KiteLife Forum

Dude... what's wrong with your kite?

Carl Norman

The ends fraying is common and so is the wear from the vertical Spars. The newer Revs and OSK Freilein Quad Kites I have already have Mylar wear strips pre-installed as well as folded and sewn leading edge ends. JB offers a service to install Wear Strips: 

as for the fraying ends, I've read ppl using a lighter to burn them off. Haven't tried that myself.

• Thanks 1

yes is normal for both. leading edges rods with caps in create a bow shape and tension the frame. wearing lines on back of the sail where the spars are is show normal use. Check JB for sail upgrade to reinforce the sail and avoid that wearing  

• Thanks 1

Looks like there is too much tension in the LE bunjis. The other is the rods stick out a fair way. Is it the same for both sides? You do want a little extra tension in you LE to put a little bow in it. Frayed edges is a normal thing. It doesn't get too bad. If it does, just burn it off CAREFULLY with a lighter.

Sent from a Galaxy 8 Far Far Down Under.

• Thanks 1

Look close at the pic - how many twists are in the bunji? When assembling, that should come out clean with no twists and lay flat. The bridle attachment should come out clean from the cap. Spin the cap til that happens.

John offers sewn wear strips. I did make my own from 1" insignia tape. Assembled the kite and carefully marked where the tape would go. Clamped the sail down smooth on a sheet of plywood.  I then cut my tape to go even with the LE, down to the triangle reinforcement. Started it even with the LE and in short bits, laid it on, using my marks as a guide. Rolled it very well using a heavy, but small roller for formica. Rolled it WELL!!! Didn't need to sew, that tape is sticky stuff, but good rolling really helps it stay in place.

• Thanks 1

If you have never burned something with a lighter before I would recommend practice first. I recommend practicing on a ribbon, a thicker grosgrain one, or some synthetic rope. Fray the edges out a bit then try it. I like to use a thick pillar candle so as to have a stationary flame and both hands free to move the material. Aim to hover just above the tip of the flame.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://KiteLife mobile app

For those trying to burn frayed edges - put something steel or metal in the pocket to hold it open while melting the edge. Acts as a heat sink too. I have a piece of round, 1/2" thick stainless  rod I use.Never use your spars!! Be sure all your bunjis or bridle legs are clear or have been removed first!!!

I hold the frayed part toward the side of the flame. The closer you get to the bottom of the flame the less heat so you can control the melt rate by where the fabric contacts the flame. Top of the flame is hot. Bottom is cold a lot less hot. 

You can use pretty much anything between the spar and the sail as a wear strip. You can use masking tape if you don't care how it looks. Just remember that anything you use adds weight. 

To me kites are like tires on a car. They will wear out eventually if you use them. When they wear out I replace them. I like the new ones, and have many spares just in case one wears out.

• Like 2