KiteLife Forum

Stunt Kite Clinic (Jun 16-17, 2018)

John Barresi

3 hours ago, Russ Wilson said:

We'll work on some of the basics (like a stall) before the clinic.  I was curious if there is any validity to Prism's suggestion to fly on short lines (30-50') to master some of the techniques?  That came up several times in the video.

50’ sure, for tricks, I think I use around 60’ for trick flying - doesn’t leave much response time for “carving” the sky though unless you have the hands, and I definitely wouldn’t go shorter until you “know something”.

I’d prescribe getting:

50’x50#, 50x90#, 100’x90#.

That would be a solid starter set of lines for dual line.

• Like 1

Trying like crazy to get there. Don't know about flipping trucks though Khsidekick but I'd watch. Last time I flipped a truck kinda hurt . When researching for my 1st kite Hypnotist was 3rd. The choice between the Widow ng, Wolf ng and Hypnotist was so close it came down to money. Wouldn't have regretted either.Been saving for a higher end UL. It wouldn't make me any better of a flyer then a year of flying my Zephyr.Just want one default_smiley-devil.gif. Spending money for the Clinic would. Plus I think the fun factor would be huge.If I can make it think I'd just bring the Hydra with 100' x 130# lines.

Lol my fat fingers on my little phone plus spell correct is smarter than I am. It’s been a long time since I flipped a truck. Hope to keep it that way. Got to fly my Zephyr today. what a great kite. Hope you make it Breezin sorry we didn’t get to fly together before I left Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

10 hours ago, John Barresi said:

Fun factor is ALWAYS huge at the clinics, and as I see it, a good weekend of education and fun can literally triple the value of all the kites you already have (applied knowledge). ;) 

Agreed, and it provides rationale for buying more toys.  You know the saying - "he who dies with the most toys wins" ;) 

• Like 2

Would have been fun Khsidekick but hey life's a long  beach sometimes right LOL. Day before yesterday Zephyr winds. Yesterday Widow and today Zephyr. Sure like my Zephyr.Last week same 3 days winds rarely below 20. Lots of 25+. Got run off a few times.  Week ago Sun winds really hit hard a few times. Went to the kite and 1 line was about to come apart. 130# and it makes me think 35 or a little higher. Later winds were a little over 40 but I was drinking scotch happy that line didn't come apart close to the ground in 30+. Parts would have probably been ordered. Wasn't as exciting on the Z today but it sure was A+ pleasant.Sometimes exciting just makes me go get a tums.

• Like 1

Extremely honored to have multiple champion and kite designer Paul de Bakker joining us for this event along with Scott Weider and myself... 5 students signed up already with 11 spots still left open for this info rich and fun adventure! :)

On 5/4/2018 at 7:32 AM, RobB said:

Ground work and basic tricks, I would choose the Prism Hypnotist, it is full sized & built like a tank.

@RobB Thanks for the recommendation on the Hypnotist - you were spot on.  We've had a chance to buy several higher end stunt kites and for our current level of experience the Hypnotist is my go-to kite.  It truly is built like a tank.  The center spar's shock absorber seems like it will take almost any abuse I throw at it.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

5 hours ago, Russ Wilson said:

@RobB Thanks for the recommendation on the Hypnotist - you were spot on.  We've had a chance to buy several higher end stunt kites and for our current level of experience the Hypnotist is my go-to kite.  It truly is built like a tank.  The center spar's shock absorber seems like it will take almost any abuse I throw at it.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Hey Russ...

Glad to hear I'm not crazy. The Hypnotist (mine was called a 'Mirage' it was so long ago) was one of my first 'real' sport kites, and it stood up to tremendous abuse. I actually nose-dived it onto blacktop one time, and it withstood that without issue. I gave mine to my nephew to learn to fly about 10 years ago, but I have many fond memories of it.

The Hypno is very strong with basic tricks, and will take you a long way into your journey. If you start to feel bored with it, there are some 'mods' that you can do to it to make it more capable. I think 'Alex B' on youtube documented these... He is an amazing talent from overseas who comes up with mods for the bang-for-the-buck kites like the Hypno. Check it out...

~Rob.

• Like 2

We've been practicing our stalls and had fair success at the edge of the wind window.  We can even slide roughly 10', but as we get closer to the center of the wind window forward flight takes over and we lose the stall slide.  We've been doing this in 10-12 mph wind.  I'm curious is this to be expected (at that wind level) or is it just my skill are still sub-Jedi?  I don't mind working on my skill level, but wanted to make sure this wasn't an exercise in futility at that level of wind.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2018 at 10:27 PM, Russ Wilson said:

We've been practicing our stalls and had fair success at the edge of the wind window.  We can even slide roughly 10', but as we get closer to the center of the wind window forward flight takes over and we lose the stall slide.  We've been doing this in 10-12 mph wind.  I'm curious is this to be expected (at that wind level) or is it just my skill are still sub-Jedi?  I don't mind working on my skill level, but wanted to make sure this wasn't an exercise in futility at that level of wind.

As the kite begins approaching the center of the window, walk forward just fast enough to keep it stalled. How fast you move depends on what the wind is doing. As long as you can maintain that balance the kite will continue to slide. Putting your index fingertips on the line may help you feel that balance better.

Thanks for confirming this is just a skill thing - not a total impossibility.  We've been walking forward to keep the stall at the edge of the wind window - sounds like we're going to have to move even more to hold it as we move to the center.  Guess I better put my track shoes on :)

• Like 2

Jogging or running towards the kite isn't uncommon in winds over 10mph. If you link a few tricks together in higher winds, you will find yourself 100 or more feet down the beach from where you started ! Walk backwards to your starting point while doing precision figures...

• Like 2

And sometimes you can't move fast enough to keep it stalled. That's how you can tell you need the next level of venting. If you must move backwards to maintain the stall you can use an ultralight in that wind.

Thanks for sharing the reality of dual line flying guys - it is really helpful.  I've been flying quads for so long I'm expecting dual line to behave the same - it doesn't.  Maybe this is my wife's subtle way of forcing me to exercise more :)

You may find lowering the bridle point slightly (nose back) will make it easier to maintain a stall, try just 1/4” adjustments... Too much down on the bridle though, turns may become too sensitive and way too far, the kite won’t fly forward.

• Like 1