KiteLife Forum

2018 04 Squad Clinic

John Barresi

Two of my favorite flights from an excellent 4-person Squad Clinic weekend with @Sari Alexandra Becker, @Katrina and @Mark Giadone, this is all footage from the second day (much improved over the first)... We had even smoother and tighter flights after this was filmed but the camera wasn't running, you know how that goes. :) 

100% freestyle, no routine, the pilots have no idea what is coming next - order of maneuvers is all off the top of my head.

Second set starts at 4:54, FYI, less bodies in front in front of the camera. ;)

• Like 4

Remember, if anyone would like to experience something like this: round up 3 or 5 pilots including yourself (adding me to make 4 or 6) and message me privately to discuss possibles dates and details - it’s a ride you’ll never forget, with TONS of on the job instruction. 😉

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

This video is merciless in many ways: first the sun is behind the kites, then the wind is rather strong, the surroundings are dessert like, then the metal music in the background, the metallic voice and the high pace.

This video contrasts the often slow precision when learning (like clockwork e.g.), but here it is like the challenged difficulty is the “high speed preciseness”. I find it surprising that this was no routine, but instead was driven by instructions given just before each manoeuvre. (The only experience I had in group flying was much more forgiving with pauses (hovers and brief landings) to synchronize)

I have much difficulties in getting (hearing) the instructions and connect it to the manoeuvres and need to see the video several times it to make some of it to match. Knowing some of the figures (mostly in theory) makes it here and there possible to “reverse engineer” the (hearing of the) instructions, i.e. to figure out what must have been said (and then the audio suddenly makes obvious sense).

Just to mimic this in thought and to immediately realize what should be done if you would be holding the handles is tricky (I guess this is the punishment for what I in my youth thought about square dance).

Does the high wind high make the pace a natural choice, is it initially agreed on or is it following naturally from the skill of the participants? Still find the speed of instructions/manoeuvres very impressing. So little said and so much action initiated!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Dowler said:

John - how many previous clinics have these folks been to at this type of training?

Several, at least... This video, all are multiple time students, and all three have done squad clinics with me before.

1 hour ago, esinger said:

It's a really enjoyable, rewarding as well as a heck of a workout. Both mentally and physically.

Really didn't think I could do it, but man I loved our session (myself, April, Eli and JB)

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using KiteLife mobile app

And while all of that is true and good, it wasn’t actually a “squad clinic”, just a little team 101 introduction really. :)

• Like 2