KiteLife Forum

Need repair advice

dragonfish

I got a significant tear in my Rev over the weekend. :( Need some advice on how to approach fixing it. I'm not even sure how it happened. I had left it flat on the sand in the pit area of the demo "field" at a festival and hadn't gotten a chance to put it away after the wind picked up. 

Here's a pic: (you probably have to click on it and make it big to see the tear)

IMG_20180430_203122.jpg

The tear is in both vertical and horizontal directions. The vertical one goes all the way to the LE screen seam. Given the location and nature of the tear, would there be repair methods that are better or should be avoided? Thanks. 

• Like 1

i feel your pain, for sure some kid step on it bare foot. i had something like this last year but they brake the leading edge to. 

2 choices to repair with ripsop tape. Fast - tape on both sides. Best - tape on both sides and sewn the tape edges

if you will use 2 inch tape you will catch both tears with a single strip by side. put edge of the tape on top of the mesh sewn. will help when you will sewn the edges.

good luck 

• Like 1

That's an impact tear, judging by how clean the weave separation is. Tape the front with masking tape. Use Tedlar tape on the back putting about 1/4 inch to each side of the tear, in other words, two 1/2-inch strips on the back. Remove masking tape from front. The Tedlar tape will form a permanent bond in time. You can get Tedlar tape from most kite shops. Sail repair tape from your local marine dealer if no kite shop. eBay has Prism kite repair kits for about $25 which does include a piece suitable for 3 or 4 small repairs.

Has anyone here tried the super glue sail repair method?

I’ve only found it safely applicable if the tear lines up (no lost material) and the tear isn’t more than 2” or 2.5” long, subject also to whether or not it’s in a highly loaded part of the sail...

Scotch tape one side of the tear, moving the fibers back in line, ends touching and overlapping, working the tear so the sail is flat (again, fabric edges MUST be able to make contact for this to work), then apply a very, very fine line of superglue along the tear on the exposed (non tape) side of the sail and then smooth the glue slightly, keeping it in a slim line (I use plastic toothpicks to work with the glue here).

Let that glue dry, put a piece of scotch tape over the glue you just applied and CAREFULLY remove the first piece of scotch tape (leaving behind the glue and the adhesive it was touching on the tape) and go through the glue application process on the new side.

Let that side dry, remove the last (newest) piece of scotch tape and voila, you should have a very durable sail fix.

AGAIN, this only works if the tear can be lined up with edges touching when the sail is flat. ;)

This method is what I use most of the time, been lucky enough to say I’ve never re-opened one of these repairs.

• Like 3

I use the qel super glue and haven't had a repair fail yet either.On the last 2 I used a little to much on white sails and you can see it a bit. Others you'd have to look real hard to find them. Do like JB says and it will be hardly noticeable. I dip my toothpick into the glue and hold my hand under it till I get to the spot. Don't want glue where it's not needed or to much. All my repairs except 1 have been tiny to small punctures. Got a tear in mylar a little bit smaller than yours.After the repair  looks like a small crease or maybe a little dirt. Quit checking on it awhile ago and would have to look to find it. Easy  repair but makes me a little sick every time I have to do it.Be patient and steady.The reason they didn't have fancy stunt kites like we got 50 years ago was the lack of SUPER GLUE LOL.

• Like 2

Thanks all, and thanks JB and Breezin for the affirmation. Before I saw your two posts, I was starting to feel bad about asking for advice and then deciding to ignore it, since I had decided in the mean time to use the super glue method. I've done it before on a small what looked more like a cut than a tear. Didn't think it would work on larger tears until I found some posts on some kiteboarding forums where they used that method too. Yes, this tear is really clean, so I think it will work. Worst case, it comes apart and I'm back to where I am now. Then I will try the tape. Oh, and the super glue method has one more advantage in that I can get it fixed before an event this weekend, whereas I probably wouldn't be able to acquire repair tape in time. 

• Like 3

I think there's also varying super glues differing in how malleable it is when it dries that might be good for a sail like that. Too crisp when dried maybe might poke through the sail under pressure? No clue just thinking... Not experienced enough.

I do have CA glue on hand for RC wing repairs, and also 3M packing tape on hand which is another highly touted repair 'tool' in RC hehe. Super thin and lightweight and mighty strong but soft and malleable. Not sure what it'll do for a pressured kite sail... 

I also have a RC Paraglider Wing Repair kit on hand I could see if it has any kind of tape in it  you could use. Since it's a parafoil I'd imagine it to be similar Icarex wing material/kit

Might be there Saturday morning :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dragonfish said:

@happysuperbutton Cool. Haven't seen you in a while. Be aware parking is metered even on Saturday. 

Nice try @makatakam, but I'm keeping this one. It's a B-Pro custom colors and part of a matched set. Unobtanium. 

I have a matched set of 5 Custom Color B-Pros (including Zen) that I fly at fests and club outings. For everyday use I have home-mades and beaters to work with. I hope that matched set of Pros never wears out, but I know they will eventually. OMG, what a nightmare! Quick, someone wake me up!

Unobtainium  is the word on the now defunct "B"pros. Maybe on the used market, but then no choice on color combos. Like JB said - fly what suits you.

Myself, I went Phoenix. In fact my whole team did. On FB, look for Quad Squad North West - you'll see us.

I have a matched set of 5 Custom Color B-Pros (including Zen) that I fly at fests and club outings. For everyday use I have home-mades and beaters to work with. I hope that matched set of Pros never wears out, but I know they will eventually. OMG, what a nightmare! Quick, someone wake me up!

Say it with me... Djinn. :)

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app
  • Like 6

Thanks all, and thanks JB and Breezin for the affirmation. Before I saw your two posts, I was starting to feel bad about asking for advice and then deciding to ignore it, since I had decided in the mean time to use the super glue method. I've done it before on a small what looked more like a cut than a tear. Didn't think it would work on larger tears until I found some posts on some kiteboarding forums where they used that method too. Yes, this tear is really clean, so I think it will work. Worst case, it comes apart and I'm back to where I am now. Then I will try the tape. Oh, and the super glue method has one more advantage in that I can get it fixed before an event this weekend, whereas I probably wouldn't be able to acquire repair tape in time. 

I have some tape that I will bring tomorrow in case the super glue doesn’t work.

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

• 4 years later...