KiteLife Forum

Can't decide what kite to get

Bendial

Hi Everyone,

Fairly new kite enthusiast here. I had a dual line trick kite when I was a kid. I'm into my late 30's now and my partner and I recently picked up dual line kites and are totally hooked again. He got a Prism Quantum and I got a Prism Synapse 300. After flying the synapse I realize that it's not really the style that I want and I want to get a framed kite. With so many options out there and so many opinions it's hard to find one. I'm willing to spend between $100-200. I want one that I can grow into and performs well in most wind conditions. Where we live (Bay Area, CA) it can get quite windy on the coast and less windy inland and would like a kite that does well in both places. A lot of people seem to love the ITW Kymera and I see the price dropped recently to $112 so that seems like a great deal. Also looking at the E3, but I've seen lots of negativity on these forums towards that kite. Prism seems to be the only brand I have easy access to (amazon and local retailers) and other brands I will probably have to wait a long time for shipping. Would love to hear your guys suggestions!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bendial said:

A lot of people seem to love the ITW Kymera and I see the price dropped recently to $112 so that seems like a great deal.

I liked mine enough to have two. It is a great deal. 

I would suggest that you "buy up" from the Quantum. Use it as your new-flier kite

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kansas Flier said:

I liked mine enough to have two. It is a great deal. 

I would suggest that you "buy up" from the Quantum. Use it as your new-flier kite

2 hours ago, Bendial said:

Just curious why you recommend the quantum as my starter framed kite? Is it because of the durability and being able to crash it without breaking it?

I look for kite deals just about every day because I have no life and it's fun. Getting the best kite you can and grow into it was the best advice I got when starting out. Started on a Widow ng and glad I did. Learned faster because of the quality kite I believe. Oh and never, ever, ever nose dive the kite into the ground. That advice is still falling on deaf ears at times though.The ITW Hydra and Kymera are the best deals I know about right now.Have been for awhile. I got a Hydra a few months ago and it's a blast.. There's 2 of you so spend another 12 dollars apiece and get both :devil:.Don't think you'd regret it. I have a Prism Zephyr that goes for $200.00 + new and love it. The Hydra is sewn a little better in my opinion. Kymera should be to. My Hydra flies in a little lower wind then stated but gets real flippy in a light breeze which is kinda fun. Neither comes with line sets. I prefer the Hydra on 100' lines but don't know anything about the Kymera. Except I'd like to have one. JB  would probably without to much prodding or needling answer any questions you'd have about the Kymera. Even annoying newbie questions like I have at times :D. Shipping from several  U.S. shops has been fast for me.

Welcome to Kitelife. It will be hard to get one kite that satisfies all wind conditions. That is why we end up with multiple. :devil: The good news is we are moving in to the windier part of the year in the bay area, so inland should have some wind, unless you are trying to fly in some city park surrounded by trees/houses. Then it will be hard.  (Or if you're talking really inland east bay, then I don't know)

I'm afraid I don't have any additional suggestions besides what you've already received (I saw your other thread too). The Kymera sounds like a good deal. Shipping probably won't be Amazon prime fast, but I can't imagine it taking terribly long. 

What part of the bay area are you in? Do you primarily fly at Berkeley? Do you know about the kite flying area at Shoreline in Mountain View?

We’re in the Concord/Pittsburg area. We go to Berkeley when we can’t find any wind 😊. I remember there being crazy winds around the delta so we want to do some exploration out that way and find some parks. We tried the Martinez Marina park but it sucked and there was dog poop everywhere lol.

• Like 1

Yea, Berkeley vs inland is going to be quite a difference. Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with your area to give you flying location recommendations. I will say the Bay Area Sport Kite League is having an event at the Martinez Marina on June 16. We use the field adjacent to and north of the softball fields. Don't know if that's the field you tried. Don't remember seeing dog poop everywhere on that field, but the winds are not great. We will also be at Crissy Field this Saturday if you feel like making the trek all the way to SF. There should be several dual line fliers you can talk to to get ideas on what kite you might want to get. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bendial said:

Just curious why you recommend the quantum as my starter framed kite? Is it because of the durability and being able to crash it without breaking it?

Yes. The quantum is a fairly tough kite. I would suggest putting some "liquid electrical tape" on the nose piece. Re-apply as necessary. I am sure it can be broken, and there are less expensive kites that can take more abuse.  I will use my Quantum with new fliers, if the wind is right. If it's windy, I might use an Osprey. In lighter wind- I'll use a Black Dog UL. The Quantum does a nice Turtle, which is an easy trick to teach a new flier. 

You need to practice "crashing softly". If something doesn't look right after a crash, take a walk to check it out before trying to relaunch. I am certain this practice has saved me from a broken/damaged kite or 12.

• Like 1

Well, I just found out that the field we use at Martinez is currently or soon to be under construction. Leaving this info here so you don't waste your time trying to go there in the near future. Not sure when it will reopen. 

I would add my recommendation for the Widow NG. Very capable and will take you quite a while to outgrow it. Starts to pull pretty hard past 13-15 mph - that’s when I put it away. Should be able to get it from kites and fun things in a few days (not Amazon fast, but less than a week.)
Consider coming to the Berkeley Kite Festival at the end of July.
Check out the Bat Area Sports Kite League at BASKL.org

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1