 900'! Plan out ahead of time what lengths you will need - before cutting!

You can get about 2 sets for the price of one doing it yourself, just time consuming to make it right. If you have time and patience ......

• Like 2

my experience is only with LPG and Skybond, I use both in different environments

one is like flying on wires (nice if you don't want to snag the floor, crap or dirt indoors or out).  but doesn't hold it's slipperiness as long, throw and catch + the rest of the 3D stuff & shorter lines, = LPG gold 90#

The other is TWICE as slippery on day one and every day thereafter too.  It has a "softer hand" though, it is thinner in diameter and more visible (unless you are flying on beige soil&yellow clay), team flying or long lines cruising = Skybond 50#, 100#, 170#

i love Skybond, i have 2 sets of 120 and on 2 years no stretch on them except after first fly. that yellow is visible on any terrain i flayed and even they show some wearing they remain slippery. 

with LPG i had some bad experience, trying to untangle the lines i had some bad knots because of dried grass or small twigs caught in at landings or in parking 

• Like 1

imagine a fine sports car with old useless bald tires, ... it doesn't matter how much power you put out, it ain't getting to that last square inch of the road!

Well you kite is that same way, save a dime and see if it effects performance overall?  Okay sure, but Save 25% and I will question you again in 60 days and at the end of the year.  Did you really save money or in hindsight you should have gotten the best darn tires to fit your ride instead, regardless of their price?

I am hard on my lines and fly a lot, (10 hrs a week minimum) so the expense of lines is just a part of being sport kite flier, several times a year I buy new strings.  You could make your own handles or even a killer kite, but you gotta BUY flying line no matter what!

This is no place to go cheap, save $ on something else and get the best darn lines you can find, it is that last sq. inch of contact with the pavement!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

teaching kids?, at least 80 feet, they need reaction time to form muscle memory/feel the wind, longer lines allow a bigger picture to be drawn with your kite, shorter lines are less impacted by fickle wind conditions.

light weight string is 50#, but I'd recommend you stay on 90 or 100# strength until you get better, it's more durable and has less effort to keep 'em perfectly even on the flier's part.

you need a location clear of obstructions, hills, trees, buildings,... etc, the better the "view" behind you the better (smoother!) the wind will be for flying.  Turbulence is your mortal enemy!

brands? most of us have a preference for either LaserPro Gold or Skybond,.... I use both in varying conditions.

Looser grip, move your feet, now relax your hands to the point of almost dropping the handles, if the kite won't back-up (fly backwards) the tuning needs adjustment, smile and breath, sharing is good, enjoy and report back to us with your progress too

• Like 3

This post is like Deja Vu. I can swear I saw it before. I definitely recall the part about the car aiming for the kite. Was there a duplicate that was moved or deleted? The forum software frequently duplicates posts for some unknown reason. I recall that there were many replies given. If not, then . . . . 

. . . everything Paul said. Starting with longer lines is good. Larger wind window and more time to react. 120-foot can be cut down to an 80-foot and 40-foot set (approximately) when they begin to show wear, and are the standard length used when flying in a group, which is loads of fun.

Don't get cheap line (fishing line). It will hinder learning and the kite's performance. Fishing line has less fibers in a looser weave, binds up more easily, and collects dirt. You can't learn if your lines won't let you. Laser Pro Gold and Shanti Skybond are the way to go. LPG is white, slick and stiff -- less prone to tangle. SS is yellow and slicker -- better visibility, binds less. Both are relatively expensive unless you buy bulk spools and make your own set(s). Again, don't get the cheap crap, because it's CRAP.

Be selective about the wind you fly in until you have basic control down pat. Again, you can't learn anything if the wind won't let you. Fly in a large area, free of obstructions like buildings and trees, in wind from 6 to 10 mph (ideally), especially if you want the kids to have fun. If not, they will lose interest almost immediately and you may too. 

I don't know how much experience you have, so please, if I said anything that you already know, just ignore it. If you have any questions, just ask and we'll do our best to help.