KiteLife Forum

New Trick Kite Selection... Help Me Decide.

LifeCycle

Kymera

Aerobatx 

Hyrdra

About me... I flew kites years and years ago... Only have an E3 left and I'm super sad I sold my Benson Outer Space and my Prism Illusion. I really wish I had not! Would love to find an Illusion to buy if anyone has one! 

Anyway, I'm looking at these 3 kites and not sure which way to go. I'm sure they're all great and it's really just a personal preference thing but I'd like to know if maybe there is one I should definitely stay away from... I noticed the price is vastly different for the Kymera - at least by $100 on one site! But the kites I'm looking at are on IntoTheWind. 

Any input is much appreciated! Thanks!

Hi, LifeCycle, and welcome to the forum. I look forward to sharing the wind with you someday.

I'm primarily a quad-line flyer and haven't had the chance to fly any of those three. That question will be hard to answer, even for the dual-line guys, because it will be very subjective. Which one to choose is a matter of individual preference -- I wouldn't hesitate purchasing any one of them. Some people will click with one but not the others. It depends on one's flying style, experience and what you want the kite to do.

I'm sure the dual-line guys will chime in and give you their opinions of the ones they have flown.

Aerobatx or Acrobatx by flying wings ? If you're asking about the Acrobatx, I would recommend either of the other two. I have flown all 3, and I liked the Kymera the best, but as mentioned above, that's subjective. The Acrobatx was the least impressive, build quality was lower than the others, and I broke mine a number of times. I haven't flown it in years, either.

15 minutes ago, LifeCycle said:

Very helpful! I was leaning towards the Kymera anyway! I'll have them ship me one ASAP!

I was leaning towards the Kymera also, but didn't want to influence your decision. The Kymera is designed by John Barresi. He knows kites. 'Nough said.

• Like 1

I love my Hydra but I still want a Kymera too. It was a hard choice for me and I didn't make up my mind until I was at the store. Hydra is described as advanced, Kymera as intermediate. Went for the advanced because I got a big ego ☢️. If I would have got a Kymera instead I'm sure because of the price I'd be wanting a Hydra right now. Amazing how many people regret selling their Illusions. Sold a power kite couple days ago because 8.8 meters was to much for me. Part of the deal was a Skydog Black Dog. Regretted selling a Black Dog so I took it. If not for that when the winds got below 15 mph today I would have been flying a new Kymera.

• Like 1

Yeah, that Illusion was iconic... I think I had one in 99 or 2000...  I'd like an Illusion 2K as well but never owned that one. I wonder if Mark at Prism ever though of making special vintage runs of older kites? I was sure I could find an Illusion online somewhere but the old GWTW classifieds page is not what it was and I didn't find any on here. I bet when they come up for sale they demand a pretty penny. No, the Illusion wasn't the trickiest kite out there but it was just an amazing kite that was super well-rounded. The lines it cut in the sky were beautiful. But yeah, I'm sure there's a great many Illusions that haven't been pulled from their kite bags in years. :( 

My Benson Outer Space was the best 540 kite. It got so flat and would just hover and spin in one spot. It was just balanced so well and another one I really miss. Anyway, I'm going to get out this weekend and unravel some lines and fly my E3 and then order the Kymera next week!  Thanks for help and kind words! 

• Like 1